Author Topic: Browning 1919 - Progress!  (Read 1482 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Browning 1919 - Progress!
« on: October 09, 2007, 03:31:52 PM »
I finally got off my lazy behind and started work on my semi-auto Browning 1919 right side plate build.

After working with computers non-stop in college, it felt really, really good to work with my hands on something.  This part started off life as a piece of A36 Hot Rolled steel, .250" x 5" x 36".  Just a few more cuts and holes, and it'll be done.  Then to deal with modifying the trigger group for semi-automatic function, and final machining of the internal parts.

I'm sweaty, there's grunge under my nails, I have metal chips in my hair, and my feet are tired.  It's been a good day.  smiley

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Browning 1919 - Progress!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 03:43:28 PM »
Wow, cool! Not to many people willing to try a project that complex. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 05:51:56 PM »
So, are you building this from a parts kit I guess? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 05:57:02 PM »
What are you using in the mill department? Nice work.  I like seeing stuff like this, proof that the wackos will never put the gun genie back in the bottle. Where did you get the blueprint/parts kit and what do you think your total money and time will be to a functional weapon? In short, I want one!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 03:47:33 AM »
So, are you building this from a parts kit I guess? 

Yea, I have a $300 parts kit from Ohio Ordinance.  The RSP is being fabricated from scratch.

What are you using in the mill department? Nice work.  I like seeing stuff like this, proof that the wackos will never put the gun genie back in the bottle. Where did you get the blueprint/parts kit and what do you think your total money and time will be to a functional weapon? In short, I want one!

I have a Rong Fu model 31.  Yes, it's a chinese mill, but it fit my budget and is very rigid.  The blueprint is presumably from the US government, I'm working with the one listed here.  This is my first real milling project, so I've been learning as I go.

I probably have about 4-6 hours of actual machine work into it so far.  Cost - $299 for parts kit, $12ish for sideplate steel, and $15 for rivet set.  I'm trying to find specs for the semi-auto sear so I don't have to spend another $100 on them.  So, not counting tooling costs, I'd say under $350 with shipping if I can make my own semi-auto sear.  There's probably another solid weekend and a half of work to be preformed.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 03:14:29 PM »
So what are the legal issues with this?  I guess is it okay as long as you make it semi-auto and don't have the parts to make it full auto?  Just curious. 

Even a parts kit of something like that set up on a tripod would be really cool. 

It makes me wonder what a machine shop would charge to mill that plate.  I'm lazy.  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 03:42:34 PM »
MAKE ME ONE.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 03:44:43 AM »
. . . Then to deal with modifying the trigger group for semi-automatic function,
It's a shame you have to do this . . . the lengths we go to in order to avoid Club Fed or the Graybar Motel . . .  police
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 03:56:21 AM »
So what are the legal issues with this?  I guess is it okay as long as you make it semi-auto and don't have the parts to make it full auto?  Just curious. 

To make a legal semi-automatic 1919 from a parts kit, you have to start with a thicker then normal sideplate, and mill most of it down except an island that covers at least parts of 3 internal parts. (Ie, bolt, lockframe, trunion)  The side plate is normally 0.187" thick, so what people do is start with a piece of quarter inch thick plate, and mill down most of it by 0.063".

Of course, you have to make relief cuts in the internal parts to make clearance for the island.  You also have to modify the lockframe and bolt to work only in semi-automatic capacity, and no longer accept the old full auto trigger.

Quote from: Everyone
It makes me wonder what a machine shop would charge to mill that plate.  I'm lazy.  Cheesy
MAKE ME ONE.

Hmm... What's a fair price for an "80%" plate?  grin  Although if I ever get into significant production, I want to CNCify my mill.