Author Topic: Unintended (?) consequences of subsidization  (Read 3031 times)

zahc

• friend
Unintended (?) consequences of subsidization
« on: November 22, 2013, 05:27:55 PM »
An article explaining the serious failure (?) of Germany's "clean energy initiative". When I was in grad school about 4 years ago, solar technology was a big thing, and Germany was the poster child for clean energy policy. Manifested, of course, in the form of "energy policy" i.e. government subsidies, mandates and other market manipulations.

http://www.quora.com/Alternative-Energy/Should-other-nations-follow-Germanys-lead-on-promoting-solar-power-1?srid=ue54&share=1

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

drewtam

• friend
Re: Unintended (?) consequences of subsidization
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 07:19:17 PM »
The comments give me a headache from the level of head in the sand obtuseness.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 04:22:11 AM »
But what should be evident to consumers TODAY that just as the cost of semiconductor computer processors has decreased, in REAL terms, with mass production, the cost of solar cells will also decrease. And these consumers can also see TODAY the solar cells that are already economic, without a subsidy.

I think this is the primary technological misunderstanding of this century, either explicitly or hidden behind other magical thinking by the technologically ignorant. The development of the integrated circuit has practically nothing in common with any other technology. Other technologies are enabled by cheap integrated circuits and thus ride the wave of progress to that extent, but that extent only.

Nobody is ever, no matter what, going to invent a solar cell that is substantially better than what we have now. There is a fixed amount of solar energy per square meter. even a magical 100% efficient, laws-of-thermodynamics-breaking solar cell would not be a factor of 3 better than what we have now. Engineering is hard; it is not a matter finding ways to print more patterns on silicon, and there is absolutely no reason to expect magical gains except through discovery and development of new materials, which is expensive, subject to random breakthroughs rather than straightforward evolution toward a known goal, and has strict upper bounds, which are clearly in sight, on the amount of improvement possible.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 05:35:21 AM »
Nobody is ever, no matter what, going to invent a solar cell that is substantially better than what we have now.

We don't need them to be 'better' in the efficiency sense.  We need them better in the 'cheaper' sense.  That's where most of the work is; it's just that a solar cell that's 10% more efficient is effectively 10% cheaper.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 08:23:59 AM »
We don't need them to be 'better' in the efficiency sense.  We need them better in the 'cheaper' sense.  That's where most of the work is; it's just that a solar cell that's 10% more efficient is effectively 10% cheaper.

Cheaper is important, but also a cheap solar cell that can be embedded in the shingles and easily tied in to the system is a significant improvement over - well - one that can't.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 08:43:34 AM »
I think this is the primary technological misunderstanding of this century, either explicitly or hidden behind other magical thinking by the technologically ignorant. The development of the integrated circuit has practically nothing in common with any other technology. Other technologies are enabled by cheap integrated circuits and thus ride the wave of progress to that extent, but that extent only.

Nobody is ever, no matter what, going to invent a solar cell that is substantially better than what we have now. There is a fixed amount of solar energy per square meter. even a magical 100% efficient, laws-of-thermodynamics-breaking solar cell would not be a factor of 3 better than what we have now. Engineering is hard; it is not a matter finding ways to print more patterns on silicon, and there is absolutely no reason to expect magical gains except through discovery and development of new materials, which is expensive, subject to random breakthroughs rather than straightforward evolution toward a known goal, and has strict upper bounds, which are clearly in sight, on the amount of improvement possible.

This plus eleventy.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 09:50:13 AM »

My point stands. Integrated circuits have gotten more capable AND cheaper, to the point where transistors now cost nano-dollars. If you take the cheapest possible material that holds together, say, OSB, it's still not cheaper than existing solar cells by an amount comparable to a few years of what Moore's law did to integrated circuits. Physics sucks. There will be no orders-of-magnitude improvements, even if someone figures out how to make plywood into theroretically-perfect solar cells for free.
--Tallpine

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 10:11:53 AM »

Here is an excellent article on German's "green power" problems : http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/high-costs-and-errors-of-german-transition-to-renewable-energy-a-920288.html

Basically, in Germany, electricity prices have doubled. Two-thirds of the price hike is due to new government fees, surcharges and taxes to cover green energy. Welfare and pensions haven't increased to cover it. This is causing problems and a lot of shutoffs. The politicians and environmentalists plan to deal with it is to ignore the situation, and hope it goes away.

Because of the unpredictability of wind/solar, it's really messing with the economics of all other parts of Germany's grid. Pumped storage hydroelectric plants are really being screwed with, and that's REALLY bad.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 10:34:15 AM »
^^^ That was an absolutely fascinating article about German energy policy. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 12:38:34 PM »
Those plucky Germans.  They just can't seem to keep from reverting to fascism.  I'm sure the DPTB (Deutchepauerthatbie) would be outraged to be described as such.  But what else can you call government control of private business and industry?

On the broader topic, what is with these bedwetting, nanny-state euroweenies?  Can they not, for one flipping minute, give up on the idea that the omniscient, omnipresent state must control everything?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 12:55:15 PM »
Those plucky Germans.  They just can't seem to keep from reverting to fascism.  I'm sure the DPTB (Deutchepauerthatbie) would be outraged to be described as such.  But what else can you call government control of private business and industry?

On the broader topic, what is with these bedwetting, nanny-state euroweenies?  Can they not, for one flipping minute, give up on the idea that the omniscient, omnipresent state must control everything?

Systematically undermine religion and other value systems which explain and give order to the universe, and you're left with existentialist abstraction and meaningless, powerless individuals. Very few humans have the discipline to operate within that limited framework. The natural result is that something has to fill the resulting void. The State as mother/father/deity/master seems the obvious result.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 01:03:59 PM »
Systematically undermine religion and other value systems which explain and give order to the universe, and you're left with existentialist abstraction and meaningless, powerless individuals. Very few humans have the discipline to operate within that limited framework. The natural result is that something has to fill the resulting void. The State as mother/father/deity/master seems the obvious result.

Huh, I find human adulthood empowering myself . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 01:56:33 PM »

Back a few hundred years, the Church was pretty big on that omniscient, omnipresent state that must control everything  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 02:32:17 PM »
Back a few hundred years, the Church was pretty big on that omniscient, omnipresent state that must control everything  =(

No, no, it wasn't. (And I'm no fan of the Catholic Church.)

It did like a powerful state, but pretty clearly most individuals lived their lives outside the influence of the King/Queen and even out of the influence of the aristocracy. That cannot be said for the modern omnipresent state.

That is not to say people were left alone, but rarely did a king, prince, baron, or lord make stipulations about the day to day life of the peasantry. Try to spend one hour outside of the influence of the state, today.

(Has your horse crossed state lines? Did it get its vaccinations? Did you coffee pot pass government safety inspections? Even those of your out west cannot get beyond the omnipresent state.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 02:41:32 PM »
Huh, I find human adulthood empowering myself . . .

You'd be the stated exception. I posit that President Obama's re/election is merely one point suggesting many people, if not most, want someone else shining light on the darkness for them.

Back a few hundred years, the Church was pretty big on that omniscient, omnipresent state that must control everything  =(

I'm not suggesting we've devolved down from perfection, simply answering Hutch's question. There was also often a distinct tension between church and state, which caused people to ask questions. Between the long-term exodus of the freedom-seeking, and the slaughter of the first half of the 20th Century, who is left to challenge the primacy of The State, and what credible arguments can they make?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch