Author Topic: How to Pimp Chelsea, Episode II (or III)  (Read 14103 times)

mek42

Re: How to Pimp Chelsea, Episode II (or III)
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2008, 04:19:05 PM »
It does seem like you are strongly implying that "homosexual hangouts" are less respectable places than heterosexual hangouts.

I think politicians personal lives get too much media coverage these days.  Far, far too much.

Almost makes you think we'd be better back in the days when Joe Public didn't have the foggiest idea that President Roosevelt had polio and was in a wheelchair a great deal of the time.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2008, 07:11:40 PM »
It does seem like you are strongly implying that "homosexual hangouts" are less respectable places than heterosexual hangouts.

By and large, yes.  I certainly hope that point was clear enough. 

When I said, "except perhaps closing them [gay bars] down," I was in no way endorsing such a step.  I was instead describing the range of reasonable attitudes a politician might have to a gay bar.  While I wouldn't support any effort to close gay clubs, it would at least be understandable.  Sending your daughter into one to campaign for you?  Not so much. 

I agree to some extent about our knowledge of politicians' private lives.  If Abe Lincoln had a flair for interior decoration, he at least had the decency to respect others' moral disapproval.  In today's environment, he would have had a coming out press conference in the Rose Garden, then insisted that we all "accept him for who he is." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2008, 04:37:19 AM »
Interviewer asked a direct question and the interviewee immediately turned it around into an attack on Republicans.
Kind of like what happens around here all the time. sad
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

mek42

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2008, 06:53:49 AM »
fistful - Would you go so far as to say that the only reasonable reason a politician should be connected to bars in general is to close them? 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2008, 08:43:45 AM »
fistful - Would you go so far as to say that the only reasonable reason a politician should be connected to bars in general is to close them? 

Or placed behind them.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mek42

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2008, 12:32:25 PM »
That was a good one - accountability for politicians.  LOL

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2008, 12:55:52 PM »
mek, are you wondering if I'm a heterosexist?  I most certainly am.   smiley  No need to tip-toe around things.  I am indeed saying that a gay bar should reasonably have a social stigma, far beyond that of other bars.  Because homosexuality should have a great deal of stigma and shame connected with it.  Is that clear enough? 

mek42

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2008, 06:52:42 PM »
May I ask why you think this?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2008, 06:05:21 AM »
May I ask why you want to know?  Really, why did this thread become an examination of my point of view toward homosexuality? 

May I ask why you think this?
Response II:

Why wouldn't I?  Why has acceptance of homosexuality become the default position, or the more enlightened one?  It has historically not been regarded as the equal of heterosexuality.  Why should that change now?  Obviously, we have to change our minds from time to time, but why should I change my mind on this?