Author Topic: Gifted Program Cut, Not Diverse Enough  (Read 5906 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Gifted Program Cut, Not Diverse Enough
« on: January 30, 2014, 08:21:01 PM »
NYC gifted program shut down because the demographic makeup did not meet diversity quotas.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/30/nyc-school-cuts-popular-gifted-program-over-lack-d/

griz

• friend
Re: Gifted Program Cut, Not Diverse Enough
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 07:41:17 AM »
Gifted pre-kindergardeners?  How did they determine that?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 08:51:05 AM »

I don't know what means they used, but I believe IQ is discernible at a young age.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Re: Gifted Program Cut, Not Diverse Enough
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »

Dude you have no idea the byzantine rules and system smart or affluent parents with kids in nyc navigate to get their kids in good public schools.  Truly a conspiracy of the smart and prepared versus regular schlubs.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 11:24:47 AM »
I thought that there were plenty of private schools in NYC for the affluent  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »

My 4 year old reads at what the average dim bulb considers a third grade or higher level.  Honestly, my parents and grandparents considered it about right for a pre-K, but standards have to be lowered to keep from hurting anybody's feelings, then as people barely live up to the standards, the cycle repeats.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Gifted Program Cut, Not Diverse Enough
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 01:30:08 PM »
My 4 year old reads at what the average dim bulb considers a third grade or higher level.  Honestly, my parents and grandparents considered it about right for a pre-K, but standards have to be lowered to keep from hurting anybody's feelings, then as people barely live up to the standards, the cycle repeats.

BiNGO!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 01:38:14 PM »

^^ This.  I was taught to read the alphabet at age 3, was reading The Hobbit by age 6, and Stephen King by age 10.  Maybe not age-appropriate, but reading skills well above those of my peers in kindergarten.  I was invited several times to join advanced placement programs and did them for a little while (while I was still an idiot impressionable kid from kindergarten through about 3rd grade), but bailed on them when I decided I didn't like the additional mandatory classwork on top of the standard course homework.

The parents that put their kids into programs like this make a time investment early on in the preschool years to cultivate a voracious mind, and that mind NEEDS to be fed once its appetite is woken up.  Some people need the menu handed to them and do well in structured advanced coursework where the subject material is chosen for them, and other people apply that energy other more independent ways.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 01:38:54 PM »
I thought that there were plenty of private schools in NYC for the affluent  ???

Why should they pay for education if they can work the system, jump through the wickets, and get their kids an education on someone else's dime?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 01:49:43 PM »
^^ This.  I was taught to read the alphabet at age 3, was reading The Hobbit by age 6, and Stephen King by age 10.  Maybe not age-appropriate, but reading skills well above those of my peers in kindergarten.

Then how did you end up still stuck in kindergarten at 10?   :P

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 01:55:25 PM »
Why should they pay for education if they can work the system, jump through the wickets, and get their kids an education on someone else's dime? using the tax money already taken from them?

Fixed for slightly less hyperbole and more accuracy.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 02:12:05 PM »
Fixed for slightly less hyperbole and more accuracy.

Only slightly more accurate, given the cost/pupil in NYC gov't schools.  Yes, they get back some of their taxes, but they runs out pretty damned quick and from then on it is other taxpayers' dollars.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 02:25:28 PM »
^^ This.  I was taught to read the alphabet at age 3, was reading The Hobbit by age 6, and Stephen King by age 10.  Maybe not age-appropriate, but reading skills well above those of my peers in kindergarten.  I was invited several times to join advanced placement programs and did them for a little while (while I was still an idiot impressionable kid from kindergarten through about 3rd grade), but bailed on them when I decided I didn't like the additional mandatory classwork on top of the standard course homework.

The parents that put their kids into programs like this make a time investment early on in the preschool years to cultivate a voracious mind, and that mind NEEDS to be fed once its appetite is woken up.  Some people need the menu handed to them and do well in structured advanced coursework where the subject material is chosen for them, and other people apply that energy other more independent ways.

Basically, the same here.

It was total AGONY when the class had to read from a book out loud.  I enjoyed it, and got told to stop or slow down too often.  Then I had to listen to other kids sound out words.  It'd take forever just to get a paragraph out of some of them.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 02:34:15 PM »
Only slightly more accurate, given the cost/pupil in NYC gov't schools.  Yes, they get back some of their taxes, but they runs out pretty damned quick and from then on it is other taxpayers' dollars.

And last time I checked, the total school revenues per student came out to around $8500/student/year.  One of the private boarding schools we looked at was only $11k/student/year.  Basically, for only $2500/yr more than a public school education, that school could feed them two more meals, provide living quarters and handle their laundry.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 02:58:01 PM »
And last time I checked, the total school revenues per student came out to around $8500/student/year.  One of the private boarding schools we looked at was only $11k/student/year.  Basically, for only $2500/yr more than a public school education, that school could feed them two more meals, provide living quarters and handle their laundry.

At some of the larger urban districts, multiply $8500 by 2. 

Whoops, my bad:
Total education spending in the average New Jersey school district rose by 4.2 percent to $18,047 per pupil last year, but six districts spent more than $30,000 per student, according to the new Taxpayers’ Guide to Education Spending.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 03:47:07 PM »

I should have specified that mine was based on our local school district, and calculated when they were pushing for another tax increase.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 03:58:31 PM »
I remember that several years ago, a similar controversy arose from a gifted program run by the Seattle School District.  There were too many Asian kids in it, out of disproportion to their numbers in the student pool, and too few other ethnic groups in proportion to their numbers in the student pool.  I can't remember how it all ended.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 04:02:40 PM »

Whoops, my bad:

Just think, if the parents were given vouchers for those amounts, what 10 of them together (or even one together) could do to educate their kids.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 04:09:37 PM »

It was total AGONY when the class had to read from a book out loud.  I enjoyed it, and got told to stop or slow down too often.  Then I had to listen to other kids sound out words.  It'd take forever just to get a paragraph out of some of them.

Sweet jesus I hated it when "read aloud" time came about in class. Taking 10-15 minutes to go down a page while all the nearly illiterate people in the class had their turn at bat was painful
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 04:28:17 PM »
Sweet jesus I hated it when "read aloud" time came about in class. Taking 10-15 minutes to go down a page while all the nearly illiterate people in the class had their turn at bat was painful

Try getting a couple of Lit&Comp credits out of the way at a community college.  Most of them couldn't have spelled GED, much less diploma.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 05:38:43 PM »

Yeah, end up reading the page again.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 07:26:36 PM »

When our girls were about 7-9, we had a weekly Bible study at our house.  It was embarrassing that they could sound out the multiple sylable Old Testament names, but many of the adults could not  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 07:37:13 PM »
When our girls were about 7-9, we had a weekly Bible study at our house.  It was embarrassing that they could sound out the multiple sylable Old Testament names, but many of the adults could not  :facepalm:

wish i was suprised
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 02:41:11 AM »

Heck, I have to do that same crap in Powerpoint briefings with ADULTS.  It's been my experience that solidly 60% of adults in america are functionally illiterate (as measured by being able to comprehend and retain ideas expressed in written words).

Side note:  Telling an O4 briefer that unlike the Bn S4 I'm literate so just email me the slides if all we're going to do is read them out loud will, in fact, require a trip to the Sergeant Major.  Just FYI.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 02:46:06 AM »
Heck, I have to do that same crap in Powerpoint briefings with ADULTS.  It's been my experience that solidly 60% of adults in america are functionally illiterate (as measured by being able to comprehend and retain ideas expressed in written words).

Side note:  Telling an O4 briefer that unlike the Bn S4 I'm literate so just email me the slides if all we're going to do is read them out loud will, in fact, require a trip to the Sergeant Major.  Just FYI.

I am so blessed that we don't have a projector at work. So blessed. I don't have to sit through hours and hours of power point lectures from the bosses.

God I hate powerpoint. When I do a presentation and I use powerpoint (rare these days, thankfully), I only use it to show photos, videos, graphs, maps, etc. I do not put the text up there to read aloud in a monotonous tone.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!