Author Topic: Help me find a cheap, good car!  (Read 2696 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Help me find a cheap, good car!
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 06:53:06 AM »
An older Saab 900.  4 Cylinder engine gets around 25-30 MPG (Even better if you can drive a stick).  Lots of space to haul crap.  Solid, won't kill you on insurance (get Min. Liability coverage).  And if you get into an accident, fairly decent chance of walking away alive. 

I know someone who has one. Good in snow, but their mechanics are like a secretive cult, and they charge an arm and a leg!

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2007, 09:08:39 AM »
Get an older Volvo,  I have a manual 1987 740 wagon with over 230,000 miles on it and still going strong.  Gets about 21 MPG or so.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 09:52:44 AM »
I'm going to second the late 80's early 90's 3 series BMWs   known as the E30

I have $1800 invested in my 90 4 door.. the 6cylinder of the E30s is like the 22R Toyota truck engines.
They consistently drive 200K+ miles.
And I get great gas mileage.   

I can find you early 90's E30s in the 2-3K range all day long.  As a matter of fact a friend has an 89 convertible
for sale for $2500  and it's just had all the regular maintenance.

What part of the country are you located in?

The problem most people have when looking at used cars is they know nothing about working on them and just look at the exterior.
i.e. if it's pretty it must be good.   
Whenever shopping used cars the mechanics are the only thing that's important. 
I'd take a crappy looking car that runs great and I know has a history of longevity over a nice looking exterior anyday.

First thing you need is a mechanic that you know and trust.. then take ANY used car you are considering to them to look over.

As far as trucks... I wouldn't put a late 80's early 90's Toyota 4cyl 22r out of my mind.
You can get great gas mileage and they are tanks.

Hondas while there are plenty of them in the 1-2K range I'd consider a throw away car.

A good BMW or Toyota are the kind of cars and trucks that you keep forever.

*edited to add*..
Hey Nick,

You still in KC?  If so look on the Kansas side towards KCK and stay away from Johnson County and the Missouri side.  Cars were a little more expensive on the Missouri side when I lived there anyway for some reason.

Well if you are the afore mentioned friend lives in Wichita.  The car is available now.. though won't last.
If not PM me.. I can help you find a solid 3series.. and would be happy to give you a hand if it needed a little maintenance.
BMWs have a reputation for a reason.  For every "I've been told" story I could send you to a forum of thousands that swear by them.
E30's that is.. after 1992 it's a different animal
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2007, 10:09:32 AM »
Heck I'd consider this.. http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/362495799.html

I had an '82 320i that last me a solid 10 years and I still regret letting it go.

That one says it needs brake work. You can complete replace all discs pads and rebuild the calipers for under $200
And brakes are easier to work on than making an egg salad.

A nice 5 series for 3K http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/367103195.html
another http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/385101312.html

This would be my top choice.. http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/382093784.html
The claim of 35-40MPG is not far fetched.. I often get 30-35MPG on the highway with my 6cyl.

As stated above with any of them just spend $30-50 on a trusted mechanic to look it over and give an honest opinion of mechanical wear.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”