Author Topic: My feelz - they hurt  (Read 1923 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
My feelz - they hurt
« on: March 07, 2015, 03:06:19 PM »
http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6335

The Associated Students of University of California, Irvine (ASUCI) voted Tuesday to remove all flags, including American flags, from an inclusive space on campus because of their offensive nature.

The bill, R50-70, was authored by Social Ecology Representative Matthew Guevara, and accuses all flags, especially, the American flag, of being “symbols of patriotism or weapons for nationalism.”

“[F]lags construct paradigms of conformity and sets [sic] homogenized standards for others to obtain which in this country typically are idolized as freedom, equality, and democracy,” the bill reads.

No *expletive*it, Sherlock.

The legislation argues that flags may be interpreted differently; the American flag, for example, can represent “American exceptionalism and superiority,” as well as oppression.

“[T]he American flag has been flown in instances of colonialism and imperialism,” the bill continues, arguing that “symbolism has negative and positive aspects that are interpreted differently by individuals.”

The anti-flag hanging bill adds that free speech, such as flags in inclusive spaces, can be interpreted as hate speech.

“[F]reedom of speech, in a space that aims to be as inclusive as possible[,] can be interpreted as hate speech,” the bill reads.

:facepalm:   [barf]   :facepalm:   [tinfoil]

“Let it be resolved that ASUCI make every effort to make the Associated Students main lobby space as inclusive as possible.”

“Let it further be resolved that no flag, of any nation, may be hanged on the walls of the Associate Student main lobby space.”

“Let it be further be resolved that if a decorative item is in the Associate student lobby space and issues arise, the solution will be to remove the item if there is considerable request to do so.”

So from now on decisions will be made by whose feelz hurt the loudest.  [tinfoil]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: My feelz - they hurt
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 03:26:35 PM »
http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6335

No *expletive*it, Sherlock.

:facepalm:   [barf]   :facepalm:   [tinfoil]

So from now on decisions will be made by whose feelz hurt the loudest.  [tinfoil]

stay safe.

At the Oppression Olympics:
"And the gold metal for the 100m Butthurt goes to Mona Lott."

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 03:34:20 PM »
UC Irvine is a really weird campus. They're located in a pretty conservative area, but seem to attract more nitwits than even UC Berkeley.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 07:00:15 PM »
When I am in a foreign country, their flying their own flag, or singing their patriotic songs bothers me not in the least. I suspect our flying our flag, reciting our pledge, or singing our songs bothers foreigners not in the least.

If it is Americans worrying about what non-citizens think, their hypersensitivity is misplaced. If they themselves are offended by other Americans love of their own country . . . they deserve less respect than they give those whom they call non-PC hate-speakers.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 08:57:27 PM »
I have never quite understood this argument.

“[T]he American flag has been flown in instances of colonialism and imperialism,” the bill continues, arguing that “symbolism has negative and positive aspects that are interpreted differently by individuals.”

When has the US actually behaved as a traditional colonial or imperial power? Pretty much every "place" the US had "taken" in the last 50 to 70 years outside of the Continental states has been given back to it's own people to govern more or less as they choose. Japan? Germany? Philippines? Korea? Some countries in South America? Even before that, the USA did not particularly take any country over as a colony nor acted as an empire to any country. We may have supported non ideal governments or corporate actions as a country, "imperial" and "colonial", not really so much according to the real definitions of those words.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 08:33:50 AM »
this chit means nothing.  There is no 'authority' within the student group to demand anything.  The anti American flag voters, all 4 of 'em, are most likely illegals in the first place.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 02:24:32 PM »
Flag ban reversed:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/03/08/uc-irvine-reverses-american-flag-ban/?intcmp=latestnews

Horry Clap, Batman!

Someone get Jamis over there to make sure no pig crashes into another one.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 02:29:58 PM »
Horry Clap, Batman!

Someone get Jamis over there to make sure no pig crashes into another one.

stay safe.

Don't get too excited. Apparently it's going back for a vote again and if it gets a 2/3 majority, they're back to banning.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 03:54:36 PM »
Clearly, the way to eliminate all offensive and oppressive everything is for all humans to stop communicating, stop living and just die off.

Then we'll all be dead and nobody's feelings will get hurt.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 04:37:13 PM »
Clearly, the way to eliminate all offensive and oppressive everything is for all humans to stop communicating, stop living and just die off.

Then we'll all be dead and nobody's feelings will get hurt.
Your post suggests that ghosts don't have feelings...you shitlord.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 05:45:46 PM »
Your post suggests that ghosts don't have feelings...you shitlord.

no I am not.

I am a woman, ergo, I cannot be a shitlord. :P
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 06:47:11 PM »
no I am not.

I am a woman, ergo, I cannot be a shitlord. :P

Shitlady, then?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 10:31:41 PM »
Flag ban reversed:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/03/08/uc-irvine-reverses-american-flag-ban/?intcmp=latestnews

On March 3, student legislator Matthew Guevara authored a bill to remove the American flag, along with all other flags, from the lobby of a campus building housing their offices.

Gee. With a name like that, I wonder where he's from. Someone should remind (or inform) Mr. Guevara that Spain (and, by extension, Mexico) was far more colonial and imperialistic than the U.S. ever was.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 11:18:18 AM »
I have never quite understood this argument.

When has the US actually behaved as a traditional colonial or imperial power? Pretty much every "place" the US had "taken" in the last 50 to 70 years outside of the Continental states has been given back to it's own people to govern more or less as they choose. Japan? Germany? Philippines? Korea? Some countries in South America? Even before that, the USA did not particularly take any country over as a colony nor acted as an empire to any country. We may have supported non ideal governments or corporate actions as a country, "imperial" and "colonial", not really so much according to the real definitions of those words.

Hawaii

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 12:17:19 PM »
I thought many of the first land owners are mainly who took over Hawaii.  It has been a while since I saw anything on that settlement.

Are there reservations on Hawaii?  Never looked at that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 02:03:43 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 09:06:03 PM »

stay safe.

Found a real good graphic on the interwebz today, for that condition.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.