Author Topic: Zogby: Barr Is McCain's Nightmare  (Read 8883 times)

JimMarch

• friend
Re: Zogby: Barr Is McCain's Nightmare
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 11:15:29 PM »
I wouldn't vote for Barr even if the Libertarian party had a chance in hell.  From what I've read of the guy, he's NOT a Libertarian.

A dozen years ago you'd have been absolutely right.  Just for starters, Barr was a major "drug warrior" (ban it all) type and a big-government supporter to a lesser degree.

What happened was, he looked at the civil rights violations post-9/11 and realized that ALL of the garbage had it's origins with the "War On [some] Drugs"...and did a major ideology shift on a "Paul on the road to Damascus" scale...

He really is Libertarian these days.

nico

• friend
Re: Zogby: Barr Is McCain's Nightmare
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 07:22:11 PM »
I wouldn't vote for Barr even if the Libertarian party had a chance in hell.  From what I've read of the guy, he's NOT a Libertarian.

A dozen years ago you'd have been absolutely right.  Just for starters, Barr was a major "drug warrior" (ban it all) type and a big-government supporter to a lesser degree.

What happened was, he looked at the civil rights violations post-9/11 and realized that ALL of the garbage had it's origins with the "War On [some] Drugs"...and did a major ideology shift on a "Paul on the road to Damascus" scale...

He really is Libertarian these days.

I thought pretty much the same thing as the post you quoted until I saw him on Glenn Beck a few weeks ago.  Who can say for sure that any politician is telling the truth, but he was pretty open about the fact that his views have significantly changed.  It isn't one of those "this is what I've always thought/ just ignore what I said before" situations.