Author Topic: Who else is as cheap as gun buyers?  (Read 2030 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Who else is as cheap as gun buyers?
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 08:54:01 PM »
You can pick up a lot of decent hunting rifles from $400-700.

Pisshaw!  hunderd bucks.

cheap >:D

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 08:57:23 PM »
Pisshaw!  hunderd bucks.

cheap >:D

There is no way in hell I would take a cheap rifle on a $5000 Elk hunt.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2014, 08:59:46 PM »
Would it help to rephrase the question?

Some folks are willing to settle for whatever works just as long as it is the least expensive (and thus often the cheapest, too) when they are buying.

Those same folks are often the same ones who actually believe that the item obtained under the above criteria are worth top-drawer prices when it comes to selling.

These characteristics are ascribed to the denizens of whatever activity in which you happen to encounter them - probably because at that moment you are not encountering them in some other setting.

With that, we come to the perpetual question - how much quality is "just right"?  For some things I will settle for nothing less that top-drawer quality, but will look for the least expense needed.  For other things, bottom-of-the-barrel will do just fine.

That being said, I must admit that I have never wanted to know enough about a thing that I could differentiate by sight whether it was high-end, low-end, or just plain dreck.  My bottom line (for myself and for everybody else) is that if it works things are just wonderful, and if your high-end/low-end stuff does not work for you I do not want to hear about it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 08:59:48 PM »

IS SOME SORT OF RULE THAT YOU MUST TAKE RIFLE OF CAPITALIST DOG TO HUNT SMELLY FOOD?

IF RIFLE GOOD ENOUGH TO SMASH CHEST OF FASCIST, GOOD ENOUGH TO MAKE SILLY TROPHY FOR DECADENT AMERICAN DEN
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 09:01:58 PM »
IS SOME SORT OF RULE THAT YOU MUST TAKE RIFLE OF CAPITALIST DOG TO HUNT SMELLY FOOD?

IF RIFLE GOOD ENOUGH TO SMASH CHEST OF FASCIST, GOOD ENOUGH TO MAKE SILLY TROPHY FOR DECADENT AMERICAN DEN

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: [ar15]

Uranus is a gas giant.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 09:02:49 PM »

Not knowing, I need to ask - will it kill an elk at the range you normally encounter an elk?

If so, in my book it's 'good enough".  Plus, there are bonus points when it does work and the uber-ultra-expensive shootenboomerstick the other guy was toting missed.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2014, 09:25:35 PM »
Not knowing, I need to ask - will it kill an elk at the range you normally encounter an elk?

If so, in my book it's 'good enough".  Plus, there are bonus points when it does work and the uber-ultra-expensive shootenboomerstick the other guy was toting missed.

stay safe.

7.62x54R is about the same as .308, so it should do the job. Just got to get a bit closer in order to actually hit the damn thing, unless you have a Finnish rebuild...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 09:31:37 PM »

If so, in my book it's 'good enough".  Plus, there are bonus points when it does work and the uber-ultra-expensive shootenboomerstick the other guy was toting missed.

stay safe.

Most Elk where I hunt are shot 200-500yards. Most are 200-300 yards.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 09:32:59 PM »
Pisshaw!  hunderd bucks.

I doubt you could get a decent Mosin Nagant for $100 nowadays.

Might have to splurge: $150 or so.     ;)
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 10:01:15 PM »
7.62x54R is about the same as .308, so it should do the job. Just got to get a bit closer in order to actually hit the damn thing, unless you have a Finnish rebuild...

And a Finn Mosin is not going to go for "a hunnerdollar".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2014, 11:17:10 PM »
Sigh.....I remember the days when they were in gunshops in a barrel with a sign that read "$29.00 ea".

Finally bought a good one (all matching original serial #'s) for $69.00.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2014, 11:18:38 PM »
OK, on the rifle prices. Like I said, I'm not in the rifle market lately, so I don't price 'em.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2014, 11:34:27 PM »
Would it help to rephrase the question?

Some folks are willing to settle for whatever works just as long as it is the least expensive (and thus often the cheapest, too) when they are buying.

Those same folks are often the same ones who actually believe that the item obtained under the above criteria are worth top-drawer prices when it comes to selling.

These characteristics are ascribed to the denizens of whatever activity in which you happen to encounter them - probably because at that moment you are not encountering them in some other setting.

With that, we come to the perpetual question - how much quality is "just right"?  For some things I will settle for nothing less that top-drawer quality, but will look for the least expense needed.  For other things, bottom-of-the-barrel will do just fine.

That being said, I must admit that I have never wanted to know enough about a thing that I could differentiate by sight whether it was high-end, low-end, or just plain dreck.  My bottom line (for myself and for everybody else) is that if it works things are just wonderful, and if your high-end/low-end stuff does not work for you I do not want to hear about it.

stay safe.

Let me try to rephrase, or at least offer an example. I advertise on a site (slickguns.com) where the members/visitors post the best deals they've found on just about anything gun related. The people that frequent the site aren't necessarily looking to buy something inexpensive, but are looking to buy whatever it is they want at the absolute lowest price. I can advertise a $1000 ACOG for $50 above my cost, and they'll tout Botach Tactical if Botach is even $5 less. Doesn't matter that Botach has a horrible reputation, and a buyer has a 20% chance of never getting his order. Botach is $5 cheaper and that's all that counts.

I'd like to find these sort of people in other areas of interest, such as musical instruments as Fitz mentioned or parts and tools for shade tree mechanics.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2014, 04:11:10 PM »
Who else is as cheap as gun buyers?

Any group I belong to . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2014, 04:19:22 PM »
Let me try to rephrase, or at least offer an example. I advertise on a site (slickguns.com) where the members/visitors post the best deals they've found on just about anything gun related. The people that frequent the site aren't necessarily looking to buy something inexpensive, but are looking to buy whatever it is they want at the absolute lowest price. I can advertise a $1000 ACOG for $50 above my cost, and they'll tout Botach Tactical if Botach is even $5 less. Doesn't matter that Botach has a horrible reputation, and a buyer has a 20% chance of never getting his order. Botach is $5 cheaper and that's all that counts.

I'd like to find these sort of people in other areas of interest, such as musical instruments as Fitz mentioned or parts and tools for shade tree mechanics.

It seems what you are actually looking for are people who are price conscious to the exclusion of all else.

I'll admit I'm guilty of that to an extent.  If I'm getting the exact same product from the same manufacturer, I generally care less who the middle man providing it is.  Often it'll be amazon contracting with some outfit I've never heard of before.  /shrug/

Anymore, all the middlemen are doing anyway is drop-shipping - why wouldn't I choose the lowest cost vendor?  If it doesn't arrive, I have the protection of visa behind me.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2014, 05:52:30 PM »

Any site dedicated to finding the very lowest price will be full of people who only care about getting the very lowest price.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2014, 07:02:07 PM »
I'm wondering if the cheapness of folk,or rather,the apparent cheapness of folk has become more prevalent in the last decade?If before the Towers fell people were as "cheap"as some appear now?Does recession breed a particular mindset?My grandparents and those of many,many members here lived thru the Great Depression.Those people were labeled frugal.Is there really any difference?Other than that the internet gives instant access to "deals" and that like minded folk can forum up and support each others habit?
jeff w

I like onions!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2014, 08:53:06 PM »
I'm trying to find another very large niche group that's nearly as cheap, as cheap, or cheaper.

Any ideas?

Jeep people.

Just like gun people. If they're selling, it's worth a gazillion dollars. If they're buying, it's junk but they'll do you a favor and take it off your hands.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:43:45 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2014, 08:55:49 PM »
Jeep people.

Just like gun people. If they're selling, it's wort a gazillion dollars. If they're buying, it's junk but they'll do you a favor and take it off your hands.

Craigslisters.

I had a guy offer me $100 for my nearly brand new air compressor the other day. *expletive deleted*ck him. I'd send it to a scrapyard before selling it to a low balling mother *expletive deleted*er like that.

Of course, if he was selling something it'd be priced like it was made of gold.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2014, 08:50:05 PM »
I'm wondering if the cheapness of folk,or rather,the apparent cheapness of folk has become more prevalent in the last decade?If before the Towers fell people were as "cheap"as some appear now?Does recession breed a particular mindset?My grandparents and those of many,many members here lived thru the Great Depression.Those people were labeled frugal.Is there really any difference?Other than that the internet gives instant access to "deals" and that like minded folk can forum up and support each others habit?

Frugal is vastly different that cheap.

A frugal person may well insist on paying more than lowest price based on quality issues (buy quality once vs buy cheap over and over).  A frugal person may insist on paying more than lowest price because the cheap stuff is designed for rapid obsolesence and has no user-replacable parts while the more expensive item can be maintained via repair/replacement of parts for a service life much greater than the cheapest item for less total cost than multiple replacements of the cheapest item.

stay safe.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2014, 08:52:15 PM »
Frugal is vastly different that cheap.

A frugal person may well insist on paying more than lowest price based on quality issues (buy quality once vs buy cheap over and over).  A frugal person may insist on paying more than lowest price because the cheap stuff is designed for rapid obsolesence and has no user-replacable parts while the more expensive item can be maintained via repair/replacement of parts for a service life much greater than the cheapest item for less total cost than multiple replacements of the cheapest item.

stay safe.

Gotcha.
Then is cheap the modern equivalent to historical frugality?Cars,appliances,& relationships-it seems that more and more faster/cheaper/easier is the norm.Don't get me wrong,I know that there are still those that aquire(and for the sake of argument I'm including relationships as acquisitions) quality but the mindset of buying cheap because it's all disposable anyways seems the norm.Walmart society.Made in China.& etc.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 09:01:50 PM by onions! »
jeff w

I like onions!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2014, 08:55:56 PM »
No, modern cheap is not the same as "historical" frugality.  Frugal has always been frugal.

The advance of instant gratification is what I blame for modern cheapness.  Not sure how that actually applies to firearms/firearms accessories, except that since everybody "has to have" all 23 pounds of crap hanging off their gun and even the first 4 ounces of really good stuff does cost a lot more than 6 pounds of cheap crap, there might be your nexus.

stay safe.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2014, 09:49:46 PM »
Reloaders.  Was buddies with a LGS owner, and he cussed 'em.  "Damned reloaders will drive 30 miles to save 50 cents".  I have seen them at on a deserted range, walking the backstop, picking up bullets to re-cast.

Btdt, still have the XL-650.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2014, 06:43:50 AM »
Reloaders.  Was buddies with a LGS owner, and he cussed 'em.  "Damned reloaders will drive 30 miles to save 50 cents".  I have seen them at on a deserted range, walking the backstop, picking up bullets to re-cast.

Btdt, still have the XL-650.

Environmental heros protecting the groundwater maligned again!  News at eleven.

stay safe.