Author Topic: Does anyone do good sculpture today?  (Read 1821 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Does anyone do good sculpture today?
« on: July 31, 2007, 03:52:04 PM »
So I got to thinking about some of the amazing sculpture one finds from Classical Greece on, and I can't help but wonder if it's a dead art form? Is anyone out there still turning huge chunks of marble into beauty?

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Does anyone do good sculpture today?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 05:32:30 PM »
Winged Victory?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 08:40:23 PM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 09:16:34 PM »
Wow, that's beautiful. Muriel Castanis, eh? Must use my google-foo....

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 09:39:53 PM »
Crap. Well, she's not doing anything these days.

Just found out she died last year.

I went to college with her youngest daughter. Interesting girl, very talented, and had an eyebrow (singular) that had to be continued on the next three women.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 04:12:58 AM »
In today's commercial environment, some of the best sculptors are probably doing faces of the famous in wax museums. (And considering how some of those likenesses aren't exactly accurate . . . )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 05:16:08 AM »
IMHO, the realism of post Segal figurative sculpture has gotten a tad spooky.

Piccinnini is a good case in point:
http://beinart.org/modules/Word-Press/2007/05/06/patricia-piccininis-anthropomorphic-sculpture/

the execution of the piece is by :
Sam Jinks
http://www.theage.com.au/news/reviews/sam-jinks-distortions/2005/08/30/1125302559926.html

Traditionally sculptors hire a firm to carve or cast the full scale, final art work.
These days, the chinese are good knock off artists:
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/marblephenix/product-detailEGJQAynuzpgW/China-White-Marble-Sculpture-Stone-Statue-Antique.html
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"