Author Topic: Gifted Program Cut, Not Diverse Enough  (Read 5907 times)

grampster

• friend
Re: Gifted Program Cut, Not Diverse Enough
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 07:40:48 AM »
I believe if the first couple years of school concentrated on teaching kids the ability to read and to understand what they are reading, the rest of their education would be a slam dunk.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 09:09:37 AM »
Grampster you are a heretic.
Dead right but a blasphemous purveyor of truth and logic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 10:25:46 AM »
I believe if the first couple years of school concentrated on teaching kids the ability to read and to understand what they are reading, the rest of their education would be a slam dunk.

Yeah, we taught our girls to read well and early and they pretty much educated themselves.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 10:48:57 AM »
. . . I was invited several times to join advanced placement programs and did them for a little while (while I was still an idiot impressionable kid from kindergarten through about 3rd grade), but bailed on them when I decided I didn't like the additional mandatory classwork on top of the standard course homework . . .
I went to a Catholic grammar school, and for a time they discussed a "gifted" program, when I was in about the 5th grade. They made it sound so rosy, telling us we'd get to take material as fast as we could learn it. BUT . . . when I asked whether or not we'd get to graduate sooner, assuming we learned the material - they got really upset. And they got REALLY angry with me when I asked why we should work so much harder for no reward. (No, you won't convince a young kid that "learning is it's own reward" when you're just demanding he work harder & faster than other kids while still holding him back in grade.) They "compromised" by segregating the kids - unofficially - into "smart" and "average" classrooms.

As for the original post regarding NYC axing its gifted program - I remember it was the NYC school system that told parents they should STOP their children from watching the then-new show, Sesame Street, since kids who watched it began school knowing too much. And years later, they told parents to keep their kids away from computers, since these newfangled machines gave kids with computer access an unfair advantage over other kids, which was considered a bad thing.

The schools in NYC appear to have a longstanding institutional bias against excellence.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 07:31:43 PM »

If you teach a kid those two things then they can educate themselves.

Can't have that *expletive deleted*it happening. No, we have to ensure that kids only become barely literate with no critical thinking skills and only teach them enough to pass a standardized test.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!