Author Topic: Just 40 co-sponsors and a push for Obama  (Read 1573 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Just 40 co-sponsors and a push for Obama
« on: January 20, 2011, 04:27:47 PM »
A push for Obama to drop the gun control bomb during the State of the Union address.

But gun control groups most of all want Obama’s endorsement of the bill introduced this week by Democratic Rep. Carolyn McCarthy of New York (with more than 40 co-sponsors so far). That bill would ban the sale or transfer of high-capacity gun magazines such as the one allegedly used by Jared L. Loughner to fire off more than 30 rounds. So far, the proposal (and a companion bill to be introduced next week by Democratic Sen. Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey) has yet to pick up a single Republican co-sponsor.

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/19/5878586-will-obama-mention-gun-control-in-his-state-of-the-union

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Just 40 co-sponsors and a push for Obama
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 06:20:50 PM »
My opinion of Cheney just dropped about 10,000 feet.

I still think Obama's going to stay far away from gun control, though. Cheney doesn't have to face re-election.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 07:42:10 PM »
FUDD!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 07:46:05 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 12:30:03 AM »
We need to let our reps know that anything less than strong, straight forward and vocal opposition to any new gun control legislation as a knee jerk to what happened in Tuscon WILL cost them votes, hopefully enough to lose their seat.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 06:51:04 AM »
So wait.

The man who collects automatic weapons is now a gun-control advocate?
Seriously now? What the hell?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 07:22:20 AM »
Well..  clearly Cheney is better able to responsibly handle firearms than the rest of us right?  right?   ;)

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 07:34:14 AM »
So wait.

IIRC, Diane Fienstien has a CCW permit, and Josh Sugarman has an FFL (although I think he only has it for "opposition research").

There a lot of gun control advocates who have "only ones" syndrome. 

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 10:48:11 AM »
So wait.

MB, lots of extremely anti-gun folks own firearms.  They simply don't want OTHERS to have firearms.  Virtually every firearm law never bans anything.  The point is to raise the price so it is prohibitive to the average person, but the Proper Classes can get whatever they please.

There's a reason that FDR put a $200 tax on a $5 shotgun.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.