Author Topic: Road rage, dealing with. Avoiding the stupid, how to.  (Read 7690 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Road rage, dealing with. Avoiding the stupid, how to.
« on: March 11, 2015, 10:11:15 AM »
http://blog.robballen.com/Post/25626/things-to-avoid-while-armed

I was driving somewhere on Saturday that required the use of the highway. Traffic was a bit heavy as people were trying to get onto I4 to go to the Strawberry Festival, but the left lanes were clear.

Until this jackass pulled out of the slow lanes to try to get 2 cars ahead and comes to a dead stop.

He got the horn, I got the finger – and then he went full road rage.

This guy pulled out of line, missed his turn intentionally, and started chasing me. In my rearview I could see him signaling for me to pull over (along with various other hand gestures that wouldn’t be welcomed in church). If I changed lanes, he changed lanes. He was waving his phone around then made a call, like he was calling the cops or something, but all I know was that he had lost his mind and I was going to be in a bad situation should he decide to follow me to my actual destination.

Pretty much standard stuff so far.  Worth reading again, tho.

My exit was miles away, so I didn’t feel the need to call the cops yet, but that was my plan.

I respectfully disagree.  Even in The Big City it takes a while to get the cops notified, figure out an intercept vector, and actually arrive in time to do something more than preserve evidence.  Besides, they are always telling us to call them if we see trouble.  Call early.  If your call gets dropped call again.

Plus, who knows if he was armed.

This is where I almost popped a gasket.  First, the enraged driver is armed.  He's got a several-million grain projectile.  Second, too many times we have read about enraged drivers who exited that several-million grain projectile and brought with them some other means of deadly force.

I'm always going to consider a driver engaged in road rage as armed.  I'll do my best to avoid a face-to-face confrontation but until his gas tank runs dry he's considered armed and dangerous.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Road rage, dealing with. Avoiding the stupid, how to.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 10:22:40 AM »
People are frequently emotionally attached to the several thousand dollar "projectile" and aren't likely to willingly damage it, even while enraged.

Bullets are less expensive.

Chris

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 10:44:12 AM »
I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating: on those rare occasions when some idiot takes enough exception to what he imagines I did on the road to set off his road rage, I don't escalate things; if possible, I shrug, smile, wave, and let the <expletive> think I'm apologizing. Up to this point, it's worked - he gets to drive off thinking he's Alpha Male King of the Road, and I don't have to shoot anyone. Good outcome in my book.

And if there's anything to the idea of karma, eventually he's going to run into someone just as hotheaded as he is - and the odds are, he's not going to be very pleased with the ultimate outcome.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 11:01:12 AM »
My only experience with road rage had me exacerbating the situation.

A car sat at a green light (after turning from red) for 3-5 seconds. I wasn't angry, but clearly he wasn't watching the light so I tapped the horn to get his attention on the light.

After making the left turn, he pulls into the middle lane and slows down, shaking his fist and shouting at me. Unable to believe someone flipped out about a beep on the horn, I did what came natural. I laughed. He then proceeded to try to merge into me.

As I was taking the exit to the right, anyway, I just proceeded on my way. My parents and (soon-to-be) wife were in the car and were just as incredulous as I.

Apparently it takes almost nothing to set some people off.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 11:30:53 AM »
People are frequently emotionally attached to the several thousand dollar "projectile" and aren't likely to willingly damage it, even while enraged.

Which is why I like my $700 Saturn with light to moderate damage on pretty much every body panel; they know intimidation tactics aren't going to work because I don't care about my paint.  They also figure out pretty quickly that there's no way the damage to their vehicle won't cost more than the damage to mine.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 11:33:03 AM »
Apparently it takes almost nothing to set some people off.

Years ago, I was driving home in rush hour traffic and not going anywhere fast.  I had been sitting still for a while when some guy in a truck behind me starts yelling and gesticulating at me, then pulls around to my side via the turn lane, and starts hurling insults and threats for no apparent reason.  Once he got it out of his system, he pulls a U-turn and heads off in the opposite direction.

I wasn't holding him up, the traffic was stopped.  I had no offensive stickers or such on my car, nor was my car particularly attention-getting (dark green Camry).  I was the very model of a middle-aged "grey man".  I still don't have a clue what it was about.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 11:55:39 AM »

I still don't have a clue what it was about.

Chris

The longer I work in healthcare, the more convinced I am, based on what I see in my clinics, is how many people have anger management and/or psychiatric illnesses.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 12:51:49 PM »
Years ago, at a city intersection, I made a right turn on a red, when all traffic was stopped, before the opposing traffic light turned green.  Then the light turned green and a guy pulled up on my right at the next light,honking and yelling, and I made a "what's up?" "sorry I offended you" sort of shrug. He kept screaming and ranting. He was pulling and pushing on his cars steering wheel so hard he was bending it, I expected to see it come off in his hands. Then his antics became so over the top I started laughing.  Then he really got going, actual foam was coming out of his  mouth, along with the words "I am going to kill you, you want to get shot?! And other words.
 I stopped laughing then and started planning. It is really odd how quickly one can think with the right stimulus.

Millcreek is right- I think there are a lot of people out there just sort of hanging on, with a huge internal problem, and any perceived  slight, is enough to give them an excuse to erupt. They can't afford to let it out to their boss, or their wife, or anyone else they know, and it builds and builds , and any stranger becomes fair game, and  in their car they feel anonymous enough to let go. After the rage takes over for a couple of seconds,, they are so pumped with adrenaline they will do anything.
I feel sorry for them, seriously- I have met a few mentally ill people and it is the worst of afflictions.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 01:06:41 PM »
So glad I drive a POS, 1993 Ford F-150.  Damage to my truck is pennies compared to the damage you will do you your vehicle.  Plus it helps that people think I'm crazy because 90% of the time I drive around with my drivers side window down, even in sub-freezing weather.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 01:20:30 PM »
I've learned to shrug off a-hole drivers, I see a rager at least once a week. Its gotten even worse since I bought a car that is typically stereotyped as a 'liberal's car.' I used to give a 'happy retard wave' to people who gave me the finger because it almost always enrages them more, but I don't even bother doing that anymore.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 01:29:31 PM »
Road raging females are the worst. A male can meet mr tire iron but no matter what a guy looks bad cleaning a females clock. I had one follow me mikes and a quarter mile up a driveway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 02:21:05 PM »
Road raging females are the worst. A male can meet mr tire iron but no matter what a guy looks bad cleaning a females clock. I had one follow me mikes and a quarter mile up a driveway

How bad did you beat her once you had her out of public view?

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 02:27:57 PM »
The quater mile if driveway belonged to the county sheriff. He came out in his pj's and seemed to have it well in hand as i left. He did not tip me at xmas however

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 04:42:19 PM »
The quater mile if driveway belonged to the county sheriff. He came out in his pj's and seemed to have it well in hand as i left. He did not tip me at xmas however

So, officially, she beat herself unconscious *and* gave herself an over-the-head atomic wedgie?

I've seen more creative reports.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 05:31:39 PM »
I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating: on those rare occasions when some idiot takes enough exception to what he imagines I did on the road to set off his road rage, I don't escalate things; if possible, I shrug, smile, wave, and let the <expletive> think I'm apologizing. Up to this point, it's worked - he gets to drive off thinking he's Alpha Male King of the Road, and I don't have to shoot anyone. Good outcome in my book.

And if there's anything to the idea of karma, eventually he's going to run into someone just as hotheaded as he is - and the odds are, he's not going to be very pleased with the ultimate outcome.
I agree that smiling and waving is usually the best plan.  It either disarms the situation or they go away knowing they didn't upset you as much as they were.  If the idiot tries to make some sort of claim to police that you did something, you want to be able to say no with a straight face. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 05:32:51 PM »
She was a large woman. I was way outclassed. He had her at gun point when i left and his wife was backing him up from the porch while they waited for backup.

If it got physical it woulda been good pay per view.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 05:37:59 PM »
Were you going there anyway?  Or did you just know him?  Also, did you get out?  Just curious about the story.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 05:57:35 PM »
She was a large woman. I was way outclassed.

The bigger they are, the more satisfying that squishy crunch of a knee bending sideways sounds.

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 08:00:55 PM »
Were you going there anyway?  Or did you just know him?  Also, did you get out?  Just curious about the story.
I deliver his newspaper I called ahead to warn him I was coming. He's got a sense of humor. I told him I had good news and bad news. Good news was I was gonna deliver his paper right to his porch, the bad I had a crazy lady following me. He said something religious about my mom and was waiting. He had 3 or 4 mins lead time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 08:22:44 PM »
The bigger they are, the more satisfying that squishy crunch of a knee bending sideways sounds.

Amen.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 09:02:57 PM »
shrug, smile, wave, and let the <expletive> think I'm apologizing[/quote

I don't know if I'd even do that. These nuts can be set off by anything.

the more convinced I am, based on what I see in my clinics, is how many people have anger management and/or psychiatric illnesses.

The amount of nuts out there is truly amazing.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 07:22:37 AM »
It wasn't road rage per se, but I had a guy flip out on me after a very minor fender bender. It happened literally 100 feet from my town police department, so I pulled into the parking lot to exchange insurance info.

The other driver blocked me in and accused me of attempting to flee the scene of the accident. I calmly pointed out that while there is no shortage of dumb criminals in the world, this would take the cake. He refused to give me his insurance info until the cop arrived (there is typically only one cop on duty and it took him 40 minutes to arrive). He told the cop he wanted me arrested, the officer chewed him out for being an idiot and wasting his time. The damage to both vehicles was cosmetic.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

brimic

• friends

Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 09:31:18 AM »
I'll admit I've got a little bit of a hot head driving.  It boils over quick though, maybe it's just a quick outlet.  I don't have much patience for stupid people.  But that's a horn or a finger.  Not a good idea, I know.  Some people can't help but not drive off after that and will escalate. 
The dumb one was once tossing the contents of a full soda out the window while being tailgated.  Completely smothering the offenders window.
A woman.  She lost her *expletive deleted*it and did the pass and squat for a few miles. 

What I don't get is the green light honk rage. It's green.  You're looking at your phone.  I can see you looking at your phone.  You get a horn tap, and flip out?
I wave if I miss the light changing and get the beep.  And my first reaction to a beep is to....LOOK AT THE LIGHT AND SEE IF IT CHANGED. Not flip the person off behind me.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 10:26:57 AM »
What I don't get is the green light honk rage. It's green.  You're looking at your phone.  I can see you looking at your phone.  You get a horn tap, and flip out?
I wave if I miss the light changing and get the beep.  And my first reaction to a beep is to....LOOK AT THE LIGHT AND SEE IF IT CHANGED. Not flip the person off behind me.

I don't get the tension at the traffic light either. Taking an extra second or two to get through a light isn't going to cause the world to end. Even moreso with the local uninsured ghetto trash who think red lights entitle them to a 3 second grace period for speeding through an intersection at 3x the speed limit.
Last year I was in a right turn only lane at a red light. The cross traffic allowed a few gaps where I could have sped around the corner and got in, but I passed those up. The guy behind me started honking incessantly and I could hear profanities being yelled at me. What did I do? I put the car in park and waited for a green light, then shifted it back into drive and casually took the right turn. The guy pulled up next to me screaming out his window. His aneurism, not mine.

Barack Obama