Author Topic: Charged with assault.....for coughing?  (Read 1377 times)

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Charged with assault.....for coughing?
« on: September 27, 2007, 04:40:11 AM »
Nasty cough, nasty run-in with the law

also see:  http://ywut.blogspot.com/
Thomasi McDonald, Staff Writer

MORRISVILLE - When Morrisville police officer Chris Gill handed him a ticket, Kent Kauffman coughed. Next thing Kauffman knew, Gill was charging him with assault on a government official.

Gill contends Kauffman intentionally coughed on him three times. According to Gill's report, Kauffman looked into the officer's eyes before "hacking" in his face, Morrisville spokeswoman Stacie Galloway said Wednesday.

Kauffman acknowledges that he coughed two or three times from the window of his Dodge minivan Tuesday but said it was toward Gill's waist.

"He says I coughed in his face," Kauffman said. "But that would only work if he had a 4-foot-long face."

Kauffman said that Gill cuffed him and threw him into the side of the patrol car, and that he ended up on the ground.

"It knocked the wind out of me," he said. "He kept yelling at me to get up. I told him, 'I can't move, man, I'm sick.' "

Kauffman, an accountant for Accountemps in Chapel Hill, said he developed a cough after his dog, Blair, died of kidney failure last week. He said he was still stricken Tuesday but went to work because he needed the cash.

Kauffman was traveling on McCrimmon Parkway just after 8 a.m. when Gill pulled him over for not wearing a seat belt. Gill charged Kauffman with a Class misdemeanor. If convicted, he could spend up to 60 days in jail.

Webster's dictionary says that to cough means to expel air suddenly and noisily from the lungs through the glottis, either as the result of an involuntary muscular spasm in the throat or to clear the air passages. A Wake County judge will decide the intent behind Kauffman's cough.
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Charged with assault.....for coughing?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 05:23:56 AM »
Why did they define coughing at the end?  I guess the writer needed a reminder so he left the reference in. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:44:46 AM »
Why did they define coughing at the end?  I guess the writer needed a reminder so he left the reference in. 
Maybe thinking the ruling might hinge on the technical definition of a cough, as to whether the cough was voluntary or involuntary? Of course who defines whether it was or wasn't, and if the alleged cougher expelled any lung cheese on the police officer, which may be why the officer charged him in the first place. Utterly disgusting? Yes. Chargeable offense? Don't think so.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 12:48:40 PM »
A Wake County judge will decide the intent behind Kauffman's cough shortly after letting a rapist or murderer out on parole.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 12:51:55 PM »
Coughing on a cop = assault with bodily fluids.... if the cop wishes to press the issue.  Whether or not he actually did cough on the cop, the cop can claim it and who can really dispute it?
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 01:13:56 PM »
The time has come for common-sense restrictions on these deadly assault coughs.   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 03:06:09 PM »
wonder if there is video from patrol car?or even audio  might say a lot

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 05:32:23 PM »
The time has come for common-sense restrictions on these deadly assault coughs.   

Hell yea,

we definitely need Cough suppressors..

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 08:40:08 PM »
What we need are cops who cannot be brought down by a mere cough or stray droplet of phlegm...

Gentlemen, I bring you ROBO-TUSSIN!!!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 04:07:20 PM »
we definitely need Cough suppressors

Yeah, but you'll need a $200 tax stamp to buy one ...  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 07:37:09 PM »
I did some work for Accountemps a long time ago. Odd as I have no accounting qualifications.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.