Author Topic: LimeWire  (Read 6565 times)

Paddy

LimeWire
« on: September 27, 2007, 04:45:54 PM »
Anybody else use this? U can get any kind of mUsiC u want.

Right now, I'm listening to Dizzy.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: LimeWire
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 05:21:43 PM »
I promise not to duck.

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 05:31:55 PM »

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 07:13:54 PM »
The Evil Teenager installed that on her mommy's confuser. Said confuser got extremely bogged down with Bad Things.

Blog under construction

Paddy

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 07:17:44 PM »
The Evil Teenager installed that on her mommy's confuser. Said confuser got extremely bogged down with Bad Things.

Only because he doesn't know how to protect himself. Some of us do.  smiley

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 03:31:13 AM »
Had to fix a computer with Limewire on it once. Dumbass cousin's fault.

Said computer was loaded down with a whole bunch of crap. Including a nice little program that would try to dial up to the internet and presumably incur long distance charges...

I had to nuke the hard drive and install Windows.

Limewire acts like a virus, IMHO.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 04:13:20 AM »
Agreed.
I hate limewire, but what else is thar?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 05:02:47 AM »
You people are gonna have fun when you download one of the RIAA-spiked download songs and get a bill for $5k in the mail.

They do it all the time. You do know that, right?  smiley

BTW, instead of wasting time searching for crappily encoded music ripped on some teenager's failing Dell, I just spend the time doing billable work so I can buy it. I also tend to buy trance and progressive tracks direct from artists' sites, encouraging them to do more.

"Public domain" being called on music is bullsh_t. It takes a LOT of time and effort to do and produce something creative, from commercially released music to artwork, and if you just steal it, you're an economic parasite, no different than a shoplifter or a welfare cheat.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 05:05:19 AM »
Limewire's just a specific "brand" of client to the Gnutella network.  Look for an open source generic version.  I'm sure one has to exist for Windows computers.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 07:43:05 AM »
The problem isn't the client, the problem is people who download crap without knowing what it is.  An open source, or generic Gnutella client won't fix that.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 07:49:48 AM »
LimeWire is bad juju, period.  You're better off finding an open-source version, and checking it for the metric buttload of spyware that's inherent in LimeWire. 

I used WinMX for a long time.

Just to clarify Manedwolf's overly-broad statement, there is public domain music, but the average computer user is too greedy, and will find it a pain researching the artists and the songs they've released for that usage. Wink 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 07:54:19 AM »
Yes, there's public domain music...and it's usually available for download via the artist's website, or from a torrent link from their website. Lots of live mixes are available that way, since they were done at live public venues and the mix artist doesn't mind.

Most filesharing users know quite well they're illegally stealing music from commercial labels. And honestly, when I see a sob story about some college student who got nailed with a $10k fine for DL'ing the latest "fitty cent" or White Stripes or whatever is the marketed artist du jour, all I can conjure up in terms of reaction is to point and laugh. Smiley

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 08:09:32 AM »
thanks for the warning guys i deleted limewire

Paddy

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 04:33:18 PM »
So did I  smiley

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
I played with Limewire some...but really, just use Emule.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

mfree

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 08:52:08 AM »
DC++, and whole albums via torrent.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 08:56:50 AM »
guys - keep in mind too that you also get whatever bitrate chose by some teenager who was only concerned about how many songs he could cram on the crappod...
Blog under construction

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 09:49:41 AM »
That's why if you only get 160 or higher bitrate songs, if you're downloading music.

But some types of music just aren't affected noticeably by decreased bitrate (like certain types of metal,) so it really don't matter.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

macadore

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 07:42:45 PM »
Deleting Limewire wont get rid of the spyware it puts on your computer. Get AdAware and run a full system scan. It will take a while.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2007, 04:59:23 AM »
Spybot - Search and Destroy is a good, free, spyware fighting program.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 06:12:27 AM »
I would avoid Limewire kazaa and the like. 
If you want to access the world wide library.. I suggest using the bittorrent protocol

As for the legalities involved.  There are tons of legitimate reasons to use a popular and quite effective data transfer protocol like bittorrent.

Any violations of the law you engage in would be a civil case (unless your into taking cameras into movie theaters, that is now a criminal offense in the states)
...for now that is.  Give the MPAA and RIAA their way and you'll spend life in prison for downloading a crap pop song that you can hear on the radio.

I don't buy music, and wouldn't if I had money to burn.  I also don't download it either. 
The music industry as we know it can go fall into a lake of fire for all I care.

I prefer to see my hard earned dollars go directly to artists that actually HAVE talent. 
And what do you know.. there are tons of independent artists that are willing to give you their music to listen to.
Just for the word of mouth.

The traditional models surrounding the distribution of intellectual property are suffering a slow death.
I believe that it won't be too long until they wake up and realize that it's better to give the content away for free, in order to attract attention to a site that generates you ad revenue. (wow that sounds alot like radio..which I've heard is somewhat successful :p )
Which means you will actually have to produce something people want, if you want to make money off it.

If you think I'm wrong then ask yourself why there is a concerted effort to kill internet radio.

The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2007, 06:17:31 AM »
I have nothing but contempt for the music industry.  Which sucks cause I like music.
As a musician myself, I think that music is for everyone.  I believe that if someone truly likes your song, they'll pay for it even if they can get it for free (I feel the same way about games and movies).
Unfortunately, I just can't afford most things these days, but I'm keeping a list.  I've already gone back and bought games that I've downloaded and enjoyed and movies as well.  Unfortunately for me, this small town Wal-Mart doesn't carry much of the music I like.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2007, 11:56:08 AM »
I just pay for my music, you cheap bastards!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2007, 12:20:06 PM »
I need the money for crack.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2007, 12:46:42 PM »
If you think I'm wrong then ask yourself why there is a concerted effort to kill internet radio.

IMO, the effort to kill off internet radio is because internet radio and internet distribution kill off the middleman, and the middleman is the record labels that suck most of the profit from the artists.

If the artist can sell directly for 100% of profits and get direct publicity, they become superfluous.