Author Topic: Police Website  (Read 3272 times)

billhilly66

Police Website
« on: September 25, 2007, 04:07:25 PM »
I was asked to move this over here from THR so here it is.

I ran across this link today on Reason Magazine and just had to share it.  I found the audacity of these guys hard to believe.

http://www.copswritingcops.com/home.html

http://p086.ezboard.com/fcopswritingcopsfrm2

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Police Website
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 04:23:02 PM »
Wow, that's pretty sad.  And not a little outrageous. 

Cops Writing Cops.com
Where's the Courtesy Corruption?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 04:25:38 PM »
huh?  They bitch when they don't get a pass for lawbreaking?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 05:36:18 PM »
You just can't make this s--t up.

The least they could do is not rub our noses in it by posting a website.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 05:43:58 PM »
Uh. 

I took a stroll through the CWC forum.  What a cess pool.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

billhilly66

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 06:03:02 PM »
Spread the word folks.  This needs as much attention as it can get.

I'd like to personally thank all of their D#$K of the Month club winners and nominees for doing the right thing.

I cannot believe the sense of entitlement and superiority these jerks openly flaunt.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 06:16:54 PM »
I'd love to go through these stories, find the officers being complained about, and send them a thank-you postcard for upholding the law, and bending stereotyped.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 06:38:23 PM »
Please do.  That would make a good website in itself - a list of the good guys and their work addresses, so the "civilians" can send messages of support. 

Spread the word folks.  This needs as much attention as it can get.
Would LawDog put this on his blog, perhaps? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 09:34:29 PM »
Sure brings the word "Pig" to mind, doesn't it?  angry

I wonder if that particular epithet is a reference to "Animal Farm"--that some are more equal than others?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 02:49:40 AM »
I like what Law Dog has to say about it:

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2007/09/kee-riced-all-my-tea.html

Hats off to the officers with the intestinal fortitude to Do The Right Thing.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 04:09:47 AM »
huh?  They bitch when they don't get a pass for lawbreaking?
Because those who enforce the law expect to be above it. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 04:20:30 AM »
We should bombard them with hate mail.
cwcstaff@copswritingcops.com
Dear CopsWritingCops:
You're kidding, right?  You expect to be able to cite "civilians" for offenses and crimes, and yet want a free pass from your fellow officers?  WTF!  You are not the law. You are not above the law.  You enforce the law.  How dare you hold to task those brave officers that are willing to enforce the law evenly and without regard of status or job title.  You give pigs...I'm sorry....cops a bad name everywhere! 

Edit:
Damnit....no mailbox by that name.
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
 addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<cwcstaff@copswritingcops.com>:
208.109.243.120 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.7.17)
Giving up on 208.109.243.120.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 05:00:09 AM »

Please explain that statement. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 06:09:38 AM »

Please explain that statement. 

It was a crack at those corrupt cops who think that they should get a pass for breaking the law, any law. 
It was a generalisitic statement.  Don't read too much into it.  But I generally don't like cops.  Not for the job they do, but how they do it.  And yes, I've had my share of positive experiences. 
JD

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 06:14:46 AM »
It was a generalisitic statement.  Don't read too much into it.  But I generally don't like cops.

Bingo!

I see a very transparent trend here, and it includes some pretty broad brush strokes.  Let's be careful with that, ok?   undecided

(I'd like to think we can let folks like LawDog come here and not think it's a cop-bashing forum, ya' know...)

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 07:18:56 AM »
It was a generalisitic statement.  Don't read too much into it.  But I generally don't like cops.

Bingo!

I see a very transparent trend here, and it includes some pretty broad brush strokes.  Let's be careful with that, ok?   undecided

(I'd like to think we can let folks like LawDog come here and not think it's a cop-bashing forum, ya' know...)

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/

I've also had my fair share of brushes with indifferent, uncaring and downright rude cops.  And for every one that makes CNN there are hundreds more that aren't caught being dirty, filthy liars.
If I were king I'd put Lawdog in charge of training the national police force. 
JD

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 11:22:17 AM »
Lawdog himself seems to dislike the attitudes on that website. He condemns them roundly in his best inimcable style.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 03:52:25 PM »
Quote from: LawDog
Once you swear in and accept that badge, you are -- you must be -- held to a higher standard.

Some departments don't adhere to this maxim. People living under the jurisdiction of such departments tend to be understandably less than thrilled with police-in-general. If the only cops you ever meet are power tripping douches, it's easy to extrapolate too widely from there.

So bash the bad cops, and bash the "good" cops who don't hold em accountable; but realize that, as LawDog also sez later in the post
Quote from: LawDog
We -- as peace officers -- are not better than our fellow citizens, nor are we worse than our fellow citizens.

A high % of the GP are aholes. The same is true of cops. Cops just have the power to turn "being into a jerk" into a real bad day for you.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 05:05:53 AM »
Cop lover that I am, and devil's advocate, lets look at the light side of corruption.  I'm taking the view of corruption here that 'warnings' instead of tickets are that.  There are plenty of bad laws out there, I like an officer who enforces the common sense intent and/or limits legislative ummm, transgressions (plenty of laws simply aimed at revenue through violations).  Unless there really is a matter of being reckless, I'm against speeding tickets.  Ditto for DUI, DWI charges.  Punish people for harm, not the potential.  My hometown sent some officers down for service along with as much goodies as could be rounded up for the Katrina disaster.  The police van got a ticket in Virginia (they claim they were just keeping up with traffic).  Some cops really do target other cops, ultimate power trip and whatnot.  And isn't targeting wrong? 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 07:27:24 AM »
Pretty funny site, sort of made my day cool
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 10:33:50 AM »
This reminds me of an incident in Portland, OR that happened a few months ago.  A police officer was speeding - doing 35 in 25 - in her police cruiser, without the lights on.  As a result she was ticketed via speed camera. 

So she sued the city claiming that as an on duty police officer it was her *right* to speed.  I am not making that up.  Instead of just paying the fine, which couldn't have been more than couple hundred bucks, she spent thousands bringing a lawsuit against the city of Portland to get out of it.

I do not know if she was successful; I haven't heard much about it on the news recently. But either way, the situation was completely ridiculous.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 12:38:33 PM »
A police officer was speeding - doing 35 in 25 - in her police cruiser, without the lights on.  As a result she was ticketed via speed camera. 

I dunno about OR, but in MT emergency vehicles are allowed to do 10mph over the posted speed limit.  Of course, normally the emergency lights would be on.  But my understanding is that we volunteers are allowed the same variance when responding in private vehicles.

I would think the officer in question could show (from the dispatch records) whether she was or was not responding to a dispatch, regardless of whether the emergency lights were on.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 12:44:23 PM »
A high % of the GP are aholes. The same is true of cops. Cops just have the power to turn "being into a jerk" into a real bad day for you.
And therein Macbeth lies the rub.

You can go all thru your life having had to deal with 1000's of aholes and be none the worse for the wear.

But all it takes is one bad cop to ruin not just your day but the rest of your life.

And that's a big difference and why every single instance of cop misbehaviour must be brought into the light and inspected and reinspected and shouted out to the world because evil cannot stand the light.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 02:06:22 PM »
I would think the officer in question could show (from the dispatch records) whether she was or was not responding to a dispatch, regardless of whether the emergency lights were on.

Her lights weren't on and she wasn't responding to dispatch.  I believe in Oregon they have to have their lights on and be responding to a call from dispatch in order to speed.  She was doing neither.

Edit:  Here is a link to the story:

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_032107_news_officer_ticket.e541ef.html

She was doing 40 in a 30mph zone (I got that part wrong, but I was right about the 10 over part).  Apparently, Beaverton has issued 15 citations to police officers for speeding, and dismissed 8 because they were responding to dispatch.  The officer in question was not responding to dispatch when she was caught by a speed camera.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 04:47:08 PM »
The officer in question was not responding to dispatch when she was caught by a speed camera.

Okay - that clears that up.

Not that I limit myself to exactly ten over when it looks like the entire neighborhood is about to burn up. Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin