Author Topic: Panic attacks?  (Read 2660 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Panic attacks?
« on: May 15, 2006, 01:44:35 PM »
Yesterday I was visiting my folks for Mothers Day.

My brother and I got to talking about anxiety and panic attacks. My father was almost in complete denial, saying that it was "all in our heads." (Well, yeah, it is).

I started having extremely bad panic attacks when I was in my late 20's. It didnt happen to my brother, who's seven years older than me, until he was in his 50's. Some of my attacks were so bad that my wife could actually hear the bed rattling on the floor.

I figure the depression/anxiety gene is from my mother's side, since my dad's never had the problem, but she has. But all five of us boys have suffered from it.

My dad's response was interesting, since I've encountered similar responses from many other people who've never gone through it. Sometimes I've wished that they could experience a bad attack if only for five minutes, just to know what it's like.

After years of seeing a shrink, I finally figured out how to deal with them on my own. It was like being released from a Mexican prison. Where prior to that I couldn't even go to a restaurant or walk a block from my house, I was suddenly able to take solo trips on my motorcycle all over the country and do other things that previously would have been unthinkable.

Has anyone else gone through this? And, if so, how did you overcome it?

crt360

• friend
Panic attacks?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 02:30:31 PM »
I have a problem when my picture is being taken.  It sounds pretty funny, but it can be bad, even if I'm just getting it taken for an ID or driver's license.  If you take my picture with a telephoto from 50 yards away and I don't know, there's no problem.  The worst is at family reunions, holidays, parties, formal gatherings, etc. where people make me pose with others and smile for several minutes while they try to figure out why their flash won't work.  I think it must be similar to what claustrophobic people feel in confined spaces.  I've only experienced it for about the last 10-15 years.  I haven't overcome it.  I thought if I took my own picture a bunch of times it would go away, but apparently the problem does not exist when I'm shooting myself.  I just try to avoid having my picture taken.
For entertainment purposes only.

Azrael256

• friend
Panic attacks?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 02:36:26 PM »
My mother did.  Regularly.  It stems from the... unpleasantness with my father.

I have a very special loathing for every psychiatrist she has ever seen.  They all medicated her.  Some people have a chemical problem and require medication.  We all knew mom didn't.

So, the solution is to find what stimulus is causing the problem, and eliminate it.  With mom, it was very, very obvious.  I hoofed it down to the local YWCA, got a pile of information about it, and got her into a group counseling program with women who have been through the same sorts of things.  The drugs caused her to rather closely mimic bipolar disorder depending on dosage, time, and which particular pill she was on that week.  Counseling makes her... well, normal.

That, and the dog.  The little fuzzball is very sensitive to mom's emotions, and tends to bombard her with demands (walking, playing, tummy rubs, etc.) when mom is feeling poorly.

ArmandTanzarian

Panic attacks?
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 04:18:11 PM »
Yes, I've had the same thing.  The answer is PROZAC, combined with other stress management efforts/techniques.  It works.  It may take a few weeks to completely kick in, but it's an SRI - a seratonin re-uptake inhibitor - your seratonin levels are probably very low, and this solves the problem for the most part, or at least it should make the attacks so minor that they're easy to overcome with just a smidge of positive thinking.  Go to any general practice doc and tell them what you want.  The drugs made a world of difference for me - I've never had so much confidence as now.  Side effects for me are slightly decreased libido, but not enough to really matter.  Started off on Paxil, but Prozac is a cheaper SRI (generic equivalent) and for me, works better, not to mention has a better degradation half-life (not as bad if you forget to take a day or two).  There are other SRIs as well, such as Zoloft, etc.  Take as little as possible that still works for you - I take 10mg per day.

In addition to this, you'll want to manage your stress - the single fastest, easiest, & best way to do this is with regular exercise.  But also a good diet, high in veggies, fruits & fiber.  Also, do relaxation techniques such as breathing exercises, taking walks in the woods/country, going on vacation more often, getting massages, yoga exercises, reducing your workload/hours at work, getting a pet or two, etc., etc., etc.  Also, getting some sex regularly doesn't hurt, even if that means, ummm, errrm, going solo.  Smiley

Interesting that a shrink helped you without drugs - maybe I should try that instead, in order to wean off of the drugs.  My attacks were few and far between but very stressful - racing head, difficult to breathe, intense fear, etc. (fight or flight response).  But I believe its all about the seratonin levels, and you've found a way through the counseling to have enough peace of mind to keep your brain from "re-uptaking" all the seratonin so that the levels are virtually nil.  Which is great - no drugs.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Panic attacks?
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 05:46:16 PM »
ArmandTanzarian, just to be clear: I don't have the problem anymore, at least to the extent that it interferes with my life.

And it wasn't a shrink that "cured" the anxiety problem. As I mentioned above, it was just me one day saying "I'm sick of this and won't tolerate it any longer."

Because of my sleep problems, I've had Prozac, Paxil and other sleep meds prescribed; I have negative reactions to every one.

I started this thread because I was interested in hearing the experiences of others. As I said, people who've never been through this just have no understanding. They seem to be more tolerant of heroin junkies than they are of people who suffer from anxiety.

No big deal. I just thought some others here might have had similar experiences and wanted to share how they dealt with it.

zahc

• friend
Panic attacks?
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 05:59:04 PM »
I am unable to wear rings. I sweat, my heartrate goes up, I have some kind of claustrophobia regarding rings.

Also, a couple times I've entered weird hypnotic like states, like you would expect from extreme sleep deprivation or drug use, but for no such reason. People have described the way I acted as panic attack-like. Both times, these spells were triggered by analog clocks.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Panic attacks?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 06:47:26 PM »
Fugettaboutit.

Lennyjoe

• friend
Panic attacks?
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 07:17:20 PM »
My son and wife have panic attacks from time to time.  I don't know if I have ever had one but when I'm out in the middle of BFE hunting I tend to get a bit worked up.  Nothing out of control just start thinking stupid thoughts like what if I blow out a knee or twist an ankle and no on will find me.  Maybe it's more of a survival concern.  Don't know for sure.

As for my wife and son, I don't think it's been bad enough to just want to quit but I have seen them freak out a little bit.   My son had them quite often when I was in Korea but when I returned they seemed to decrease dramatically in numbers.  I might of brought them on cause I told him before I left for Korea that he was the man of the house and had to take care of the girls (wife and 2 daughters) while I was gone.  Big responsibility for an 18 year old.

Marnoot

• friend
Panic attacks?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 08:49:37 PM »
I got hit with severe obsessive compulsive disorder (minus the compulsions) a little over 4 years ago. It was completely out of the blue. Literally one day I was fine, and the next I wanted to die the anxiety was so bad. Pure-obsessive OCD was nothing I'd ever heard about before, thus I had no idea what was wrong with me and that made it much, much worse. I'd always associated OCD with compulsions, like people who turn light switches on and off repeatedly, etc. It was unbearable for several months, then became slightly better but continued on for quite awhile after. Telling how I overcame it would require more details about pure-obsessive OCD than I want to bore anyone with, but long story short is that I had to accept my illogical and intense fears as possibilities; very, very remote possibilites but possibilities none-the-less. Hardest thing I've ever done. The Dr. was rotating me through various medications trying to find something that worked, but it ended up being some therapy and my own mind that got me over it.

Quote from: Monkeyleg
As I said, people who've never been through this just have no understanding. They seem to be more tolerant of heroin junkies than they are of people who suffer from anxiety.
That has been my experience as well. "Just get over it," seems to be the prevailing attitude. I still get the occasional anxiety flare-up, always triggered by something random. Trying to talk about it to people who don't understand is very frustrating. "Why would you get anxious over that?" They just don't understand how I can continue to experience anxiety even though I recognize intellectually that it is illogical.

Strings

Panic attacks?
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 09:01:06 PM »
Can't say I've ever HAD a panic attack: dealt (and occassionally still do) deal with extreme depression, but never had a panic attack. Had a coworer have one while riding home with me from Racine one night: that was one Hell of an eye opwner. I think I fell into the category Dick described: "just get over" until I saw what TJ was dealing with...

Honestly, what seemd to help him (may help others, may not) was to have someone talking to him. I can't remember what-all I babbled out that night, but i was talking almost nonstop from Milwaukee to Manitowoc before he got himself under control. But having someone talking seemed to help him out...

brimic

• friends
Panic attacks?
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 10:59:26 PM »
A guy who I used to work with had frequent panic attacks. The first time it happened while at work it was a bit scary, his face turned red, he wa sweating profusely and talking gibberish rapidly. He ended up going on disability for about a month before the doctors found a coctail of drugs that allowed him to live a somewhat normal life.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HForrest

Panic attacks?
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 11:19:18 PM »
My cousin has problems with anxiety and panic attacks. Marij... I mean, Paxil, has proven to be an efffective aid for her.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Panic attacks?
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 12:56:53 AM »
I used to get panic attacks while driving over really big bridges a while back. I seemed like it was a depth perception / vertigo thing and may even have been related to my eyeglass prescription. Looking up at high structures makes me dizzy even today. I never sought any help and eventually got over it but I was clenching my teeth and white knuckling it over a lot of bridges for a while. I used to HATE the Tappan Zee bridge but the last time I went over it I didn't have a problem.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Antibubba

• friend
Panic attacks?
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 03:28:09 AM »
Mine are almost always in Spring and Fall; from winter into spring and summer into fall.  Xanax works just fine.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Panic attacks?
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 01:50:57 PM »
Bill, I always tease you on this forum, but you really did your friend TJ a favor.

Since so few people experience panic attacks, it's hard to tell someone that you're having one. A sympathetic, trusted friend is one of the best "medications" there is.

An art director I worked with a lot had a major attack while at my studio. I sat with her and told her that I'd been through all that, and just tried to comfort her.

My sales rep didn't understand, and just talked later about how looney she was.

The drugs can help (I still take Valium), but just accepting it, as Marnoot mentioned, goes a long way toward making things better.

There are worse things in life to suffer from, though. For example, my neighbor is a bigotted asshat. Panic attacks last just a little while, but he's himself 24/7 for life.

Antibubba

• friend
Panic attacks?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 06:56:36 PM »
zahc said:

"I am unable to wear rings. I sweat, my heartrate goes up, I have some kind of claustrophobia regarding rings."

Whoa!  Just how many times have you been married?  Wink

Strings

Panic attacks?
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 09:06:37 PM »
>There are worse things in life to suffer from, though. For example, my neighbor is a bigotted asshat. Panic attacks last just a little while, but he's himself 24/7 for life.<

Ok Dick... you owe me a new keyboard! have it with ya saturday...

publius

• friend
Panic attacks?
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 12:55:00 AM »
That has been my experience as well. "Just get over it," seems to be the prevailing attitude. I still get the occasional anxiety flare-up, always triggered by something random. Trying to talk about it to people who don't understand is very frustrating. "Why would you get anxious over that?" They just don't understand how I can continue to experience anxiety even though I recognize intellectually that it is illogical.
Get over what? Examples of these random things? Get anxious over what? I've heard of disabling panic attacks, but know almost nothing about them. Not trying to make fun or anything, just curious.

FWIW, the only really irrational fear I have is ledges. Specifically, standing near ledges with nothing to grab. I don't mind sitting on a ledge, and I'll stand next to one if there is anything at all to grab for balance. I love high places, and I'm a pilot, so it's not a problem with heights, just ledges. The fear is that I'll just topple over the edge, but I know that I don't usually just topple over when standing still.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Panic attacks?
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 11:34:33 AM »
publius, I can't speak for others, but for me there was no predicting when an attack would hit or what might cause it. After awhile the fear of the attacks almost becomes its own trigger.

A friend of mine and I were having coffee one day (this was many years ago), and the waitress spilled some coffee on his lap. That was enough to set off a full-blown attack for him.

The symptoms of a panic attack include thinking that you're dying, thinking that you're going insane, thinking that you're having a heart attack, rapid heartbeat, sweating, shaking, and more. Sometimes they'd all hit at once. When they'd hit me, I'd just want to get out of the situation as fast as possible. This wasn't always possible, such as when I was showing my portfolio, which just made things even worse. Hard to try to sell photography to an art director when you think you're going insane.

I'd generally have an escape route planned before I went anywhere in public. I never used the escape routes, but planned them nonetheless.

Such planning and anticipation would usually result in me having an attack, because I was already setting myself up for one. Once I was able to rid myself of the attacks, I trained myself to not think about them, because doing so made them almost inevitable.

I wish I could explain them further, but I can't. Suffice it to say that I'd rather have a tooth drilled without novocaine (which I have) than have another panic attack.

Marnoot

• friend
Panic attacks?
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 12:51:03 PM »
Quote from: publius
Get over what? Examples of these random things? Get anxious over what?
I'm not always successful at properly explaining pure-obsessive OCD, but I'll give it a whirl here. It can be quite a range of things, and it can take many subjects as its targets. This Wikipedia articledoes a decent overview. I'll expand on a couple examples given in that article. Every normal person has occasional bizarre thoughts, that normally one just discounts as just another weird thought. Examples:

1. A heterosexual man is making love with his wife when the name of his male best friend happens to flash through his mind.
2. A loving mother spots a pillow and has a momentary apprehension of infanticide.

Someone who did not suffer from OCD would likely immediately forget about #1 as just a wierd thought. One with OCD would sieze on that thought and begin obsessing about it, worrying that they were somehow out of their own control becoming gay. These obsessions are just that, obsessions. It becomes just about all he can think about. He knows logically, intellectually, that he's not gay, but he just can't shake the anxiety, the very strong fear that he's becoming gay. A mild example is George from Seinfeld who becomes worried he's becoming gay because while receiving a massage from a male masseuse he thought " 'it' moved."

With the number 2 example, a non-OCD mother who had such a thought would likely dismiss it with "what a terrible thought!" and forget about it. Again though, one with OCD would seize on it: "Oh my gosh! What if I harm my children?" She'd begin obsessing about it, worrying that somehow, out of her control, she was going to turn into a child-murderer. She loves her children and has no desire to harm them, but can't stop thinking about "what if I somehow lose control and suddenly kill them?" These obsessions snowball and can become disabling to the point of not being able to get out of bed.

Those are just two examples, the obsessions can latch onto just about any random thought and run with them. Obsessions like these, and several others had me in emotional/mental hell for months. For me, recovery was a combination of things: While medication was not the cure for me, I do believe it made the obsessions/anxiety bearable enough that I could actually tackle the problem with research, reading, introspection and therapy. I still get anxiety flare-ups occasionally once a year or so, always triggered by some random event or thought, and almost always as illogical as the two examples given, but when it happens I'm much more able to handle it now because I can see it coming and 'head it off' before it gains any momentum.

publius

• friend
Panic attacks?
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2006, 05:23:55 PM »
Wow, thanks for sharing, folks. I think I understand less now than before I asked, but thanks anyway! Wink It sounds truly weird and disturbing, waaay beyond not wanting to walk near a ledge.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Panic attacks?
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 06:02:41 PM »
Quote from: publius
Wow, thanks for sharing, folks. I think I understand less now than before I asked, but thanks anyway! Wink It sounds truly weird and disturbing, waaay beyond not wanting to walk near a ledge.
Publius, if you want to understand, go out and buy yourself a hit of LSD. Then go find yourself a Marine drill instructor to get in your face.

I'm serious.

Strings

Panic attacks?
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2006, 07:25:53 PM »
Publius: if you want to try Dick's suggestion, I volunteer to play DI... :evil:

I've "played" with people trippin' before: it can be SOOO much fun!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Panic attacks?
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 12:53:39 PM »
That is evil, Bill.

Antibubba

• friend
Panic attacks?
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2006, 06:19:54 PM »
Publius:     I've had one or two panic attacks that had all the symptoms of a heart attack.  I drove myself to the ER at 3 am to get it checked out.

Other times it was like I was being buried alive-I couldn't get enough air, and a massive weight was sitting on my chest.

I can't recommend the LSD.  But try to imagine you woke up to find out that Ted Kennedy was President, Hillary was VP, Schumer was Attorney General, and the head of Homeland Security is Sarah Brady.  Feinstein is heading up BATFE.

Gotta stop-I'm having trouble breathing just thinking about it.