Author Topic: Graphic computers for Commercial Art  (Read 2871 times)

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
Graphic computers for Commercial Art
« on: May 15, 2006, 05:34:43 PM »
My son Peter is going to the local Career and Technology center for computer aided Commercial Art and he "wants" a newer computer.  He is using a Dell Optiplex GX110 with 512meg of ram and a 900 Mhz processor and a 10 and 20 gig hard drive.  He has a dual monitor setup using 2 different monitors, both are 17" but one is a flat screen CRT and the other is a curved screen CRT.  He is now using Photoshop 7.

What platform is better for his needs, The CTC uses Macs and His BIL uses Intel.
What is a good low priced setup and what drawing tablet do you like...
Brian
<><
:)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 06:06:46 PM »
wacom tablets

for photoshop a g5 is the current monster platform
http://www.apple.com/powermac/
expect it to get replaced with an intel processor this winter and become unworthy

photoshop 10 will be out next year, hopefully optimised for the duo core intel procesors

he should be able to do all class work on a mac mini duocore

clearance:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/0.RSLID?mco=6C17B77C&nclm=SpecialDeals
Refurbished Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHz SuperDrive
512MB DDR400 SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA
16x SuperDrive (double-layer)
Three PCI Slots
ATI Radeon 9600
Learn More
Original price: $1,999.00
Your price: $1,549.00
Estimated Ship:
30 business days
Free Shipping
" Save 23% off the original price

Refurbished Mac mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo
512MB memory (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM)
80GB Serial ATA hard drive
Double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
Apple Remote
Learn More
" Save 13% off the original price
Original price: $799.00
Your price: $699.00
Estimated Ship:
3-5 business days
Free Shipping
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 06:47:27 PM »
Brian, Harold has given good advice on the Mac option. I think you need to do a needs assessment first though. Who are his potential employers when he graduates, and what are they using?

Doesn't do him any good to learn all the ins and outs of the Mac if his employers are using Windows or a Unix workstation. If Windows is the choice, the upgrade path would be the Dell Precision Workstation Model 380.

Here's a link to a downloadable brochure in PDF format:
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/precn/en/spec_precn_380_en.pdf

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 12:13:49 AM »
The platform is somewhat important but as an employer my main concern is what programs he is familiar with, Adobe Indesign or at least Pagemaker will score big.  It only takes a week or two to make the transition from MAC to PC but  years to master graphic arts programs.  Can he do a four color separation with color correction?
Career Corrections

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 03:04:47 AM »
Can he do a four color separation with color correction?
He is in the art side of it not the printing side, so no he does not know how to do a four color sep.
Brian
<><

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 04:18:37 AM »
graphic artists that can not make printable files are amusing,
ones that make up files generating 15 spot colors are career path limited

Wink

the nice thing about the duo core macs is they can now boot XP
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 06:36:34 AM »
Quote from: Harold Tuttle
ones that make up files generating 15 spot colors are career path limited

Wink
Explain please.
When I did my Graphic arts for my degree in Industrial Arts we used Mac 512s and similar.  I have not done much but some Paint Shop Pro to mush some photos for viewing on my wallpaper
Brian
<><

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 07:58:11 AM »
I think what Harold is saying is that the software can produce more colors than the hardware can print. The artist has to keep that in mind when working otherwise he will come up with lots of really pretty art that can't be reproduced in production.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 09:35:52 AM »
a good printer can print 15 colors

i doubt many clients are willing to ab$orb that many plate changes on press
Wink

CMYK = a simulation of full color with 4 printing plates, cyan, magenta, yellow & black

Being a competent designer involves understanding the reproduction process
and knowing how to economically contract with 3rd party craftsman
to bring the clients job to completion

heres a great book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0883623382/002-2303086-9797653?v=glance&n=283155

This staple text has been valued by publishers, students, designers, print buyers, and many other graphic communications segments since its release in 1934. Comprehensive in scope, it offers a compact education on printing and the related processes. When the seventeenth edition was published in 1997, digital imaging and printing were still considered "parts" of printing. Now in the eighteenth edition, more than relaying its respected, valuable information on the history and conventional processes of the printing industry, this updated text recognizes the recent technological developments within the industry and describes and emphasizes the areas related to this transition: Typesetting and photography have been almost completely replaced by digital imaging; the use of films and their processing and image assembly are being replaced by computer-to-plate, computer-to-plate-on-press, and computer- to-press systems; new digital workflows are replacing conventional workflows; new processless plates and new UV and violet lasers that allow use of conventional plates; information on toners or digital inks for digital presses; and color management systems.

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 01:30:20 PM »
"Being a competent designer involves understanding the reproduction process
and knowing how to economically contract with 3rd party craftsman
to bring the clients job to completion"  There are so few competent graphic artists available.  I'm NOT dealing with one right now "I like RGB better than cmyk please print this job in RGB".  Yet in his mind he is an "expert" and MY lack of understanding is "trying his patience".  He is setting himself up for a major embarrassment in front of his superiors and co-workers.  He can't accept that 72 dpi looks fine on the monitor but a little grainy on paper.  Who said state government isn't fun?
Career Corrections

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 06:32:16 PM »
a good printer can print 15 colors

i doubt many clients are willing to ab$orb that many plate changes on press
That's kind of what I was getting at. It's not that you can't physically do it. It's that you can't possibly print volume and keep costs in a range that won't bankrupt the printer.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 07:14:29 PM »
He is in the art side of it not the printing side, so no he does not know how to do a four color sep.
I've declined to hire more than a few self-styled "graphic artists" who thought the "printing side" was for blue collar printing people to deal with. If you don't know RGB from CMYK from LAB, you're not a digital graphic artist, but a hack.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 03:25:49 AM »
So I should make sure he learns that he is not just an "artist" but that he must fit into the print industry so his product can be used easily.
Brian
<><

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 04:44:52 AM »
That's it exactly Brian.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 04:44:55 AM »
indeed, a summer internship at a printer,
in the digital house, accepting and processing the work of others would be quite beneficial.

Graphic "artists" are supposed to be craftsmen
If wasn't long ago that GAs had to be very neat and orderly with wax, pens and stats
they were akin to draftsmen

now they drink coffee and emote on a LCD

if he wants to be an "artist" he should study painting or sculpture

The Graphic arts basically sucks as a field
Low pay, long hours, poor instruction and demanding clients.

Web publishing is a field with potential
but everyone wants 1000 dollars of work for 100 bucks
and theres some kid willing to do it.

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 05:36:01 AM »
I don't know about this field being bad...I seem to do what I enjoy and call it work :-)

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 05:14:26 PM »
*wondering when Zundfolge will opine on this topic*
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 05:17:21 PM »
I just got home from an orientation with Peter at the school, what a good way to finishout high school for an artsy fartsy type.  He will have a good background and decent portfolio in commercial art.  the course starts with a good basis in art with a solid start in knowing the basic computer stuff.  The instructor has a good background in commercial art and advertizing.  They use some fairly new eMacs and will be using Adobe CS1.  It seem to be a good course and provide a mix or traditional art styles and digital imaging.  Now do I get him a Mac to go along with what he is using or upgrade his PC because that is what I have here.  Either way we will probably get CS1 for the house.  Now where to find a student edition of CS1
Brian
<><

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 05:46:53 PM »
many college campuses sell student copies of the adobe suite

CS2 is the current rev

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 07:23:09 PM »
cs2 is curent but the school is running cs1
Brian
<><

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 04:50:17 AM »