Author Topic: Can it come back to life for a while?  (Read 1311 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Can it come back to life for a while?
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:26:24 PM »
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=47512.25 was closed for good and sufficient reason.  But it had a revival clause.

Is this worth reviving it?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/a14648/tank-delivers-pro-jeremy-clarkson-petition-to-bbc-video/

Blogger Guido Fawkes' online petition to "save" Jeremy Clarkson reached its goal of a million signatures, and to mark the occasion, they were ceremoniously delivered to the BBC in a rented tank, complete with a "Stig" posed atop the turret.

Just when you thought the "fracas" couldn't get weirder...

Anyhow, the BBC will release the findings of its investigation next week and detail the next steps then.

A report also came out this week that said the BBC wanted to shoot and air the final episodes of this season with just May and Hammond in studio, but the pair refused to do so without Clarkson, in a show of solidarity.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Can it come back to life for a while?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 07:43:30 PM »
They are within their rights to sack him if the investigation turns up evidence he abused that producer. It might not make sense economically though.

If he did abuse that fellow and the penalty is very light or non-existent what does that say to all the other show staffers? That they too can be abused by the on-air talent? Real morale crusher there.

So if he did something they have to do something but taking the show off the air would be way too much.

On the other hand all three are all up for contract renewals so they might be perfectly happy to move on and work for another media company. Of course they would lose access to all their film and research and IP they've collected to date. All the things that have become beloved parts of the show like Stig, the celebrities setting times on the track, the video of their trips all gone.

So they would be starting from scratch in a new studio, with new a new staff and no continuity, no connection with the past. That would be a hard thing to do and they are not young men anymore.

If I were a decision maker at the BBC I'd point out that it's in everyone's best interest for the show to continue but Clarkson (if the allegations are true) has to apologize, pay a hefty fine (a portion of which goes to the staffer) and agree that he will be filmed every second of every working day (sans bathroom trips) and that any new outburst of a physical sort will generate another, higher fine.

I think that would work out well for everyone.     
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 08:28:43 AM »
Make him a peer of the realm, and then it will all be OK.

British nobility has a long and proud history of the masters of the manor abusing their lessers.

This is a perfect teaching moment.

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 12:51:05 PM »
How long has this show been on the air?  I am thinking that producer knew what he was in for when he was hired.  But yeah, abusing the help is isn't so great.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 01:56:53 PM »
I take back some of the mean things I've said about England as of late. They delivered a million signatures to the BBC, in a FV433 Self-Propelled "Abbot" armored artillery vehicle. Only 105mm, but still...  Gotta say, regardless of one's opinion on this whole incident, I deeply applaud the British citizenry for the correct method of sending their government a message. With mechanized artillery.

BBC America is HQ'd in NYC. Shame. Be kinda nice to one up the UK with something heavier. Like a T-55 or whatnot.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 03:59:20 PM »
If they keep him the next time , and there will be a next time, that person can own them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 04:39:22 PM »
I'm not familiar with English civil law, so perhaps someone can enlighten me:  does Oisin Tymon have legal recourse such as suing Clarkson and/or the Beeb?  If the powers-that-be are smart, they're already waving a sizable cheque in front of him along with an "I promise not to sue" document.

Seems that Tymon could have a nice payday coming if he plays his cards right.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 04:42:58 PM »
So far it seems he just wants to keep job and show together. But he does have counsel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 05:24:23 PM »
I hate to say it; but if they were smart the three of them would move to a private network. Their worldwide audience is over 7 times what Oprah brings in, yet their combined payroll is around £5 million compared to her $75 million. I love the show and just hope it continues somewhere; but the BBC has been getting a hell of a deal.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 10:14:43 AM »
Just announced that Clarkson's contract won't be renewed.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 10:27:24 AM »
Just announced that Clarkson's contract won't be renewed.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 11:24:56 AM »
I hate to say it; but if they were smart the three of them would move to a private network. Their worldwide audience is over 7 times what Oprah brings in, yet their combined payroll is around £5 million compared to her $75 million. I love the show and just hope it continues somewhere; but the BBC has been getting a hell of a deal.

But Oprah owns the network, doesn't she?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 04:55:52 PM »
But Oprah owns the network, doesn't she?
Probably at least some of it.  The problem is that someone finagled the cable/satellite outfits to carry that channel so they get a small amount of money for every home that gets it.  It doesn't necessarily matter if anyone watches it.  At least, that is what I am learning looking at how the SEC channel and the LHN channel were set up.  I think that is why CNN and MSNBC can afford to pay anchors a lot of money even though their ratings suck.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 05:44:21 PM »
Probably at least some of it.  The problem is that someone finagled the cable/satellite outfits to carry that channel so they get a small amount of money for every home that gets it.  It doesn't necessarily matter if anyone watches it.  At least, that is what I am learning looking at how the SEC channel and the LHN channel were set up.  I think that is why CNN and MSNBC can afford to pay anchors a lot of money even though their ratings suck.

Which is why you have to order "packages" of networks and not subscribe/order ala carte.   It's bad enough that you have to pay for it, it's even worse when you then have to watch commercials on what you have already paid for.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.