Author Topic: Electrician Apprenticeship  (Read 1023 times)

mgdavis

• friend
Electrician Apprenticeship
« on: October 09, 2007, 11:12:31 AM »
I've been doing some more thinking about what I want to do with my life. I have mostly ruled out turbine generator mechanic at this point, I really don't feel that I am anywhere close to qualified for that niche field. However, looking at that got me thinking about what trades are in demand.
It seems to me that Electricians are always going to be able to find work. I discovered that there is an Apprentice School, Puget Sound Electrical JATC, located in Renton. They have several programs, including a five year Construction Apprenticeship. This seems like a field that I could get into. It pays well also, as an apprentice I would start at $14.77/hr and work my way up to $31.39/hr while in school. They claim that the going rate for a Journeyman Electrician is almost $40/hr.
Is anyone here an Electrician? Got any input? I'm nervous about being trapped near Renton for five years, I really don't care for that side of the water. Is there any reason that I really shouldn't want to do this? I'm semi-concerned about the math required. Algebra failed to interest me in school, so I didn't retain much of it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Electrician Apprenticeship
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 11:20:54 AM »
Check out the local IBEW union and see what they have in terms of apprenticeships.

My father is master electrican and I once thought about doing the union program while I was frustrated about trying to find a better job before I found my current occupation.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 11:23:12 AM »
If I read correctly, the school is essentially run by the union.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 11:25:55 AM »
A friend of mine is an electrician (I think he's journeyman, but not sure).  The money is definitely good if you're in an area with lots of work.  He also does work on the side for extra cash.  He didn't think it was too hard to get through the training and he seems to enjoy it.  He was a Harley mechanic before.

Chris

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
Our usual electrician gave up his business after getting stiffed on a big chunk of work. He's now working for a school district, making good money with the usual school district benefits, picks up extra work nights and weekends.

If you're planning to go it alone, as with any construction business, it can be risky. He was in real trouble after that one developer screwed him. But if you want a steady paycheck with a union or particular outfit, seems like a good living.

And at the risk of going to an unpleasant place, it's one of the few construction fields that faces relatively little danger from immigrants.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

jlyent

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 11:51:26 AM »
Don't let the math break the deal for you. I was horrible at algebra in school , but the math required for my electrical courses was a breeze. Of course in 1972 I didn't have a scientific calculator to help me. An electrician can pick just about any part of the country (or world) to live & work in ,once he  has the bonafides. I'm not an electrician myself but two of my uncles & several good freinds are. I just took construction electricity courses at the local jr college to use some benifits offered when they moved the factory I worked at to china. good luck, jim