Author Topic: You know, I had doubts about all that militarization-of-police stuff...  (Read 6625 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: You know, I had doubts about all that militarization-of-police stuff...
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
  US soldiers in Baghdad can't even light up targets with a .50cal without some serious #### going on.  Too much. 

Source? 

They should have spent the money on sending every one of their officers to a patrol-carbine course.  That would be far more useful.

Agreed!

The APC actually makes sense.  After watching the North Hollywood bank shootout, those officers were able to save alot of lives with just an armored car.  However, the .50 is ridiculous overkill.  Why in the hell will they need a .50 Ma Deuce??  I can't think of any reason.  None. 

A tracked APC does not make sense unless the police know how to repair a thrown track in the field. Which I doubt.

Wheeled, the sort used as a riot-control vehicle, with a mount for a pepper spray nozzle OR an optional weapon to only be put on it if needed, that'd be better.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
tracks get you places wheels won't.  and i'm not sure why you might think they can't fix a thrown track. its not rocket science.

i think when they get these gifts from the federales they go for the max. and in some dhs inspired shtf scenario a 50 does it all. heck maybe some terrorist gets an armored car  and needs stopping

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Since we've now moved to the next level of militarization can we stop bellyaching about SWAT/ninja/tactical/uberugly/MP 48 souped up hand cannons and shoulder howitzers?  The mindset that justifies nonsense is much more dangerous than the hardware.  BTW, I live next to Leon's county.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
My unit many of us expended more rounds in training in one year per man than most departments provide in a LEO's career.
fixed.

Pffft.  You underestimate some of the folks on this board.  Some folks here probably fire more rounds in one range trip than an entire department's ammo budget for 50 years.

I am an analyst and tried to average it over all the unit members, some gun-nuts like me, some staff weenies who have to be dragged to the range to qual with their M9.  I don't know why we didn't kick those down the road and replace their soft-skilled azzes with infantry, like we did with most soft-skilled positions (except IT...thank God we had a highly-motivated PT stud keeping our 'puters happy).

US soldiers in Baghdad can't even light up targets with a .50cal without some serious #### going on.  Too much. 

Source? 

They should have spent the money on sending every one of their officers to a patrol-carbine course.  That would be far more useful.

Agreed!

The APC actually makes sense.  After watching the North Hollywood bank shootout, those officers were able to save alot of lives with just an armored car.  However, the .50 is ridiculous overkill.  Why in the hell will they need a .50 Ma Deuce??  I can't think of any reason.  None. 

A tracked APC does not make sense unless the police know how to repair a thrown track in the field. Which I doubt.

Wheeled, the sort used as a riot-control vehicle, with a mount for a pepper spray nozzle OR an optional weapon to only be put on it if needed, that'd be better.

The Marines I interviewed in April said something to the effect, "It now takes an act of Congress to get authorization to open up with the MK19."  The weapons company was not allowed to fire one mortar round in the 7 months of their deployment.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton