Author Topic: The Big O goes home to the sea...  (Read 1048 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The Big O goes home to the sea...
« on: May 18, 2006, 07:13:52 AM »
She was the last of the modified Essex-class carriers of WW II vintage still in the Navy's reserve fleet. All of the others are either museums in private hands or were scrapped...

IN THE GULF OF MEXICO -- As hundreds of veterans looked on solemnly, the Navy blew holes in a retired aircraft carrier and sent the 888-foot USS Oriskany to the bottom of the sea Wednesday, creating the world's largest man-made reef.

The rusted hulk took 37 minutes to slip beneath the waves, about 4 1/2 hours faster than predicted, after more than 500 pounds of plastic explosives went off with bright flashes of light and clouds of brown and gray smoke.

Korean and Vietnam War veterans aboard a flotilla of 300 charter boats watched from beyond a one-mile safety perimeter as the "Mighty O" went down in 212 feet of water, about 24 miles off Pensacola Beach.

Lloyd Quiter of North Collins, N.Y., who served four tours on the ship in Vietnam, played the attention-all-hands signal on his boatswain's pipe and wept.

"I'm a little stunned. It's a little hard to take," he said.

After the blasts, an acrid smell hung in the air near the ship. The carrier went down stern first, the bow lifting up into the air and creating a giant spray of water as it came down. The blue ocean churned a foamy white as the deck -- bright orange with rust -- slid under. Hundreds of surrounding boats blew their horns in tribute.

The Oriskany became the first vessel sunk under a Navy program to dispose of old warships by turning them into diving attractions teeming with fish and other marine life.

Over the years, other ships have been turned into reefs, including the warship USS Spiegel Grove, a cargo vessel that was scuttled in 2002 off Key Largo. But that was a civilian project, paid for with a combination of county and private money.

The Oriskany, commissioned in 1950 and named after an American Revolutionary War battle, saw duty during the Korean War and was home to John McCain when the Navy pilot and future senator served in Vietnam.

It was also among the ships used by President Kennedy in a show of force during the 1962 Cuban missile crisis. It was decommissioned in 1976.

McCain was shot down over Hanoi in 1967 after taking off from the Oriskany and was held as a prisoner of war for five years.

"It was a small, old carrier that fought very valiantly, and I'm very proud to have been a part of the air wing that served with great courage and distinction," McCain told CNN on Wednesday.

The Environmental Protection Agency in February approved the sinking of the ship, which had toxins in its electrical cables, insulation and paint. EPA officials said the toxins will slowly leach out over the estimated 100 years it will take the carrier to rust away and should pose no danger to marine life.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 07:55:47 AM »
Always makes me sad to see old warships scrapped or sunk.  I wish they could all be made into museums, but that isn't practical.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 08:20:23 AM »
Any how many tons of useful steel went to the bottom of the ocean? Seems a tragic waste to me...

Reef, schmeef!

jb

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 09:34:16 AM »
I spent last Friday night on board the U.S.S. Hornet, another Essex class carrier.  Those ships were amazing accomplishments in their day--15 months from laying the keel to entering service.

One thing that truly effected me was the low level of technology involved with those ships.  If you can turn iron ore into steel, copper ore into wire with a woven cotton jacket, and asbestos into pipe insulation, you're pretty much good to go.  Nothing's much more than a step or two away from the way nature provided it.

One bright guy with an half-dozen books could take a Stone Age society to building one of those things in maybe three to five years.

I compare that with the things sitting around the room I'm in right now.  The technology just to make the cordless phone sitting on my desk requires a huge infrastructure--Plastics, production of 99.9999999% pure silicon to make the semiconductors, computerized control systems to control the diffusion tubes to make the semiconductors, CAD systems to design the circuits, and on and on and on.  And that's just to make the ICs in the phone.  And then there's the design of the spread-specturm radio system that makes it cordless, the materials science that goes into the LCD display on the phone, the computer that handles all the Caller ID and number memory and so forth.

And then there's a digital camera sitting here, and my computer with hard drive and DVD burner, an ink jet printer, and I could keep going, but you get the idea.  (And that's just the stuff I can reach out and touch without leaving my chair.)

There's just something about seeing something the size of the U.S.S. Hornet, built just a little over sixty years ago, where one person could conceivably understand everything you need to know to build it starting from the ore in the ground.

Regarding the waste of sinking these things, I'm told that the cost of dealing with the asbestos makes it impractical to scrap them.  And I can't begin to tell you how much asbestos I saw all over the place on the Hornet--it's everywhere.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 09:37:35 AM »
The USS Midway gave me the same feeling.  Everything below the hangar deck is 40s tech.