Author Topic: Grammar nazis wanted  (Read 4019 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Grammar nazis wanted
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 10:20:13 AM »
"And mike, lingual evolution is one thing, but the "over house"/"over to house" thing isn't exactly a good direction for evolution. Language should aid communication, not screw it up."

You can go to pretty much any time period in history and make the exact same argument about changes that were then taking place, changes that we now consider to be correct, proper English. There are some who consider any evolutionary change in a language (I think most of them post here, actually, and a few other places I frequent) as a Godless conspiracy involving Satan, George Soros, Barak Obama (or whatever convenient Democrat is at hand) and Santa Claus.

"It happens that in my career field (software development) a solid grounding in one's native grammar is one of the most valuable assets to be had for aspirants to the field."

I've always found that a background in musicology is even better.

Some years ago (starting in the 1940s, I believe) a professor (and I'll be damned if I can remember his name) attempted to compile a complete set of rules for the English language - grammar, structure, word usage, etc.

When he died over 40 years later he wasn't finished and he had over 7,000 pages.

In many ways, English, because of its polyglot nature, is the most fluid and adaptable of all of the world's languages.

As for "guys," that's a whole different subject. It is, some would say (or scream, actually), an example of the sexually repressive language used by a male dominated society to repress and belittle the uteroamerican population.

OK, enough of that *expletive deleted*it.

Using a masculine term such as guys when referring to a mixed gender group, or even a group of the opposite gender, has been an accepted nuance of the English language for at least 500 years. It's only within the last 50 years, with the rise of the feminist movement, that you get into the silliness upon which I expounded in my previous paragraph.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:25:35 AM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 10:53:46 AM »
The best news reporter gaffe I've ever seen was a blond anchor reporting about a chemical spill.
She said "there were a number of people overfumed with... I mean overcome with fumes" She had a big smirk on her face from catching herself from saying something else.
 :rofl:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 06:39:47 PM »
Oh, that's easy.  If you spell words based on sound, you are a Phoenician.

A famous English-speaker dude (Samuel Johnson? Ben Johnson? Don't remember. The Internet attributes it to Mark Twain, but I'm fairly certain I've previously seen it attributed to someone who died long before Samuel Clements was born) once said, “Anyone who can only think of one way to spell a word obviously lacks imagination.”
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 06:41:59 PM »
She said "there were a number of people overfumed with... I mean overcome with fumes"

Well, that's what they get for consorting with fumes.

Do you reckon the lovely lass might have meant "overcome BY fumes"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 07:52:43 PM »
A famous English-speaker dude (Samuel Johnson? Ben Johnson? Don't remember. The Internet attributes it to Mark Twain, but I'm fairly certain I've previously seen it attributed to someone who died long before Samuel Clements was born) once said, “Anyone who can only think of one way to spell a word obviously lacks imagination.”

Clemens.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 08:34:34 PM »

I think he's right, rite, write, wright...?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2012, 09:08:56 PM »

Andrew Jackson ...?  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 12:04:59 AM »

Did you mean the English-speaking cowboy?....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Johnson_(actor)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 01:53:31 PM »
When did "gift" become a verb, and what happened to "give"?

The OED has citations back to 1480.

While I am with you on the loan vs lend concept, loan has apparently been used as a verb for a mere eight centuries or so. *sigh*
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:46:51 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!