Author Topic: They are getting closer. Faster, please.  (Read 1799 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
They are getting closer. Faster, please.
« on: March 07, 2015, 03:16:53 PM »
http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a14430/lockheed-martin-laser/

Lockheed-Martin's prototype laser weapon is called the Advanced Test High Energy Asset, or ATHENA, and this is what it can do. The 30-kilowatt laser fired at this pickup truck from more than a mile away during a recent test.

This was the first full field test of the weapon. Lockheed says the poor pickup was mounted on a platform with its engine running to simulate real-world conditions.

I'm going to mount mine of the forward lip of my tactical wheelbarrow.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: They are getting closer. Faster, please.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 03:24:57 PM »
I'll mount mine behind the grill of my Jeep, on the left side, and aimed slightly left of dead ahead. Woe be until the next scalawag who doesn't dip his high beams when he's coming at me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 09:45:26 PM »
birdman gave me the skinny in a conversation elsewhere. Raytheon is doing even better work with planar waveguides.

Lockheed-Martin has a better PR office.  ;) =(
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 11:41:13 PM »
Gee, no lead required.  <<<pun.  on purpose.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 06:47:19 AM »
I'll just keep waiting for this.  ;)

Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 01:24:35 PM »
Was it mounted on a shark? It wasn't mounted on a shark, was it? Call me when it is mounted on a shark.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 06:43:22 PM »
The article said the truck was left running, but it didn't say if the laser made it stop.  Based on the picture, it looks like it barely burned through the hood. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 11:54:45 PM »
I'll just keep waiting for this.  ;)

That'd be great for door-to-door salesmen.....

"Is it on stun, or disintegrate? Which one...? Do you feel lucky, punk? Well, do you? "
 :old:
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 08:53:10 AM »
The article said the truck was left running, but it didn't say if the laser made it stop.  Based on the picture, it looks like it barely burned through the hood. 

It says it disabled the engine.  Altough the "Softer target area" would be behind the windsheild.  Wonder how it works on those or it the glass refracts the beam?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 09:23:08 AM »
It says it disabled the engine.  Altough the "Softer target area" would be behind the windsheild.  Wonder how it works on those or it the glass refracts the beam?
Also, how long did it take to do it?  How long does it need to stay on target?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 02:05:59 PM »
"It says it disabled the engine.  Altough the "Softer target area" would be behind the windsheild.  Wonder how it works on those or it the glass refracts the beam?"

Yeah, I can see it now.  Cars with mirrors all over.  Instead of "reactive armor," you'd have "reflective armor."

Heh.  Or thousands of glass balls all over the vehicle to make it retroreflective.  "Take that, laser artillery guys!"

Terry

REFs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroreflector
http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-214944-Reflective-10-Ounce-Spray/dp/B000LNVC1M

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 04:10:25 PM »
Wonder what the wavelength is?

If it's a wavelength that the eye's lens and cornea are transparent to, there will probably be insanely restrictive ROE's being applied to the use of this weapon.

I can just imagine the JAG corps going after the operator if some terrorists are blinded by the lasers, either from the direct beam hitting them for a fraction of a millisecond or from scattered and reflected light . . . after all, they prosecute soldiers if they shoot back too much, so think of the fun they'll have hanging out some poor GI for injuring a terrorist.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 04:18:09 PM »
^ Good question.  Near red or IR would give better penetration of smoke and dust and clouds and such, but near-UV would transmit more energy?  Yes?  No?

Green?

CO2 laser? (Infrared.)  I watched a CO2 laser cutting molybdenum once.

Need help on that one.

REF:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide_laser
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 04:24:29 PM by 230RN »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 04:21:44 PM »
Umm... given the distopian future we appear to be headed for, do we REALLY want to cheer for drones with frickin' laser beams attached?

FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS!
(Interesting- autocorrect thinks "distopian" is "pianist"...)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 06:43:49 PM »
Wonder what the wavelength is?

If it's a wavelength that the eye's lens and cornea are transparent to, there will probably be insanely restrictive ROE's being applied to the use of this weapon.

I can just imagine the JAG corps going after the operator if some terrorists are blinded by the lasers, either from the direct beam hitting them for a fraction of a millisecond or from scattered and reflected light . . . after all, they prosecute soldiers if they shoot back too much, so think of the fun they'll have hanging out some poor GI for injuring a terrorist.

Its Yb fiber, so 1.05um.
As for the rest, its more complex than that, but the general rule is, if its not face-safe, it doesn't matter that its not eye-safe.  Basically, kill them and it doesn't matter if on-the-way you blinded them.