Author Topic: South Carolina Snow  (Read 10448 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: South Carolina Snow
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2014, 07:17:07 AM »
So today's the first day since this started that the kiddies go back to school.  All the talk about having to make up snowice days was replaced last night with the "news" of a bill that would allow year-round school.  This morning the kiddies are trying to get on AM talk radio to say how awful the idea is.  From what I listened to it seems the notion should have been mandatory - slang, jargon, and argot are all fine amongst your peers but Standard American English probably would have had a better chance of swaying the grnups.

Back in the '70s of the last century year-round school was tried by a couple of Va systems - teachers taught 12 months (no summer vacation) and kids went to school in blocks of 45 days with a 15-day break between sessions.  It squeezed an additional 25% more kids through a building without violating the fire code's occupancy rate.  But best of all it showed a fairly consistent 10% rise in standard achievement scores.  The best guess was there was less brain leakage due to the shorter breaks.  Also, the parents liked it because 1) the shorter breaks reduced day care costs, and 2) vacation scheduling was easier when not everybody with a kid was trying to go to the same place at the same time.  (And yes, the lines for the rollercoaster were shorter in the winter months. =D )

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »
So today's the first day since this started that the kiddies go back to school.  All the talk about having to make up snowice days was replaced last night with the "news" of a bill that would allow year-round school.  This morning the kiddies are trying to get on AM talk radio to say how awful the idea is.  From what I listened to it seems the notion should have been mandatory - slang, jargon, and argot are all fine amongst your peers but Standard American English probably would have had a better chance of swaying the grnups.

Back in the '70s of the last century year-round school was tried by a couple of Va systems - teachers taught 12 months (no summer vacation) and kids went to school in blocks of 45 days with a 15-day break between sessions.  It squeezed an additional 25% more kids through a building without violating the fire code's occupancy rate.  But best of all it showed a fairly consistent 10% rise in standard achievement scores.  The best guess was there was less brain leakage due to the shorter breaks.  Also, the parents liked it because 1) the shorter breaks reduced day care costs, and 2) vacation scheduling was easier when not everybody with a kid was trying to go to the same place at the same time.  (And yes, the lines for the rollercoaster were shorter in the winter months. =D )

stay safe.

Not entirely. Louisa was still an hour late start. ;/

VA has gotten real stupid. Albermarle sceduled two snowdays. Two. And they used both of them back in december for rainy days.
Back when I was in HS was when they really started screwing up snow days and such. However, I remember that without snow on the ground, school started. Even if snow/ice was expected, they didn't call the day. They made us come to school and then sent us home early when things started getting dicey. There were almost never enough days sceduled and we used more and more "make up days" each year. It never made sense. Why not scedule more snow days and shut down early if they're not used rather then make up and shut down late?
Which made for a couple rather harrowing bus rides, but I still think it makes more sense then this "OMG! Weatherman said snow! Shut it all down!" mentality they've adopted.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2014, 06:50:30 AM »
Come on, BSL!  We have to drag this out for at least two more pages before we start debating Va's "Kings Dominion Law" - the one that says school cannot start until after Labor Day.  (For the uninitiated, Kings Dominion is the smaller but older of the two theme parks in the state and just over 5 hours north of South of the Border on I-95.)

And yes, most of the schools around here were also on either 2 or 1 hour delay.  It's them pesky side roads that people keep parking on so the plows can't get through [without risk of dinging up somebody's car].

Too dangerous to drive the folks' spawn to school, but those same folks seem to have managed at least one trip to restock groceries - or else everyone turned into a prepper while we were not watching.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Re: South Carolina Snow
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2014, 08:45:41 AM »
Its starting again. An inch at home, no accumulation downtown yet.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2014, 09:59:38 AM »
I just saw that the North Carolina coast has snow right now. You're sending it all our way.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2014, 10:00:18 AM »
Oh, I forgot to freak out: IT'S ANOTHER SNOWPOCALYPSE!

There. I guess I have to go buy milk, bread and toilet paper now.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: South Carolina Snow
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2014, 10:47:26 AM »
Oh, I forgot to freak out: IT'S ANOTHER SNOWPOCALYPSE!

There. I guess I have to go buy milk, bread and toilet paper now.
Forget the TP and just wipe your ass with snow. Get eggs instead. You can't make the official snowday French toast with tp.
Well, I suppose you could but I'm guessing it wouldn't taste very good.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2014, 10:51:16 AM »
What about likker  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2014, 11:07:47 AM »

I have everything I could need, except for a generator. Uhm. Need to do laundry, just in case, I suppose.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2014, 12:07:09 PM »
Shucks.  Monarch only has 99.9 inches of snowpack.  But, good news!  Sixteen inches more are predicted!

http://www.coloradoski.com/snow-report

Ski Monarch.com   
Annual Snowfall 350.0 inches/889 cm
Area 800 acres
Base Elevation 10790 feet/3281 meters
Summit Elevation 11952 feet/3634 meters
Hours of Operation 9am-4pm
Season Dates November 2013—April 2014

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 12:14:41 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2014, 03:59:46 PM »
For the first time this winter the 10 day forecast here in WI doesn't have any negative temps.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2014, 05:40:34 PM »
Shucks.  Monarch only has 99.9 inches of snowpack.  But, good news!  Sixteen inches more are predicted!

http://www.coloradoski.com/snow-report

I used to live not far from Crested Butte, but I didn't go up there much - too uppity for me.

A terrible grade getting up there from Almont with my old truck (especially to Mount Crested Butte) and the only place where a residential customer ever stiffed me on paying for firewood logs.  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2014, 06:03:30 PM »
For the first time this winter the 10 day forecast here in WI doesn't have any negative temps.

We've "Chance of Snow" for everyday of our 10 day forecast here in the western 'burbs of Chicago. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2014, 06:36:10 PM »
Only a couple inches overall today, and only outside the city. It was just too warm to stick well but it was REALLY coming down. They're forecasting up to ten inches for tomorrow. I hope you all understand how insane that is for south carolina.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2014, 06:54:51 PM »

The forecast for western MI on Thursday is to hit 30.  It hasn't been that warm in at least a month.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2014, 07:28:44 PM »

Where do I mash the "like" button on that post?   =D

I am so garblewarfing ready for the spring thaw!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2014, 09:39:11 PM »
No snow here. I refuse to allow it. End of discussion.

But it can't make up it's mind if it's winter or spring and that's annoying. Went to lunch with a friend yesterday, sat on the patio in a lightweight shirt and jeans and was perfectly comfortable. Sunny. Warm. Heaven.
Today? Overcast, windy, and the temp has dropped steadily all day long. No idea what the temp is, don't care, I know enough to know it's COLD. So sick of this.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2014, 08:59:37 PM »
Is snowing here.

I had a thought today, though...

Virginia is not actually home of the inexperianced winter drivers. Atlanta makes us look like pro's.

:rofl:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2014, 07:17:31 AM »
I WUZ CHEETED!!

The power went out for a few hours in the wee hours of the morning.  Nobody woke me up to tell me it was time to panic.

But now that I know the power went out, what am I supposed to do?  I mean running around in the dark is no longer possible (not only is the sun up, but the popwer's been back on since before the sun got here).

On the other hand, te,ps just above freezing have allowed the drizzle to put a nice ice cap on things.  The thaw expected between 10 AM and 4 PM ought to set everything up perfectly for the sudden drop into the twenties just around time for the afternoon commute - except last night just about everybody cancelled today's activities.  Even the jails & prisons are encouraging staff to stay over and work double shifts rather than drive home.

stay safe.

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2014, 08:32:26 AM »
We've got maybe 5 inches here in spots. Not as much as advertised, but still very unusual for this area for amount and duration(this is our third day of snow).

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2014, 08:42:18 AM »
Snow?  I know nothing of this snow.  We had about an inch of sleet, followed by 1/2" of snow, more sleet, honest to goodness wet rain followed by a hard freeze.  We're two weeks from Bradford Pear trees blooming.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2014, 08:48:37 AM »
Well crud.

I have a snow day from work and I'm home with the dogs. Normally, I go to work if I can get out, thus I do not get to enjoy my snow dogs, because it all melts by the time I get home.

I decided to force my way out the back door and walk around to the front to clear the porch and steps. IDK the official how much, but it seems to be somewhere between 8 or 9 inches (conservative estimate) with drifts making it a lot deeper in some places.
In other words... It's too deep for the dogs to really play in. :(
On the plus side, under the crusty exterior, the stuff is fine and dry, so once I got the worst of it shoveled away, I was able to sweep everything clear to wood.

Poor Dad. I'm living the good life. Powers still on, plenty of kerosene, food and entertainment. He's out in Zions Crossroads. IDK if he found a hotel room or ended up sleeping in his car. Probably the car. He has a sleeping bag and food and water, so it won't kill 'em.
But that shits gotta suck.

Oh and skid, based on the fact that Dad got told not to worry about getting the bags through last night (of course, they didn't tell him that until he was already out on 64 to Richmond) and I doubt banks will even open today, nobody is going to be commuting.

Considering the life or death importance given to interoffice mail and paperwork by that company, when they say the roads are too bad, it's really well past the point when sane people without actual life or death responcibilities go on the roads. ;/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:55:56 AM by bluestarlizzard »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2014, 09:01:02 AM »
In other words... It's too deep for the dogs to really play in. :(

Nonsense. There's no such thing as too deep for dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLAh1HQ7o2c
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2014, 10:13:38 AM »
Nonsense. There's no such thing as too deep for dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLAh1HQ7o2c

Southwest is 14 with horrible hips. Pearl is 13 and has a coat better suited for feilds then snow and Graham... Well, Grahams just a lazy little *expletive deleted*it. The snow is so high that it cradles Southwest and Pearl and Graham are shorter then him.

Southwest did try. More then try. He decided to be a fool and push through even though he doesn't have the strength in his hind end to propel him through that snow. Pearl floundered for a bit but figured it out well enough to enjoy it, but I had to drag her back in before she started to freeze.
Graham thinks playing in the snow is for losers, especially if it involves any real effort. He'd rather sleep in Dads bed.

Graham stayed in the area I had broken up for Southwest. Pearl also took advantage of the path, with occasional forays out into the unbroken areas. Southwest refused to stay in the area I broke up for him and insisted in breaking his own path. The results were amusing... And photographed. :lol:

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2014, 10:38:27 AM »
All I can say is that yesterday, when the sleet ontop of the snow was just thick enough to form a crust but not enough to support his weight for more than a couple seconds....the wifes chihuahua was NOT amused.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.