Author Topic: Hypocrisy at it's Finest!  (Read 10536 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Hypocrisy at it's Finest!
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 12:59:32 PM »
Deen presents indulgent recipes to an audience with (presumed) free will. I've never once heard her advocating gorging on the stuff every day as a lifestyle.

We respect individual choice in everything but one's taste in celebrity cooking shows now? Let's all boycott or regulate fast food chains because they force us to eat crap. Oh, wait... ;/
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »
Let's all boycott or regulate fast food chains because they force us to eat crap. Oh, wait... ;/

Who in this thread is advocating this? 

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 01:32:15 PM »
No one. But you know full well the idea is out there, including lawsuits on behalf of individuals whose health was supposedly damaged by consumption of excessive fast food, claims challenged here as frivolous because the individuals chose to eat at the restaurants. People can choose to eat Deen's recipes just as they can choose to eat McDonalds.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 03:56:04 PM »
Cooking and eating like a pig has cost her her health.  Sure, she's making a metric ass ton of money.
Its obvious she intentionally hid being diabetic from her audience.  "Oh, look at this deep fried *expletive deleted*it sammich.  Sure, it'll give you diabetus like I have, but hey, it's yummy."
She is a grade a class I *expletive deleted*ing hypocrite.   

Let's all boycott or regulate fast food chains because they force us to eat crap. Oh, wait...

Boycotting products is capitalisim and the free market at work. That is an act of free will, just so much as being a fat ass who pigs out on her cooking and gets diabetes.  Regulating it, not so much.

I, for one, will not induldge in her products because of her hyporcrisy. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 04:02:14 PM »
Cooking and eating like a pig has cost her her health.  Sure, she's making a metric ass ton of money.
Its obvious she intentionally hid being diabetic from her audience.  "Oh, look at this deep fried *expletive deleted* sammich.  Sure, it'll give you diabetus like I have, but hey, it's yummy."

Boycotting products is capitalisim and the free market at work. That is an act of free will, just so much as being a fat ass who pigs out on her cooking and gets diabetes.  Regulating it, not so much.

http://www.bing.com/health/article/mayo-MADS00585/Type-2-diabetes?q=type+ii+diabetes+causes&qpvt=cause+of+diabetes+type+2#causes

Type 2 diabetes develops when the body becomes resistant to insulin or when the pancreas stops producing enough insulin. Exactly why this happens is unknown, although excess weight and inactivity seem to be contributing factors.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 04:20:30 PM »
No one. But you know full well the idea is out there, including lawsuits on behalf of individuals whose health was supposedly damaged by consumption of excessive fast food, claims challenged here as frivolous because the individuals chose to eat at the restaurants. People can choose to eat Deen's recipes just as they can choose to eat McDonalds.

I agree going nuts with heavy handed legislation and lawsuits is inappropriate and inconsistent with a liberty-loving society.

However calling her out on her products and lifestyle choices is completely appropriate

Though Bourdain has some hypocrisy too, I agreed with him when he said:

"When your signature dish is hamburger in between a doughnut, and you've been cheerfully selling this stuff knowing all along that you've got Type 2 Diabetes... It's in bad taste if nothing else,"

In the timeframe of her admitted diagnosis she was hawking a cookbook of her crappy recipes for children and launched a line of Desserts for Wal-Mart.  She only now mentions her diagnosis in the context of being a spokesperson for diabetes drugs.  I personally find this morally suspect and would tell her so.  IMO, this behavior furthers screwed up ideas we have in our society about health and medicine.   

Of course, people should have the free will to choose what they want to put in their body, just as I have the free will to say "this is why I think maybe you shouldn't." 

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 04:33:46 PM »
Its obvious she intentionally hid being diabetic from her audience.  "Oh, look at this deep fried *expletive deleted* sammich.  Sure, it'll give you diabetus like I have, but hey, it's yummy."

Your right and decision, absolutely. And I didn't mean to imply a direct association between boycott and regulation, so that's fair. But your certitude and rectitude concerning the facts and her motivations is a hair judgmental, don't you think? Is it plausible her silence was driven by a commercial motivation? Sure. Proven? not so much. Not everyone diagnosed with diabetes is categorically a "fat ass who pigs out", as mak observed. It's also a remote possibility that, despite her status as a celebrity cook, her initial thought was that her personal health information was, well, personal. Food for thought.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 04:36:41 PM »
http://www.bing.com/health/article/mayo-MADS00585/Type-2-diabetes?q=type+ii+diabetes+causes&qpvt=cause+of+diabetes+type+2#causes

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001356/.  Uncle Sam says eating crap and having extra body fat increases ones risk.  
So does web md.
http://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/type-2-diabetes
 Is it the only cause? It appears not.  But comeon, have you seen Paula dean? Have you seen the "food" she hawks?  You can only eat so much of that stuff before your body rebels.

Your right and decision, absolutely. And I didn't mean to imply a direct association between boycott and regulation, so that's fair. But your certitude and rectitude concerning the facts and her motivations is a hair judgmental, don't you think? Is it plausible her silence was driven by a commercial motivation? Sure. Proven? not so much. Not everyone diagnosed with diabetes is categorically a "fat ass who pigs out", as mak observed. It's also a remote possibility that, despite her status as a celebrity cook, her initial thought was that her personal health information was, well, personal. Food for thought.

It certainly makes her motivations suspect.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »
Sure. After reading the link in full, I've got more questions, I'll concur with suspect motives. I just think there's some walking room between that and "She is a grade a class I *expletive deleted*ing hypocrite."

We'll have to agree to disagree.

edit for t;po.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:50:48 PM by SADShooter »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 04:49:03 PM »
Uncle Sam says eating crap and having extra body fat increases ones risk.

Uncle Sam tells us lots of things.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 05:11:55 PM »
this is being touted as "hypocrisy at its finest?  really?  some of you guys need to get out more or ease up n the hyperbole tea
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 05:21:17 PM »
this is being touted as "hypocrisy at its finest?  really?  some of you guys need to get out more or ease up n the hyperbole tea
I fall on that side as well.  There is a LOT of hypocrisy in the world today.  This stuff falls short of that IMO.  The reason it falls short is that most of you are guessing at her motivations and the causes of her condition.  You don't know.  You are just assuming that which is convenient to fit to your argument against her.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2012, 05:31:57 PM »
and hes not that great a chef  typical cia grad

Interesting that you should mention the "other" CIA (Culinary Institute of America).

A number of years ago I read an article about how some of their students had just won some prestigious international chefs' competition. There was a lot of discussion about food preparation and , especially, presentation (how it looks on the plate), along with a number of photos of the winning entries on their plates.

What struck me as interesting (being a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy) was that there was NO mention of anyone actually tasting the dishes, nor any mention of how it tasted. In fact, there wasn't even anything to suggest that these food dishes were even intended to be eaten.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

• friends
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2012, 05:42:17 PM »
often aren't intended to be eaten.

my experience makes me prefer johnson and wales grads.  more rounded  and less ego

you know the difference between a chef and a cook?  arrogance and about 50 k a year
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2012, 05:54:17 PM »
often aren't intended to be eaten.

I know ... but it IS purportedly "food," so IMHO preparing food that isn't intended to be eaten pretty much misses the point.

my experience makes me prefer johnson and wales grads.  more rounded  and less ego

10-4
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

• friends
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 06:15:04 PM »
i won a special class in a new york food show. it was sponsored by a manufacturer that marketed a prepared egg product.  it was aplastic tuba couple foot long with eggs in in  cooked with the yolk as a long thin cylinder surrounded by the white. great for garde manger. when i won they asked me "how would you use this product at your hotel?
i said "i'd never buy that *expletive deleted*it and if i used it my boss would fire me then kick my butt." i had a couple hours before my boss the exec chef's part of the show and figured 500 bucks was easy money so i entered

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 07:54:06 PM »
Sure. After reading the link in full, I've got more questions, I'll concur with suspect motives. I just think there's some walking room between that and "She is a grade a class I *expletive deleted*ing hypocrite."

We'll have to agree to disagree.

edit for t;po.

Fair point.
JD

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 08:27:15 PM »
Bourdain doesn't push cigs and booze on folks personally, nor does he advertise for either product, nor do his books or show market them.  There's no hypocrisy in simply publically living an admittedly unhealthy lifestyle as opposed to marketing it, particularly if you make no positive claims about it.

Further, he has never claimed to be a particularly "great" chef.  He is a competent cook who knows how to run a kitchen and knows good food by the eating.  That's all the qualifications he's ever claimed.  In that self-awareness he's much like Alton Brown.

You don't have to be a great chef to understand and judge cooking competence and quality, any more than a pro judge or referee need to have played at that level.

Paula Dean the public persona is her unhealthy menu.  I don't watch her but I'd be surprised if her show contained any admonishments about portion control, or "only make this once a month" or "couple this food with a sound exercise program" or "this food is tasty but inherently bad for you" or anything to offset her marketing of it.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

• friends
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2012, 08:06:52 AM »
I don't watch her

says it all  but it does allow "artistic license" with your comments/judgements huh

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2012, 09:53:34 AM »
it does allow "artistic license" with your comments/judgements huh

The irony is strong in this one.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2012, 10:37:44 AM »
I'm sorry, but I fail to have a problem with this. Even diabetics could eat the food she makes safely, if done in moderation. Also, while sugar is a problem for diabetics, fat is not. I have also never heard her claim that the food she makes is healthy and doesn't pose any health risks.
I also find the outrage of certain people to be rather distasteful. Last time I checked, this is a free country. People should be able to eat what they want, even at the expense of their own health. Further, eating such food is, again, fine in moderation, and is generally mighty tasty. The people who are outraged are generally a bunch of pompous busybodies who believe that other people's choices are the own business. Frankly, I think they should all FOAD.Edit: And if you want to find a Grade A hypocrite, look no further than Anthony Bourdain, who is a heavy smoker and drinker.
This post gets all of my "What?  =|"
I guess all of the diabetics who have glucose readings of 300 after a giant, carb and fat filled breakfast at Denny's have faulty glucometers.

Public health is important, and public figures have always been held to different standards.

Dean/Brimley 2012
DIABEETUS

I LOL'd!!

Also:   http://youtu.be/Xr4Yn1QbJc0
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:52:43 AM by Pharmacology »

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2012, 11:51:05 AM »
I don't watch her

says it all  but it does allow "artistic license" with your comments/judgements huh

Nope. I don't watch her show. I am familiar with her persona from other food network programs, her recipes on the food network website, reviews of her recipes and show, and, most on point, her advertisements.

Your "Gotcha" missed the mark.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

• friends
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2012, 12:06:37 PM »
Nope. I don't watch her show. I am familiar with her persona from other food network programs, her recipes on the food network website, reviews of her recipes and show, and, most on point, her advertisements.

Your "Gotcha" missed the mark.

you'd have to watch it to make that statement have any real meaning.
i've watched her twice less than a whole show each time
and that short exposure made me chortle at this "
"I'd be surprised if her show contained any admonishments about portion control, or "only make this once a month" or "couple this food with a sound exercise program" or "this food is tasty but inherently bad for you" or anything to offset her marketing of it."

particularly the part i bolded.  but then again my opinion is colored by actually watching the show so its inhibited by fact

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »
I don't get it.

Is it your argument that it's immoral to promote unhealthy things, period?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner