Author Topic: Vatican lists "new sins,"  (Read 7964 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
Vatican lists "new sins,"
« on: March 10, 2008, 07:39:05 AM »
http://green.yahoo.com/news/nm/20080310/hl_nm/pope_sins_dc.html

By Philip Pullella Posted Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:00am PDT

A faithful holds the cross during a mass at a Catholic church on the outskirts of Changzhi, Shanxi province December 23, 2007. The Vatican has told the faithful that they should be aware of 'new' sins such as causing environmental blight. (Stringer/Reuters)
VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Thou shall not pollute the Earth. Thou shall beware genetic manipulation. Modern times bring with them modern sins. So the Vatican has told the faithful that they should be aware of "new" sins such as causing environmental blight.

The guidance came at the weekend when Archbishop Gianfranco Girotti, the Vatican's number two man in the sometimes murky area of sins and penance, spoke of modern evils.

Asked what he believed were today's "new sins," he told the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano that the greatest danger zone for the modern soul was the largely uncharted world of bioethics.

"(Within bioethics) there are areas where we absolutely must denounce some violations of the fundamental rights of human nature through experiments and genetic manipulation whose outcome is difficult to predict and control," he said.

The Vatican opposes stem cell research that involves destruction of embryos and has warned against the prospect of human cloning.

Girotti, in an interview headlined "New Forms of Social Sin," also listed "ecological" offences as modern evils.

In recent months, Pope Benedict has made several strong appeals for the protection of the environment, saying issues such as climate change had become gravely important for the entire human race.

Under Benedict and his predecessor John Paul, the Vatican has become progressively "green."

It has installed photovoltaic cells on buildings to produce electricity and hosted a scientific conference to discuss the ramifications of global warming and climate change, widely blamed on human use of fossil fuels.

Girotti, who is number two in the Vatican "Apostolic Penitentiary," which deals with matter of conscience, also listed drug trafficking and social and economic injustices as modern sins.

But Girotti also bemoaned that fewer and fewer Catholics go to confession at all.

He pointed to a study by Milan's Catholic University that showed that up to 60 percent of Catholic faithful in Italy stopped going to confession.

In the sacrament of Penance, Catholics confess their sins to a priest who absolves them in God's name.

But the same study by the Catholic University showed that 30 percent of Italian Catholics believed that there was no need for a priest to be God's intermediary and 20 percent felt uncomfortable talking about their sins to another person.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Vatican lists "new sins,"
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:14:46 AM »
I guess I just don't understand the Catholic Church.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 10:31:48 AM »
Did they put thread-jacking or trolling on the list?   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Paddy

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 10:36:05 AM »

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 10:45:46 AM »
Because we don't have enough problems with the "old" sins.  I can just see some wacky catholic going in to confess to using filament bulbs and tossing their candy wrappers on the ground.  How many Hail Mary's is that?  Like a billion?
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

JDTHEWOLF

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 10:47:38 AM »
I am a pagan...the religion of my ancestors...Asatru.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 10:49:09 AM »

Hey, I ain't Catholic, either.  But did anyone ask?  Huh?

The Viking

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 10:49:35 AM »
Did they put thread-jacking or trolling on the list?   cheesy
Yep, but you are, as always, responsible for that laugh, so no Hail Mary's needed by those who commit those sins.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 10:51:44 AM »
I thought they were going to do modern sins. Like excessive hitting of the snooze button, ordering a latte bigger than what you need...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 10:52:58 AM »
I think I've found a new avatar.   cheesy

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »
I thought they were going to do modern sins. Like excessive hitting of the snooze button, ordering a latte bigger than what you need...

Covered by Sloth and Gluttony, respectively.  Destroying the Planet?  That's new.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 11:07:30 AM »
They forgot to mention buggering alter boys.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 11:41:24 AM »
Chances are they'll count that as a sin, too, then.   rolleyes

-BP, Druid.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 12:06:33 PM »
Of course.  That's an old sin.  Ooh, the Catholic church considers you a sinner!  Are you all scared, or something? 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 12:09:33 PM »
    The Operative: Do you know what your sin is, Mal?
    Mal: Oh hell, I'm a fan of all seven.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 12:22:55 PM »
Right now, I'm gonna have to go with wrath.   laugh

Warren

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 01:43:35 PM »
Gianfranco Girotti, the Vatican's number two man in the sometimes murky area of sins and penance,

Oh come on! Just call him Papal Vice President, Sins and Penance division.

The catholic Church has long been involved with recycling, given where they grabbed a lot of their scripture from. Plus The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost that's three uses out of one god.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 11:17:18 AM »
My wife used to be a Catholic.  The church threw her out when she married me, a heathen.  I noticed one of the old mortal sins is "pride".  I guess all of us are going to hell now.......chris3

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 11:39:35 AM »
Gianfranco Girotti, the Vatican's number two man in the sometimes murky area of sins and penance,

I guess the Number One Guy for this is Elliot Spitzer.....  angel

I don't have much use for Catholocism, but having a service where wine and crackers are served seems pretty neat. Wish someone would invent Holy Cow Cheese.....  angel
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 11:42:37 AM »
I noticed one of the old mortal sins is "pride". 
It's not like "Proud to be an American" kind of pride.  It's more "I'm so f'ing awesome that I don't need G-D" kind of pride.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 03:41:29 PM »
RCC does some strange things indeed.  I don't recall this in the bible but when has that ever stopped the Catholic church?

I love some of their practices and a well done Mass is a truly beautiful experience.  But their beliefs?  No thank you.  Now a Lutheran Mass (not that I've heard of one lately lol) I'd be all over.  What I'd give for a Lutheran church that isn't afraid of looking to Roman.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BridgeWalker

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 03:47:24 PM »
I find it odd and unusual that as a Roman Catholic I come across far more people saying rude and crass things about my faith than I ever did when I was practicing Orthodox Jew.  I guess that's partly because I was more sheltered then and partly because people are starting to get a clue that anti-semitism isn't cool.  Anti-Catholic rantings however, still seem to be socially acceptable.  I guess that's ok; there's no need for all people to be a fan of all things, or pretend they are.  Nonetheless, I don't really see the point of being disrespectful just for the fun of it.

Unless of course, you write for South Park.  They get a pass on mocking everyone.  grin

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 03:50:04 PM »
I'm rather fond of them all myself; lately Sloth has been my favorite.

Da Bianhua
}:)>

The Operative: Do you know what your sin is, Mal?
    Mal: Oh hell, I'm a fan of all seven.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 03:54:11 PM »
Unless of course, you write for South Park.  They get a pass on mocking everyone.  grin

Except Mohammed.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

agricola

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 03:55:30 PM »
that would be an ecumenical matter

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"