Author Topic: To anyone who was on THR: Goodbye (banned)  (Read 5481 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Re: To anyone who was on THR: Goodbye (banned)
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2007, 01:14:46 PM »
Sorry to hear of this, Manedwolf. You were among the handful of posters at THR to whom I always paid attention when they posted.

On another point...

I wonder if THR is undergoing a bit of an identity crisis right now. I have read THR for almost two years, and back in my early THR days I noticed many differences in political views, but fewer differences in regard to the RKBA. Things seem to be a little different now. Over the last several months there seemed to have been an influx of newbies (their participation can be a good thing for the firearm culture) seemingly willing to undergo or support "reasonable restrictions" to the RKBA, such as background checks or no RKBA for released felons. I wonder if that is creating a bit of tension between some of the more longtime posters to whom such ideas are repulsive and some of the newer members who believe such things are beneficial. And then the mods get caught right in the middle, especially if tempers occasionally flair because of such differences.

Just my (probably useless and off-base) thoughts.
Andy

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2007, 02:03:11 PM »
Not to be overly paranoid, but I'm guessing that more than a few of those "newbies" are folks who've come over from democratic underground, with the express purpose of destroying a 60,000 voter information source. Shooters are fragmented enough, what with the daffy hunters vs. the bambi blasters vs. paper punchers, and now we're getting constantly blasted with "Bush is bad!" and "Vote for anyone but a republican!" And people are listening. We can write off 2008, and I'm guessing that we're gonna be looking at another AWB, possibly of all semi-autos, since these folks can't write a definitions worth a damn, probably paired with confiscation of the suddenly illegal and evil boomsticks.

And we're letting them do it.

So, make it your hobby. You think someone's a troll, call 'em out.

Blog under construction

SomeKid

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2007, 04:55:41 PM »

And as for rape accusations...

Bogie (from Reply 27),

At my local Univ last year 6 guys were expelled (and later acquitted) for a rape charge. Girl gets drunk at a party (she was under 21 FWIW), goes out with these guys, and three days later makes the accusation.

Regarding the rape thread, I agreed 100% with Rifleman that women act like whores and whine when they don't get treated like ladies; sometimes going so far as to make false accusations and ruin good men's lives. I am sure that offends some woman out there, but it is true.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2007, 05:19:18 PM »
rape rape rape!
Thats how I became a conservative, I was left wing anarchist (I am a right wing one now)
drunk one night, I was getting hot and heavy but I passed out before the fun started (thank God)
The next day I find out she is going around saying I tried to rape her!
(she had stolen 100$ from someone and I was new in town and a convientSIC scapegoat)

Later when I became clean and sober an ex friend got into a fight with me because I wouldn't give him my old
pot connection, he lost the fight.

So he got his girlfriend to say "he tried to rape me" making it impossible to work where I was working...
I challenged them to call the cops but I guess reality is to trying for those losers.

Anyway, I wonder if I posted on that thread?...I remember looking at it but I do not remember if I posted on it or not.

So manedwolf, I can't remember if I ever disagreed with you, but I probably did as I am far smarter then most grin....hang out here!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2007, 05:51:52 PM »
The above having been said, Pax does have her share of problems as moderator. I have noticed that she is more lenient with people she agrees with, a good example being Jammer Six. That guy's whole point of cyberexistence was to defend illegal invasion, thumb his nose at our laws, and taunt people about how many illegals there are and how things would "change soon" under their combined weight. If that is not a provocative behavior, I don't know what is. But, it was fine with Pax, because her personal views are open-borders kill-nannystate anti-authority libertarianism. And so, she would come after me and Biker when we rip into J6 for being a criminal. Heh.
How do you know that a moderator is protecting a user because of a shared ideology rather than protecting a dissenting voice that's close to but not over the line of civility and rationality?

It's how you rip into someone else, rather than your ideology or the ideology of the moderator, that determines whether you get warned or banned.

Sometimes moderators go overboard in closing threads, but it's hard to get banned for no legitimate reason.  No matter how much you disagree with someone, calling them a troll or an idiot doesn't accomplish anything, and moderators have to respond to name-calling whether it's true or not.  You have to be really annoying to invite retribution from moderators who disagree with your ideology.  Being annoying and having a radical ideology is a good recipe for being excluded from any community, even when you communicate politely and rationally.

There are forums where the wrong ideology alone can get you banned.  THR is not one of them.  There is perhaps a correlation between ideology and presentation, causing people to confuse presentation-based bans for ideology-based bans.  That correlation is not required, however.  Anyone can say pretty much whatever they want as long as they're civil and don't continue to make unsupported statements after repeatedly being corrected by others.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Lee

• friend
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2007, 06:12:48 PM »
I'm just glad this thread is not locked LOL.  I don't usually notice the little padlock thingy at THR until I've read for 15 minutes and start to type a reply...arrrg. 
I try to keep in mind that THR is supposed to be gun related 100% of the time..even though that rule is not uniformly enforced.  As I found out there a couple years back - once a mod takes a disliking to you, and remembers you, he/she will lock anything you post that is not 100% gun related.  Oh well...people are people I reckon...some can be dinks.  Gunstuff there -other funstuff here.     

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2007, 07:24:08 PM »
Quote from: tyme
How do you know that a moderator is protecting a user because of a shared ideology rather than protecting a dissenting voice that's close to but not over the line of civility and rationality?

If Manedwolf gets banned for "baiting", then baiting is a bannable offense. Jammer Six's behavior was the epitome of baiting, yet he did not get banned, in fact Pax protected him and said his behavior was reasonable. What is the reason for the inconsistency?

Furious Styles

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2007, 04:15:55 AM »
Quote from: tyme

If Manedwolf gets banned for "baiting", then baiting is a bannable offense. Jammer Six's behavior was the epitome of baiting, yet he did not get banned, in fact Pax protected him and said his behavior was reasonable. What is the reason for the inconsistency?

One man's favoritism is another's freedom to operate a website in a cavalier and arbitrary manner. As has been said before, the 1st Amendment doesn't apply. Nonetheless, it isn't hard to see the frustrations of expecting some sort of slack or leniency with regard to opposing viewpoints, etc.

The reason is that there doesn't have to be a reason that can be effectively communicated.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2007, 04:23:12 AM »
A lot of the folks are very targeted, very focused, and very rigid. If it isn't something they really "get," then it doesn't belong.

Oleg, Oleg, Oleg... There's this thing called The Gun Culture... It's out there, and it isn't JUST about soldiers, police officers, self defense, or even people actually yanking on triggers. There's so much more out there.

Bogie, thank you.  That's about the finest thing I've read this week, and ought to be a sticky at THR, truthfully.

I'd post it or request it as a sticky, but I walked away from THR a while back after somebody went totally frothing-at-the-mouth wacko over the whole global warming (globular worming) thing, trying to ram it down everybody else's throats that a catastrophic change was going to happen very soon, and would cause mankind to revert to Amish lifestyles if chaos did not ensue.  I let him have it with both barrels, but at that point, I realized I was adding more noise and less signal myself.  So I edited my posting and walked away. There's more to life than typing away at a computer making one feel self-important, so I started taking the dogs on longer walks, volunteering more time at the railroad museum, etc.  It feels good.  grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

LAK

• friend
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2007, 06:10:23 AM »
Two points; I do not agree with the idea that immodest dress is the actual cause of rapes, any more than waving a brick size wad of one-hundred dollar bills on one's daily travels causes one to be robbed.

THR, like a few other online "conservative" gun forums, is neither consistantly moderated, nor is the moderation often realistic concerning the full scope of any one given political topic. There also seems to be some degree of irrational fear over the generation of a little friction now and then - which is inevitable and to be expected when political issues are rooted in conflicting political and moral ideologies. THR suffers less from this than some other forums, but suffers from it all the same.

----------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2007, 06:53:15 AM »
As I browse threads as a moderator, I mostly look at courtesy and politeness and an absence of immature cusswords.  One's political viewpoint is a matter of indifference to me, so long as it's presented halfway intelligently.

A problem common across the Internet is that there are only the typed words for people to read and try to understand.  The responsibility for comprehension lies ONLY with the writer.  While it is courteous of a reader to make some effort, he has no duty to understand.

The purpose of the entire THR website is to promote our RKBA cause.  We cannot do this if our membership gives the appearance of a bunch of unwashed knuckle-dragging Neanderthals.  Bashing of any person or group does not enhance our reputation for common sense.

"Some cops are corrupt." does not bother me at all.  "Cops will search you for not reason." is BS, given that it appears the writer is talking about ALL cops.

"Bush is an idiot!" is an idiotic statement.  "Some of Bush's decisions appear foolish." is a reasonable statement of opinion.

Some thread drift is fine; no problem.  But when pages 4, 5 and 6 of a thread have gone into a completely different subject, guess what?  Lock time is what.

Whimsy?  Fine.  But it helps to have a bit of a knack in epressing whimsy; hark back to my comment, above, about the reader's understanding...

And even moderators have a life beyond the Internet. Smiley

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Furious Styles

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2007, 07:18:33 AM »

And even moderators have a life beyond the Internet. Smiley

Buzzzzzz ...

Generalization?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2007, 07:23:27 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2007, 09:47:41 PM »
Pax and Jammer Six are both members on another small gun forum together. I forget its name something like family and firearms or some such. I am too lazy to search.

I too could not believe how long Jammer made it, given the large number of times he insulted other members of the board. I guess his comment about us "yipping" finally did him in.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2007, 02:59:35 AM »
There are some fora I am happy to have been banned from.  THR is one.  I got banned for calling an anti-semite an anti-semite.  I dont use the term lightly, but when the discussion is about caliber choice and suddenly Jews crop up, it seems like anti semitism to me.
Hearing about the general state of THR makes me glad I'm not there anymore.  This is a much kinder, friendlier, and more intelligent board.  We have had some heated discussions but I dont think anything has gotten out of hand, and I have even come to like some of the members.  You hear me, Fistful?
btw, anyone heard from Preacherman recently?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

The Viking

« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2007, 03:08:42 AM »
He posted on THR a few days ago.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2007, 03:26:50 AM »
He posted on THR a few days ago.
I just PM'd him asking him to stop by since folks have been asking about him. I hope he does.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2007, 03:37:30 AM »
I don't see any particular reason for this thread to be alive again.

There's a Preacherman thread already open that doesn't have a lot of baggage associated with it

Please post to that thread.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2007, 06:29:56 AM »
I don't see any particular reason for this thread to be alive again.
Especially since I didn't look at the post dates till page 3.  laugh
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2007, 06:31:29 AM »
Good point. I think we'll just make this one part of the historic legacy of the APS.