Author Topic: Elijah Cummings dead at 68  (Read 1652 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Elijah Cummings dead at 68
« on: October 17, 2019, 07:41:19 AM »

https://apnews.com/472ab99bda374c3ba906366d2f0a6d00

How does Maryland fill midterm vacancies in House seats?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Elijah Cummings dead at 68
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 08:32:56 AM »

https://apnews.com/472ab99bda374c3ba906366d2f0a6d00

How does Maryland fill midterm vacancies in House seats?

I'm pretty sure all vacancies in the house can only be filled via special election.

Senators can be appointed by the state and the rules for filling a senate vacancy varies from state to state.

The Democrat party has been becoming more and more radicalized. Given that Cummings was entrenched for decades, he certainly kept his seat out of voter complacency.  I'm curious to see what kind of replacement rises up.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 09:07:49 AM »
It being Maryland, I wouldn't expect a replacement to be anything more than status quo, if not further left. I was somewhat shocked to learn that he was only 68 - I would have pegged him as at least ten years older.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 09:49:32 AM »
I was somewhat shocked to learn that he was only 68 - I would have pegged him as at least ten years older.

I thought the same thing.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 10:30:09 AM »
Wonder what he had on Hillary?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 10:33:12 AM »
A reminder to keep this one above boards.
Keep the snark to yourself.
And grave dancing will not be tolerated.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 10:41:28 AM »
If memory serves, he had some kind of cardiac issue and I'm sseing reports he had a "medical procedure" earlier this week.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 11:11:49 AM »
It is pretty much sad when anyone dies.  I have my issues with career Congressmen, but I can save it for another thread.  Honestly, I know little or nothing about Mr. Cummings. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 11:27:07 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 11:20:33 AM »

Sorry
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 11:27:32 AM »
It is pretty much sad when anyone dies.  I have my issues with career Congressmen, but I can save it for another thread.

Thank you. That's all we ask. I have lots of problems with lots of people who have died, and there's nothing wrong with talking about that stuff, but I think it's always best to wait an appropriate amount of time and to take it up in an appropriate thread.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 08:10:19 AM »
It is pretty much sad when anyone dies.  I have my issues with career Congressmen, but I can save it for another thread.  Honestly, I know little or nothing about Mr. Cummings. 

Someone's father, brother, uncle, husband after all.

What these deaths do bring up often is issues of succession (the OP's point right off the bat), etc that are very valid political discussions.
JD

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 10:41:26 AM »
https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-pol-congress-explainer-20191017-20191017-l6pb5fo3dnf3dnotckfv7qqqpm-story.html

The congressional seat held for more than two decades by U.S. Rep. Elijah Cummings could be filled as early as February ― or remain empty for more than a year ― depending on when Maryland’s governor decides to schedule a special election.

Republican Gov. Larry Hogan, who Thursday ordered Maryland flags lowered in honor of Cummings who died from complications of longstanding health problems, has wide latitude to decide how quickly to schedule an election for the public to elect a successor. The governor has yet to make a decision about how to proceed, his spokesman said.

As Cummings’ friends and family mourn, Hogan has 10 days to issue a proclamation stating the dates of special primary and general elections to fill the vacancy.

Under Maryland law, the special primary election shall be held on a Tuesday that is at least 65 days after the proclamation was issued and the special general election shall be held on a Tuesday that is at least 65 days after the primary.

That’s near the end of February at the earliest.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 10:55:36 AM »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 11:16:59 AM »
I guess it's me not paying attention, but I am surprised to learn that Maryland's governor is Republican.

You're not the only one.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 11:32:38 AM »
Someone's father, brother, uncle, husband after all.

What these deaths do bring up often is issues of succession (the OP's point right off the bat), etc that are very valid political discussions.
That last part might need another thread.  Are you trying to bait me?   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 11:57:02 AM »

Not me.  We all end there. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.