Author Topic: Just picked up my CZ-82 from UPS  (Read 8099 times)

wooderson

• friend
Just picked up my CZ-82 from UPS
« on: September 24, 2007, 03:58:38 PM »
Finally broke the seal on my C&R - a CZ-82 'very good'/handpicked from J&G for $235 w/ shipping. Very nice - the sights are surprisingly usable for surplus, just a couple of spots of wear overall. Action is lighter and smoother than my SP-01 was out of the box. Can't wait to get it to the range.

I went ahead and paid the handpicked fee, but does anyone know if it's a complete scam?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Re: Just picked up my CZ-82 from UPS
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 06:04:51 PM »
Hot.
Pics or didn't happen.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 04:54:30 AM »
Schweet!

What you need to do now is get used to having the Big Brown Truck of Firearms Delivery drop off packages every couple of weeks.

Then...

Get married and see the deliveries dry up to an annual event.  It is a special kind of torture.

Even so, the C&R03 pays for itself every time I order from Midway, Grafs, Brownells, etc.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 07:11:33 AM »
Pictures man, pictures!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 08:08:24 AM »
C&R FFLs are bad news for the old credit card.  Makes for a full gun safe or three, though!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 08:12:22 AM »
I went ahead and paid the handpicked fee, but does anyone know if it's a complete scam?

I only pay the handpick fee if I'm requesting a certain arsenal marking, bore condition, etc. Pay the fee only if you have them pick something specific rather than picking the next box off the pallet in front of them.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 08:14:51 AM »
C&R FFLs are bad news for the old credit card.  Makes for a full gun safe or three, though!
I'm filling out my C&R paperwork tonight.  grin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 10:04:21 AM »
I'm filling out my C&R paperwork tonight.

Its the most expensive $30 you'll ever spend. In theory it saves you money, but then again in theory, my wife getting 40% off coupons for Kohl's should save money too. laugh

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 10:14:12 AM »
I've always wanted one of those 2A's but I always seem to spend my money on something else.
My only ishapore is one of the No1MKIII* grenade launching rifles. Its crude but a good shooter, unfortunately the chamber is far looser than those on my other enfields.

Barack Obama

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 12:01:22 PM »
Unfortunately, no photos until I decide if I'm plunking down the cash for a 40D or 5D (Canon dSLR) to replace a dead Nikon.

I think one of J&G's 'like new' SKSes is next up on the list. I've been wanting something that shoots 7.62x39 but never find good AKs locally.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 12:23:03 PM »
Get a K-31 walnut before they're all gone.

Freaking tackdriver with a .308 equivalent round. And the bores are almost always mirror bright, since they used noncorrosive from the start.

There's piles of enfields and SKSs and Mosins yet, but the Swiss K-31's are drying up REAL fast.

Plus the straight pull bolt is fast! Watch how fast in this guy's video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1iOoG9rckw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 12:34:14 PM »
Straight pull may be faster, but that guy isn't.  Do you have to break cheek-weld to cycle a Schmidt-Rubin? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 12:36:40 PM »
S-Rs are great.

Until you get a sticky case.

The great drawback of the straight pull is its horrendous lack of camming force.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 12:37:18 PM »
Straight pull may be faster, but that guy isn't.  Do you have to break cheek-weld to cycle a Schmidt-Rubin? 

Nope, not at all. I don't. That's the neat thing about the straight pull, you don't need to completely lose your sight picture. You just want to have a hat on because it ejects straight up. The occasional shell does land on your head, so...  cheesy

Maybe that guy is used to traditional bolts, Mausers and such. Dunno?

And yes, the extractor doesn't have the force of something like a Mauser's to yank out a sticky case, but I've not yet had a problem shooting GP-11 with it. I love mine. Smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
Keeping a cheek weld with a Model 1911 Schmidt Rubin is impossible.

The bolt throw on the 1911 is MUCH longer than on the Model 31.

Had I tried to keep a cheekweld with my 1911 it would have taken out a number of my teeth.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 12:40:00 PM »
One thing I've always wondered, though, is whether the 12rd mag for the 1911 will fit and function in a K-31, or whether the design changed. I've never seen a 1911 in person to inspect the mag. I do know better than to buy the new Chinese K-31 mags, though, after pushing down the floorplate on one at a show and having it immediately tilt and jam pretty solidly.

Also, yes, that's a K-31 I was talking about cycling, and it's actually not really a Schmidt-Rubin at all, but everyone uses the misnomer, so it's sort of stuck. Smiley I've never touched or fired a 1911. They look pretty neat, though. And since I also have an 1878 Swiss Vetterli, I probably should get one to finish the collection.  grin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 12:47:10 PM »
ManedWolf, are you saying that one must break cheek-weld to cycle a conventional bolt-action?  I've never had to.  I've always read that the proper technique is to maintain cheek-weld while cycling a bolt-action, so I  didn't think anyone else had that problem either. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 12:49:20 PM »
I don't know if it's proper, but I've seen a lot of people do it.

I honestly haven't fired a lot of bolt-actions. A K-98 Mauser once or twice, but otherwise just my K-31 and semiautos like my father's Garand.

The Vetterli, while it's in perfect condition mechanically, hasn't been fired yet because...well, you tell me where I can buy .41 Swiss Rimfire ammo. Wink The only round I have looks about as old as the rifle, has a Swiss cross on the base, and has the bullet sealed to it with paper tape. I sincerely doubt it'd work! (and I actually wonder if I should have someone pull it, if it's got 57 grains of black powder still in it...) ?

Yes, it's gate-fed tubular magazine like a Winchester, but it's a bolt action. It confuses people.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 12:58:40 PM »
The bolt throw on the 1911 is MUCH longer than on the Model 31.
Ditto.

On the other hand, I thought that K-31s were sweet shooters, until I picked up a 1911. Love the 1911, its like driving a high end Mercedes after spending your life in a 1985 chevy cavalier.

If you can't swing the price of a 1911, get a K-31 or 3. There's surplus rifles and then there's the K-31- worth every penny and then some.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 01:00:19 PM »
The Vetterli, while it's in perfect condition mechanically, hasn't been fired yet because...well, you tell me where I can buy .41 Swiss Rimfire ammo.  The only round I have looks about as old as the rifle, has a Swiss cross on the base, and has the bullet sealed to it with paper tape. I sincerely doubt it'd work! (and I actually wonder if I should have someone pull it, if it's got 57 grains of black powder still in it...) ?

go to swissrifles.com or milsurpshooter.net . Someone on one of those sites has surely figured out how to produce ammo for the Vetterlis.

Barack Obama

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 01:05:24 PM »
The Vetterli, while it's in perfect condition mechanically, hasn't been fired yet because...well, you tell me where I can buy .41 Swiss Rimfire ammo.  The only round I have looks about as old as the rifle, has a Swiss cross on the base, and has the bullet sealed to it with paper tape. I sincerely doubt it'd work! (and I actually wonder if I should have someone pull it, if it's got 57 grains of black powder still in it...) ?

go to swissrifles.com or milsurpshooter.net . Someone on one of those sites has surely figured out how to produce ammo for the Vetterlis.

I might just do that, thanks! I've though it was a terrible shame that a rifle likely 120 years old probably hasn't had a chance to lets its voice be heard in over a century, despite being mechanically sound!

(I'd still put on a hardhat with a face shield and wear gloves for the first shot, though.)

There's a store near me that has really dangerous stuff for C&R sorts of people. Never seen a 1911, but they have a mirror-polished Dutch Beaumont with a shiny stock that feels like elegant craftsmanship.

That's an interesting bolt that one has.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 01:17:15 PM »
They have one of those at the local Cabela's. I look at it every time I go there, but I've never taken the bait yet.

Barack Obama

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
12 round mag for 1911 S-R?

Surely you jest.

This is my own Model 1911 Schmidt-Rubin, clean as the day she was issued to a relative:

That ain't no 12-round mag, trust me.  Perhaps you're confusing the 1911 with the Model 1889:

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 12:07:29 PM »
Maned,

Where's that C&R friendly store?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?