Author Topic: Just picked up my CZ-82 from UPS  (Read 8097 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Just picked up my CZ-82 from UPS
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007, 02:10:56 PM »
Pelham, NH. Collector's/Affordable Firearms And Militaria. Open Tu-We till 5, Th-Fr till 7, Sa I'm not sure.

REALLY nice people in there. And extremely dangerous racks of stuff.  They have really odd Dutch, Swedish and German things, some really early Mausers, German Mausers, Turkish Mausers, Russian SKSs, every flavor of Japanese rifle and carbine with the mum still on the receiver, and they still have beech K-31s for $160.  smiley Even had a VZ-52 last time I was in...and a Navy Garand, the shorter one with the flash hider... 

They'll negotiate, too. The place looks like an attic blew up, along with the whole floorspace full of double-sided racks of rifles, but they move a lot of guns, they want to sell, not let them gather dust. Which is why I like the place a lot and have bought multiple things there.

Of course, the intact Class III PPSh-41's on the wall just make me drool a lot.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2007, 04:57:08 PM »
Pelham, hmmm?

That's close enough!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2007, 05:02:30 AM »
J&G just put the CZ-82s on sale for $199. So they're good, then?

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2007, 11:11:16 AM »
Man, can't wait til I'm able to buy neat stuff off the interwebs. undecided
I'll be 21 in November, going to look at some handguns.  Prolly going to be a .38 J-frame or a G19.  Something small and relatively cheap...
But what I REALLY want to do is spend all the money in the world on old stuff...K98s, 1911s, Mosins, etc...
IN TIME.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2007, 02:14:18 PM »
I'll be 21 in November, going to look at some handguns.  Prolly going to be a .38 J-frame or a G19.  Something small and relatively cheap...
But what I REALLY want to do is spend all the money in the world on old stuff...K98s, 1911s, Mosins, etc...
IN TIME.

Try handling a Taurus PT145/745 or the new 24/7 compact. Inexpensive, but NICE. 10+1 of .45 ACP in a subcompact for the former.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2007, 04:28:08 PM »
IN TIME.

Try handling a Taurus PT145/745 or the new 24/7 compact. Inexpensive, but NICE. 10+1 of .45 ACP in a subcompact for the former.
Will do.  Will also look at some of their revolvers.
Will mostly come down to whichever is more comfortable.

Edit:  Liking what I'm seeing on the Taurus site.  No pics for me to drool over for the 24/7 compacts unfortunately...
Between the 145 and the 745...hard to figure out which is better.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2007, 05:50:23 PM »
Between the 145 and the 745...hard to figure out which is better.

They're the same gun, different grip width. The 145 is 10+1 and has a thicker grip, the 745 is singlestack 6+1 and has a grip no wider than the slide. Both have identical barrels, slides, etc.

I have a 745 stainless because I thought the 145 was too thick for CCW for me, and the thing vanishes into a Smartcarry or cargo pants pocket. It's barely bigger than a PF-9, and it's a .45 ACP! Smiley

Other good qualities, nice, big ejection port, flush controls that won't snag, and you don't need to pull the trigger to take it down. That was a big reason why I chose it instead of the XD.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2007, 03:38:53 AM »
Ahh, thought the grips looked different.  Also, it appears the 745 has better sites?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2007, 05:39:47 AM »
Ahh, thought the grips looked different.  Also, it appears the 745 has better sites?

The previous version DAO that I have (and prefer) came with three-dots that could be replaced by either Trijicons or Firesights. I have the latter on it.

The newer version SA/DA came with Heine straight-8's, and I'm not sure if they can be replaced.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2007, 06:10:42 AM »
As much as I hate to say it, but I think my eyesight is getting worse.  I had a really hard time plinking with .22s a few weeks ago. Sad
I'll definitely need to look into improving the sights.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2007, 06:11:12 AM »
For those that don't know, for the last year (or two?) the C&R FFL has been an acceptable item for getting Garands from the CMP.

I got my C&R at the tail end of the $30 Turkish Mauser craze. I'm waiting for some big arsenal of something or other to be discovered again so we get another one of those market floods. Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2007, 07:27:46 AM »
Well, this thread has pushed me over the edge.
I'm looking into getting a C&R.  Surprised to see that it's only $30.
woot.

The Viking

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2007, 07:56:11 AM »
Well, this thread has pushed me over the edge.
I'm looking into getting a C&R.  Surprised to see that it's only $30.
woot.
Out of curiosity: How old does one have to be to have a C&R license, and if you can get one if you are only 18, can you order C&R handguns with it?

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2007, 08:08:36 AM »
http://members.cox.net/cruffler/ffl.html
This website's been rather helpful (21 years of age limit, btw), but the forms it link to are 404'd. =\
EDIT:  http://www.familyfriendsfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31304
Another information source.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2007, 12:48:13 PM »
For those that don't know, for the last year (or two?) the C&R FFL has been an acceptable item for getting Garands from the CMP.

shocked

I did not know that! How about carbines too?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2007, 02:14:27 PM »
AFAIK, you can use it for any of the CMP firearms.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2007, 02:28:16 PM »
Yep, I used it for my 'marksmanship or shooting related blah blah blah" requirement on the order I sent in a couple of weeks ago. You still need a club membership to go with it.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2007, 03:06:49 PM »
I would really like to have a Garand.
Like.
One of my life goals. undecided

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2007, 03:11:26 PM »
I've got a pair of Mosin-Nagants (a '44 and a '91/30, though both cut down to a hair over 16"), an 1895 Nagant, a Garand coming. If only I'd gotten myself one of the special-run WWII Colts, I'd be in good shape.

I patently refuse to even consider buying a German weapon of the period. I read about how great the K-98s are, but there's no way I could ever make myself purchase one.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2007, 03:54:58 PM »
I patently refuse to even consider buying a German weapon of the period. I read about how great the K-98s are, but there's no way I could ever make myself purchase one.

Ok, I'd love to hear why not...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
It would be unconscionable for me to have any kind of Nazi paraphernalia, or weapons potentially used by the Reich, in my home.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2007, 04:27:31 PM »
It would be unconscionable for me to have any kind of Nazi paraphernalia, or weapons potentially used by the Reich, in my home.

Okeydokey.  I figured it was something patently silly like that.  Of course, you do know that you're typing that bit of self-righteousness from a computer with Communist Chinese parts inside it, don't you?

I have a Trapdoor Springfield in one of my gun safes, right next to a Waffenampt-marked Byf-42 K98 Mauser.  I would imagine that Trapdoor made us look like, oh, saints to the Native Americans of the West after about 1873, 'ya suppose?

Even my gun-owning Jewish friends can be found owning a Mauser, Luger, or Walther, so I know it ain't the Holocaust thing when people post such tripe. So, yeah, I've pretty much quit ascribing evil intentions to simple tools. That's so last week, weak-minded, and eerily reminiscent of what the Liberal Dems do with their description of "assault weapons" and so forth. The damned things are pure killing machines, possessed of the devil! Get thee behind me, Satan!   shocked

Of course, in lieu of an exorcism and the subsequent costs, I've put a webcam on my gunsafes, lest they bust loose when I'm gone and fill the streets with the blood of innocents. Damned Nazi Mausers, you just can't trust 'em. I figure I'm going straight to hell, because you know my tools of steel and wood are so evil, be they the Trapdoor Springfield that decimated the American Indian, the 1918 DWM Luger that figured into WWI, the K98 Mausers of WWII, the Bulgarian and Romanian Kalashnikovs of a now-fallen Warsaw Pact, or the little Norinco SKS that just oozes evil from its Oingo-Boingo wood stock every chance it gets. Cheese & Rice! rolleyes

But it does give me something to blog about tonight, so I do appreciate that! 

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2007, 04:34:54 PM »
Of course the guns are inanimate objects. And more than likely, nothing I own or could buy was used in combat, much less actually involved in killing someone (what was the hit-rate in WWII - 1 in a thousand rounds fired or something like that?).

That's all irrelevant: I have zero desire to own anything associated with the Nazis, even tangentially. You can own all of them you want, and I will think no less of you (though I don't particularly enjoy the gun show creeps specifically purchasing Nazi gear), you can even have my share of Lugers and Kar-98s.

But I don't want to own any and will not own any and don't particularly give a damn if you think it's weird.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2007, 04:37:30 PM »

Most guns are potentially used by criminals. So are...baseball bats! Baseball bats are used in horrific beatings. Lots of them. Would you not have a bat?

Gee, blaming the object, not the human being using it. Why, that's almost...like the Brady crowd! Be careful with that slippery slope of thought.

BTW, the Smithsonian Air and Space has an F-86 and MiG-15, both of Korean War vintage, both that saw combat time, apparently. They're parked facing each other to demonstrate they were used by adversaries. Does that offend people who flew Sabres in Korea?  rolleyes

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2007, 04:40:54 PM »
I wouldn't buy a gun from the John Dillinger Collection. Nor a knife that might have once been owned by Charlie Manson. Or, etc..

Who said anything about blaming the object?

If I were curating a museum, I would have no problem purchasing Nazi weaponry or uniforms to illustrate history. But I'm not a museum, I'm a shooter and a collector (if someone as cheap as I am can be called a collector). I choose not to collect anything Nazi-related. Don't really know why this is so controversial for you.