Author Topic: Airport security arsenal adds behavior detection  (Read 1499 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Airport security arsenal adds behavior detection
« on: September 27, 2007, 11:16:28 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/travel/2007-09-25-behavior-detection_N.htm
It's a long article, so I won't paste it all in here. 

The man had caught Kinsey's eye not just because he acted nervously, but because he acted differently. Other travelers shuffling blankly along the security line that quiet afternoon showed all the emotion of cattle. This passenger's contrasting anxiety showed, in TSA parlance, "deviations from baseline behavior." He merited a closer look, a face-to-face conversation where Kinsey could scrutinize his body, voice and speech to see if his score on a TSA checklist rose to a level requiring police attention

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Airport security arsenal adds behavior detection
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 12:12:20 PM »
It's a long article, so I won't read it.  What's new about what they're doing?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 04:57:06 PM »
Other travelers shuffling blankly along the security line that quiet afternoon showed all the emotion of cattle.

Which of course was the intended result all along  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 05:10:20 PM »
The power of suggestion claims another victim.  Security guards singling out people who look suspicious.    shocked   In other news, steer are made of beef. 

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 05:56:46 PM »
"It was terribly dangerous to let your thoughts wander when you were in any public place or within range of a telescreen. The smallest thing could give you away. A nervous tic, an unconscious look of anxiety, a habit of muttering to yourself -- anything that carried with it the suggestion of abnormality, of having something to hide. In any case, to wear an improper expression on your face (to look incredulous when a victory was announced, for example) was itself a punishable offence. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: facecrime, it was called."

Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »
Sorry, I just don't understand how the passenger who was merely pulled aside for additional screening was a victim.  Was there some lasting adverse effect on the person? 
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 06:36:38 PM »
And I don't understand how this is anything new.  Looks like repackaging of an age-old technique, but reported with the usual fear-mongering about Bushitler's Orwellian police state. 

Advocates say behavior detection strengthens security by replacing "hunches" about who seems troublesome and worthy of scrutiny with research that shows how suspicious people actually look, sound and act.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 06:40:38 PM »
or a person less into rhetoric could compare it to the highly sucessful methods that the israelis have been using.  depends on point of view  or agenda

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 04:33:12 AM »
There is something called the 4th amendment.  Merely looking suspicious shouldn't garner you any extra scruitiny! 
Heil Bush!
(had to throw that in to rile up Fistful)
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 04:45:53 AM »
So now we are going to be questioning everyone who has a fear of flying.  I feel much safer  rolleyes
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 08:45:32 AM »
So now we are going to be questioning everyone who has a fear of flying.

Not only that, but I have a fear of walking around without my shoes and belt and knife and sixgun  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 12:10:17 PM »
There is something called the 4th amendment.  Merely looking suspicious shouldn't garner you any extra scruitiny! 

Huh?  I'm no cop, but I thought that was basic police work.  You see somebody acting suspiciously, you check them out.  These people are being searched and screened, anyway, so this technique is certainly not any new infringement of rights. 

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 12:38:55 PM »
be a damn shame if we adopted w2hat the israelis have used so sucessfully. we should try to lamely forge new ground rather than use a proven product. keep our record going

Archie

• friend
  • Galactic Effectuator
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 08:06:12 PM »
Heil Bush!
(had to throw that in to rile up Fistful)
The Forth Amendment guards against 'unreasonable' searches and seizures. 

JJ, would you care to describe how an interview, based on articuable facts and reasonable cause, is an invalid Forth Amendment search or seizure?  You might want to read up on 'Terry vs. Ohio' in your reseach.

Or are you under treatment for Bush Derangement Syndrome?
As long as the citizens of the United States own and keep personal weapons, we can argue about all the other issues that concern us.  The instant we lose the ability to keep weapons, our masters will decide all those other issues for us.