Author Topic: $!@#%@#% construction!  (Read 4245 times)

crt360

• friend
$!@#%@#% construction!
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2006, 02:05:58 PM »
Quote from: Monkeyleg
Today, at about 1:30 pm, the guy with the Ditch Witch hit a natural gas main pipe. Must have been a main pipe, because the hissing sound was so loud folks heard it a block away.
This is a good time to run away, fast.

. . . the foreman ran to the site with this "OhMyGod" look on his face.
He should have been running FROM the site with the same look on his face.

We closed our windows, but the gas was in the air, everywhere. I still have a headache.

What I find really interesting is that nobody went door-to-door to tell people to leave. Nobody even called the fire department to have a truck nearby, just in case things went south.
Y'all are very lucky.  The city probably didn't want to lose a fire truck.

Instead, they got a guy from Wisconsin Gas. He put on his flame-retardant suit, oxygen tank, some sort of face shield/helmet and other gear, and had him go down to check it out.
I wonder if he can even get life insurance?  All that gear is just to boost his confidence a bit.

Have you ever seen what happens when one of those leaks ignites?  If it happens fast, it's just like a giant torch.  If enough gas leaks out and settles in the neighborhood . . . BOOM!!!  Blows it all to hell.  Many years ago, my grandpa's business blew up from a gas line leak outside the place.  It blew up after the gas company came out to fix it.  Several family members were seriously injured.  As a result, I've always been wary of natural gas leaks and amazed by the complete destruction of buildings and sometimes whole blocks when conditions become right and something sets it off.

edited to add:  if you ever find yourself in the presence of a gas leak, don't use your phone, don't turn off or on lights or appliances, don't smoke (you'd be surprised how many people don't think a lit cigarette will ignite a flammable substance), don't start your car, just get away on foot as fast as you can.  The smelly additive in the gas is your warning; hearing a loud hiss should make the "holy crap" alarm in your brain go off; once the gas has accumulated in your home enough to cause a headache and other physical symptoms, you're in a really bad situation.
For entertainment purposes only.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
$!@#%@#% construction!
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 06:12:57 PM »
Thanks for the reply, crt360.

I called the fire department today to see if they'd even been notified.

Nope.

I called the city engineer's office to let them know that the lieutenant at the fire department said that the crew should have called 911.

The engineer's office said they would add my complaint to the long list of other complaints about the project.

I'd call my city councilman to complain, but his voicemail box has been full for weeks.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
$!@#%@#% construction!
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2006, 04:55:16 AM »
Natural Gas

One of my cousins hired a company to tile his crop field. Crew showed up, hit a gas line, big explosion and everything that wasn't steel was vaporized.

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
$!@#%@#% construction!
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2006, 05:08:46 AM »
My father is the borough engineer (civil) in Lewistown, Pennsylvania. Lewistown has a VERY old infrastructure, and requires a lot of work. They still come up with wooden watermains occasionally.

They were reconfiguring an intersection a few months ago and hit a 4" high pressure gas line.

It wasn't on any of the maps, either the borough's OR the gas company's.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
$!@#%@#% construction!
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2006, 12:51:51 PM »
Mike, in this instance there were yellow Gas Company flags on either side of the 4' trench they were digging to indicate the presence of a gas pipe.