Author Topic: In the Heat Wave, The Case Against Air Conditioning  (Read 9102 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
In the Heat Wave, The Case Against Air Conditioning
« on: July 12, 2010, 11:20:13 AM »
I think this guy is an idiot. I'm guessing he's never done any manual labor for a living either. Also I'm sure people in certain parts of DC and other high crime areas would just love to go to sleep at night with all their windows wide open ("grills" or no).

Many of the enviros at my work think just like this guy and complain whenever I have the air conditioning in my office on. Yet because they're always cold, the area of the office where they sit is always between 80-85 degrees all year, which means the heater is cranking most of the year. Perhaps not a one to one ratio on energy use, but if I'm being told to take off my jacket and turn off the A/C, why can't someone who's cold put theirs on?

I'm all for things like architectural modifications to reduce energy use, but why do these people always have to come off so finger-waggy? It's very annoying.

Anyways, they'll have to take my air conditioning from my warm, dead hands.

------------------------
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/09/AR2010070902341.html

In the heat wave, the case against air conditioning

By Stan Cox
Sunday, July 11, 2010; B03

Washington didn't grind to a sweaty halt last week under triple-digit temperatures. People didn't even slow down. Instead, the three-day, 100-plus-degree, record-shattering heat wave prompted Washingtonians to crank up their favorite humidity-reducing, electricity-bill-busting, fluorocarbon-filled appliance: the air conditioner.

(Photos: People cool down during heat wave)

This isn't smart. In a country that's among the world's highest greenhouse-gas emitters, air conditioning is one of the worst power-guzzlers. The energy required to air-condition American homes and retail spaces has doubled since the early 1990s. Turning buildings into refrigerators burns fossil fuels, which emits greenhouse gases, which raises global temperatures, which creates a need for -- you guessed it -- more air-conditioning.

A.C.'s obvious public-health benefits during severe heat waves do not justify its lavish use in everyday life for months on end. Less than half a century ago, America thrived with only the spottiest use of air conditioning. It could again. While central air will always be needed in facilities such as hospitals, archives and cooling centers for those who are vulnerable to heat, what would an otherwise A.C.-free Washington look like?

At work

In a world without air conditioning, a warmer, more flexible, more relaxed workplace helps make summer a time to slow down again. Three-digit temperatures prompt siestas. Code-orange days mean offices are closed. Shorter summer business hours and month-long closings -- common in pre-air-conditioned America -- return.

(Eye on Earth: A glimpse of how humans might be impacting the natural environment)

Business suits are out, for both sexes. And with the right to open a window, office employees no longer have to carry sweaters or space heaters to work in the summer. After a long absence, ceiling fans, window fans and desk fans (and, for that matter, paperweights) take back the American office.

Best of all, Washington's biggest business -- government -- is transformed. In 1978, 50 years after air conditioning was installed in Congress, New York Times columnist Russell Baker noted that, pre-A.C., Congress was forced to adjourn to avoid Washington's torturous summers, and "the nation enjoyed a respite from the promulgation of more laws, the depredations of lobbyists, the hatching of new schemes for Federal expansion and, of course, the cost of maintaining a government running at full blast."

Post-A.C., Congress again adjourns for the summer, giving "tea partiers" the smaller government they seek. During unseasonably warm spring and fall days, hearings are held under canopies on the Capitol lawn. What better way to foster open government and prompt politicians to focus on climate change?

At home

Homeowners from Ward 8 to the Palisades pry open double-hung windows that were painted shut decades ago. In the air-conditioned age, fear of crime was often cited by people reluctant to open their homes to night breezes. In Washington, as in most of the world's warm cities, window grilles (not "bars," please) are now standard.

In renovation and new construction alike, high ceilings, better cross-ventilation, whole-house fans, screened porches, basements and white "cool roofs" to reflect solar rays become de rigueur. Home utility bills plummet.

Families unplug as many heat-generating appliances as possible. Forget clothes dryers --post-A.C. neighborhoods are crisscrossed with clotheslines. The hot stove is abandoned for the grill, and dinner is eaten on the porch.

Around town

Saying goodbye to A.C. means saying hello to the world. With more people spending more time outdoors -- particularly in the late afternoon and evening, when temperatures fall more quickly outside than they do inside -- neighborhoods see a boom in spontaneous summertime socializing.

Rather than cowering alone in chilly home-entertainment rooms, neighbors get to know one another. Because there are more people outside, streets in high-crime areas become safer. As a result of all this, a strange thing happens: Deaths from heat decline. Elderly people no longer die alone inside sweltering apartments, too afraid to venture outside for help and too isolated to be noticed. Instead, people look out for one another during heat waves, checking in on their most vulnerable neighbors.

Children -- and others -- take to bikes and scooters, because of the cooling effect of air movement. Calls for more summer school and even year-round school cease. Our kids don't need more time inside, everyone agrees; they need the shady playgrounds and water sprinklers that spring up in every neighborhood.

"Green roofs" of grass, ivy and even food crops sprout on the flat tops of government and commercial buildings around the city, including the White House. These layers of soil and vegetation (on top of a crucially leak-proof surface) insulate interiors from the pounding sun, while water from the plants' leaves provides evaporative cooling. More trees than ever appear in both private and public spaces.

And the Mall is reborn as the National Grove.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: In the Heat Wave, The Case Against Air Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:32:43 AM »
He's an idiot...

Except for this:

Best of all, Washington's biggest business -- government -- is transformed. In 1978, 50 years after air conditioning was installed in Congress, New York Times columnist Russell Baker noted that, pre-A.C., Congress was forced to adjourn to avoid Washington's torturous summers, and "the nation enjoyed a respite from the promulgation of more laws, the depredations of lobbyists, the hatching of new schemes for Federal expansion and, of course, the cost of maintaining a government running at full blast."

Post-A.C., Congress again adjourns for the summer, giving "tea partiers" the smaller government they seek. During unseasonably warm spring and fall days, hearings are held under canopies on the Capitol lawn.

I actually told my coworkers last week I am all in favor of banning air conditioning in ALL government buildings.

I suppose even a blind squirrel can find some acorns.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 11:35:23 AM »
Oooo, here's a great one:

Forget clothes dryers --post-A.C. neighborhoods are crisscrossed with clotheslines. The hot stove is abandoned for the grill, and dinner is eaten on the porch.

A SERIOUS number of HoAs would have to change their policies first. I have no problem with hanging clothes. HoAs do, though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Iain

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 11:53:56 AM »
We don't use it in homes, and there are times in the summer when we could make use of it. That said, I don't understand using AC to actually make it cold in the workplace. Was sat in a meeting the other day, near 30c outside, and the AC was set to 15c.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 12:04:30 PM »
The author obviously hasn't lived in Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas or California.

Try keeping a computer alive for more than a month in a 90-100 degree living environment.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 12:07:02 PM »
Try keeping a computer alive for more than a month in a 90-100 degree living environment.

Yeah, when people complain that it's too cold in the classroom or my office, I point out that I'm on the same A/C line as the server room.  That usually ends the discussion.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 12:13:35 PM »
Several years ago, a woman at one of our department meetings stated that she felt that the A/C was set too low, as she was always cold.

The rest of the crew - almost all guys - felt the A/C was fine.

She continued to complain . . . until I said "Dora, you can always wear a sweater if you're chilly. How much of my clothing are you comfortable with my removing if I feel too hot in here?"

Much laughter . . . but she never complained in public about the A/C again.  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 12:16:28 PM »
I can't figure out people who think they need a space heater for an A/C office, like they aren't smart enough to keep a sweater or jacket in the office. I'd probably reprimand then fire folks who do that, same for folks who think they have to turn the heat up or turn the AC down.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 01:03:47 PM »
Electric resistance heaters use way more juice than heat pumps in cooling, ime.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 02:14:41 PM »
In a world without air conditioning, a warmer, more flexible, more relaxed workplace helps make summer a time to slow down again. Three-digit temperatures prompt siestas. Code-orange days mean offices are closed. Shorter summer business hours and month-long closings -- common in pre-air-conditioned America -- return.
The real reason for eliminating AC - the author doesn't want to work during the summer  :lol:

Business suits are out, for both sexes.
And is scared of suits. Heh.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 03:14:21 PM »
Why, there'd be sweat running in the streets.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 03:26:49 PM »

Except some of us do "important" enough work that we don't WANT a couple hour siestas or WEEKS of businesses being closed.  Any company stupid enough to follow his guidelines might be able maybe stay in business.  Doubtful, but possible.  But gods would it suck to work for such a company.  More likely, they'd be out of business or bought out by a less stupid company.

Think this guy would stick with a job that randomly furloughed him without pay based on the weather?   Or did he think someone besides the government would pay him to sit at home?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 03:37:31 PM »
Try to take away my A/C, and I'll kill you. End of discussion.

In a world without air conditioning, a warmer, more flexible, more relaxed workplace helps make summer a time to slow down again.

That's stupid, as Revdisk notes. I get paid only if I work. And has this fool ever unloaded a tractor trailer without A/C in the warehouse? I have. It's frickin' miserable.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 03:39:33 PM »
I'm all for environmentalism, but this guy's a bit loony.

Has he ever been in an attic room with low ceilings in the summer? I live in the attic and it easily get +20 - 30 degrees hotter than outside air temperature. I've already had to vacate the attic more than twice this year because it was too hot with my AC on high! Pretty annoying not being able to use your own room.

What about high rise office building? I'm in the Chrysler Building, per our lease where not allowed to open the windows. (I don't know why, risk of dropping things?) I'd hate to find out how hot this building can get without air conditioning. At least he didn't advocate no AC on the subway, I could only imagine the funk that would produce.

Code-orange days mean offices are closed.

Yea, my boss is going to give me the day off because its "too hot"  ;/

Shorter summer business hours and month-long closings

Just what we need in these tough economic times, people producing less, and earning less money! Fantabulis idea!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 04:06:31 PM »
Has he ever been in an attic room with low ceilings in the summer? I live in the attic and it easily get +20 - 30 degrees hotter than outside air temperature. I've already had to vacate the attic more than twice this year because it was too hot with my AC on high! Pretty annoying not being able to use your own room.

Well, in the 'good old days' the attic was there deliberately to provide insulation/moderation to the floors underneath it, protecting them from the sun.  You also likely have insignificant amounts of insulation up there.

There are numerous cases where a 10 year loan on the basis of cooling/heating costs would pay for some serious remodeling to save energy.

What about high rise office building? I'm in the Chrysler Building, per our lease where not allowed to open the windows. (I don't know why, risk of dropping things?) I'd hate to find out how hot this building can get without air conditioning. At least he didn't advocate no AC on the subway, I could only imagine the funk that would produce.

Any building that gets big enough will require active cooling; even in Siberia during the winter.  Still, there are things you can do to get creative and reduce the amount needed.  If nothing else, a number of fancy tricks and using a quarter of the energy for dozens of skyscrapers might actually drop the outside temperature a bit.  Heck, 'greenspacing' where you get rid of sqaure miles of concrete and put grass and other plants back can drop ambient.

I'll note that I don't endorse what this guy mentions; my work would suck in the summer without AC, though my house doesn't have it.  Better options include actually having energy audits and such done - eliminate wasteful cooling to 60-65 unless there's an actual need.  Cool to 75-80, heat to 65-70.  Work to make buildings that tend to keep in that range themselves.  Thermal mass and such.

Hmm...  Any of you guys heard of absorption chillers?  I remember reading about a building that built a solar powered version - the more sun they got, the more chilled water it produced.  Combined with a BIG water tank, it could provide AC all day long.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 04:18:46 PM »
I work in a building with insufficient AC. It's bearable during spring/fall. Now though? It's probably 40 degrees Celsius, atleast. I'm expecting to drop down from heatstroke any day now. Put this idiot in there and he'd be dead within the first hour...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »
In high humidity, I have breathing difficulty without AC.  But I guess I could just move into a "cooling center" with the other defectives.  My house doesn't have central air, but my office is in the kitchen nook, where we have a good window unit, and there's another in the bedroom.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 04:45:23 PM »
Try to take away my A/C, and I'll kill you. End of discussion.

That's stupid, as Revdisk notes. I get paid only if I work. And has this fool ever unloaded a tractor trailer without A/C in the warehouse? I have. It's frickin' miserable.

Our Aux. warehouse is just a hair North of Atlanta. The operations areas (dock, pick areas, basically everywhere but the offices) has no climate control.

Near Atlanta Georgia. Middle of summer. No AC. Unloading an import container.

No thanks.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 04:58:38 PM »
I've vaguely recall hearing of people suffering heart attacks or some sort of sudden affliction when stepping from an AC environment into serious heat. Ever heard anything like that?
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 06:12:50 PM »
I work in a building that has no AC, just fans.  Days have been popping up to high-90s lately, and 80-95% humidity. 

When I leave this job, it will be for one I've had before, working outside on a hot tarmac in 115o, 80% humidity weather on wings that bake at a nice 130-135o.  As long as I have enough water, I'm fine.

But if you take away my AC, I will overlap fields of fire with Avenger29.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 06:20:36 PM »
Helped a friend prep his parent's farm for sale this past week.

It was VERY hot in Pennsyvlvania.

If the thermometers were to be believed, it topped out at 102 on the front porch and in the barn, when we opened the doors?

And that was on the barn floor.

Up in the loft it was probably a lot hotter than that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 06:36:09 PM »
I work in a downtown office building with windows that don't open. I can't imagine how many windows would have to be replaced. Also, I'm not sure I want to inhale vehicle exhaust all day long.

Unreal. Sometimes other people's versions of utopia is pretty funny.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 07:06:48 PM »
Another consideration is modern home design.

Older homes were built without A/C in mind. They typically had good cross ventilation with the windows, adequate numbers of windows, and many had attic fans vaults and similar systems to draw hot air out of the living spaces and either into the vaults/lofts or out of the house entirely. In short, they were made to have natural cooling. Not as good, but it made it bearable.

Modern homes, on the other hand, are not built with such considerations. They are built with A/C cooling in mind so typically have crappy cross ventilation and no means to evacuate hot air from the home. In short, without A/C they typically become much hotter then a comparable older home would have.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 07:09:23 PM »
Unreal. Sometimes other people's versions of utopia is pretty funny.

The liberal "utopias" are found in movies such as Avatar, in the communes of the 1960's, and in the railings against Big (Oil, Pharmaceuticals, or insert industry here). The utopias seem to be comprised of small agrarian communities where individuals grow their own food, and live "simple" lives that don't rely on polluting technologies or large corporations.

The irony of this is that such societies exist all over the planet in Third World countries. The lack of Big Agriculture leaves the societies vulnerable to famine, the lack of Big Pharmaceuticals to death by what we would consider minor disease, and the lack of Big Business to brutal poverty.

If the author wants to stand in oppressive heat poking a sharp stick at what he hopes will be dinner, good for him, as long as he leaves me out of his plans.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 07:12:39 PM »
If the author wants to stand in oppressive heat poking a sharp stick at what he hopes will be dinner, good for him, as long as he leaves me out of his plans.

+1. I'm just fine with letting them live their lives however it floats their boat. When they want to interfer with mine is when I get really, really pissed.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!