Author Topic: jeeps  (Read 2058 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
jeeps
« on: July 29, 2007, 03:58:44 AM »
My dad just got a fantastic deal on an 07 Jeep Wrangler Sahara.  I burn with jealousy Smiley

Stickjockey

• friend
Re: jeeps
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 05:46:42 AM »
Feh. Tell him he needs a real jeep:

Wink
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 06:50:42 AM »
+1 Stickjockey Wink

Spent many hours riding around in the CO mountains in one of those old "flat-fenders."

Often there were 8 or 10 or us hanging on any which way we could.

It wasn't considered a good outing unless we broke down at least once, and/or got mired in the mud and had to use the Handyman jack to get it out.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 06:50:45 AM »
Really... Chrysler realizes the 95% of the folks who buy the new "jeeps" will never drive them off pavement (that includes "on gravel").

I'd rather have a top speed of 60 mph, and enough torque to pull a half-ton trailer out of a ditch, any day...

Blog under construction

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 07:54:42 AM »
Dad's is going into the dirt on a regular basis, starting today. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 10:10:33 AM »
Dad's is going into the dirt on a regular basis, starting today. 

What!   shocked

And get the whitewalls dirty Huh?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 10:39:28 AM »
My dad just got a fantastic deal on an 07 Jeep Wrangler Sahara.  I burn with jealousy Smiley

I hope he has a good time with his new Jeep.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 02:44:37 PM »
I am jealous!  I've wanted a Jeep for many years, but it's never been practical for me, up until now.  Of course now, I can't afford another car.  I did spend some time looking for a "cheap" used one about a year ago, but quickly found out that if the body is rust-free and it runs and drives well, they start at $5000.

I first got to sit in an all-new one at this year's NAIAS in Detroit and instantly fell in love.  Last month, I test drove one.  It is vastly superior to the old one, from a practical, daily-driver standpoint, and a bit bigger too.  Now I'm glad I didn't buy an older one.  In two years, when the '07s are coming off-lease, I should be in position to have my beloved Jeep, and let someone else take the big depreciation hit.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 04:01:15 PM »
I realize many people think the new jeep is a pussy jeep, however, we just got back, and it's just bloody awesome. 
Dana 35 up front, open
Dana 44 in back, limited slip
4.10 drive ratio, six speed manual trans.  It feels unstoppable off road.  And it flexes like nobody's business, even with the sway bar connected.  Yes, it does have power windows, and yes, it has air conditioning.  Still a jeep though.
Oh, and it doesn't have whitewalls Smiley

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 04:14:52 PM »
I realize many people think the new jeep is a pussy jeep, however, we just got back, and it's just bloody awesome. 
Dana 35 up front, open
Dana 44 in back, limited slip
4.10 drive ratio, six speed manual trans.  It feels unstoppable off road.  And it flexes like nobody's business, even with the sway bar connected.  Yes, it does have power windows, and yes, it has air conditioning.  Still a jeep though.
Oh, and it doesn't have whitewalls Smiley

Agreed.  while not nearly as utilitarian as they used to be, Chrysler realized that a fair number of Wrangler owners actually do take them off road, and has done a great job sticking to the roots while keeping the Jeep current. 
My buddy has a Rubicon and it is a beast.  I'd buy one too if I had room for another vehicle in my life.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 04:19:56 PM »
Yes, it does have power windows, and yes, it has air conditioning.  Still a jeep though.

I don't want power anything in my future Jeep, but air conditioning?  I don't understand why anyone would buy a vehicle without it.  Even if you don't use it to cool off the cabin, when you turn on your defrost the air condition kicks on and dries the condensation inside your windows much faster / better than if you don't have A/C.  It is also more difficult to sell a vehicle without air condition, as most people want it.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 05:30:53 PM »
A/C and power windows in a jeep...?

Well, first it would have to have a top and doors Wink

I suppose the new ones are okay under all the glitter.

It's just the folks that would never go off-road because they might scratch their roll bar that make me  rolleyes

A lot of the places we used to go are now closed to vehicles as "wilderness areas", even though I still don't know how they got away with classifying an area as "roadless" when you could see some of the dang roads up the mountain from ten miles away.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 05:32:52 PM »
It had a top and doors, but they come off.  The windshield even folds down still.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 06:14:19 AM »
I bet your dad's new jeep even has brakes, too  - on the first pump, even  grin

Seriously, get yourself (or your dad) a "Handyman" jack if you're really going to go "four-wheeling."   

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 06:18:08 AM »
I have a jeep in my future also, I really want a CJ-8 but it hard to find one that isn't rotted off the frame for under $6k.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 06:37:22 AM »
I like jeeps, particulary CJ7s.  But, as with all jeeps, the new D44 equipped ones included, you still need several thousand dollars to make them seriously worthy offroad.  A lot of this is body armor and underplating to be able to subject it to serious abuse.  The new ones are the best 4 wheeling package offered to date IMO, but I think I'd skip em all except for the Unlimited version prior to the most recent body change.

I've always had long term plans to buy a CJ8 Scrambler and move all my parts over combined with bobbing the back end to match the reveal of the typical jeep like a wrangler or cj.  This is the concept and spec of the unlimited models.  10" longer in the middle w/o the truck like tail drag that causes issues.

I'll face my jeep against a truck on PNW trails any day, everyday.  Sometimes wheelbase is great, like climbing steep hills.  Solid axle equipped Toyotas kick butt in this regard.   However, most the time, that short wheelbase and superior approach and departure angles are key to superior handling of the narrow twisty trails.  And the flex offered with a solid axle setup is always superior to IFS systems on those trails.  Out in the desert going fast, IFS is the ticket.

Remember two things

"real jeeps have round headlights"

"real jeeps are built, not bought."

Here's mine the first time I used my winch.  U-joint caps in the mud, both drivelines out.   What a day.  I don't want to repeat, I've had two worse, but no pics to share.  If you're serious about getting a jeep, any jeep.  Go ask some questions on jeepforum.com for advice, any advice.  Good helpful folks on that forum.  I'm pretty much only in the CJ forum. 
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 07:16:35 AM »
I used to have a cherokee.  I miss it, but these days I probably wouldn't get to 'wheel much.

Some of my old jeepin days pictures

Stuck

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 07:26:37 AM »
Lions back, nice.  Looks like a white knuckler the first time no matter who you are.

Why don't you jeep anymore?  One thing that has been constant in my life is my jeep, and my wife.  My wife insists I keep the jeep.   grin  I guess I'm gonna have to keep her.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 07:46:48 AM »
Lions back, nice.  Looks like a white knuckler the first time no matter who you are.

Why don't you jeep anymore?  One thing that has been constant in my life is my jeep, and my wife.  My wife insists I keep the jeep.   grin  I guess I'm gonna have to keep her.

It's a long convoluted story.  My cherokee stopped being reliable and was my daily driver.  Wife said get rid of it, but I could build a Cherokee Chief.  had a falling out with my sugar daddy (www.dirtroad.com, where I used to write) because they suck.  On top of that, I was going through alot of stress at work.  On top of that, I worked shiftwork and weekends.  This meant I had alot of trouble finding jeepin' partners.  Nothing quite as scary as being stuck on a rock all by yerself.....
Also, at the same time, I'd taken up cycling for fitness. 
So I gave it up.  Stopped jeepin, started just fishing, cycling and shooting only. 
I'd consider getting another one, but my wife and I have entered into an unholy arrangement: 
She gets a McMansion.
I get a boat.
May (insert chosen diety here) save my soul.....
JD

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 10:57:52 AM »
Some pictures from a trip to Proctor Valley last night.  Pretty mild, still lots of fun.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 02:56:02 PM »
My cherokee stopped being reliable

I can see why, from those pictures ... Wink