Author Topic: New sprinkler system question  (Read 2492 times)

DJJ

• friend
New sprinkler system question
« on: September 23, 2007, 06:34:11 PM »
After further consideration, I decided to eliminate the "trap" in my sprinkler run by digging down to the horizontal branch of the trap and running directly there from the valve (see picture). Now my only concern is draining the branch from point B to the auto drain. Will there be a vacuum created at B that will keep that branch from draining? To the right of B it will be slightly downhill to the various spray heads, but the total drop will be a foot or so - none will be anywhere near as low as the horizontal run under the wall.

Is there a such a thing as a valve that closes when the line is pressurized, but is spring-loaded to open when the water is shut off? I'd like to put something like that at B, and I don't think the usual atmospheric vacuum breaker works that way.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: New sprinkler system question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 02:08:33 AM »
Why does it have to drain? What are your concerns?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 05:20:10 AM »
Are you going to load it with gasoline or propane?

Blog under construction

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 07:48:36 AM »

Probably freezing.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 05:41:01 PM »
Once again, it was just a matter of knowing the right name to search for. It's an "air relief valve".

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 06:26:41 PM »
Are you going to load it with gasoline or propane?

??

Spud gun reference?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 11:05:34 AM »

Probably freezing.
DOH!  cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 04:11:05 PM »
Fall is for planting, raking leaves, and blowing out your sprinkler lines by hooking your air compressor to the T you installed in the water supply line just on the outside of the water supply cutoff valve you installed.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 05:42:31 PM »
That's what the auto drains and air relief valves are for. Maybe not good enough for a New York winter, but in New Mexico, winters can be so dry and warm we still have to water now and then.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 05:49:28 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"