Author Topic: LATEST PALIN SCANDAL!!!!!  (Read 6618 times)

agricola

• friend
LATEST PALIN SCANDAL!!!!!
« on: September 17, 2008, 10:32:45 AM »
Some of you may have heard that Sarah Palin's email account was hacked last night.  What you may not know is that some of the contents are set to cause a further scandal - those of you who have supported Sarah Palin in the past may wish to NOT click on the images below, which show a shocking lack of judgement of someone who is clearly out of touch with all Americans:

http://blogs.artvoice.com/techvoice/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/family2.jpg
http://blogs.artvoice.com/techvoice/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/family1.jpg

(from http://blogs.artvoice.com/techvoice/2008/09/17/hackers-break-into-sarah-palins-inbox/ )

Of course, the use of a third party email system is almost certainly intended to conceal her nefarious activities from the kind of impartial, far-reaching and free from political bias investigation of the kind that can only really be delivered by an Obama-supporting Democrat who issues commentary on the result of the investigation some time before its actually finished.  This could allow her to steal the VP spot from Joe Biden and let her continue her book-banning ways. 

This is clearly and amply evidenced by her choice of not one but TWO disguise-style online personae with which to cheat, defraud and potentially de-Obamanize the Alaskan citizenry - gov.sarah@yahoo.com and the even more concealed gov.palin@yahoo.com.  She has also endeavoured to conceal her use of a third-party email system to communicate political business by brazenly and publicly admitting that she uses a third-party email system to communicate some political business!

She is allowed to keep e-mails confidential if they fall into certain categories, such as "deliberative process," said her press secretary, Bill McAllister.

And, he said later, she appropriately uses her personal Yahoo account for political activities.

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/091608/sta_333013278.shtml

With this latest scandal I fear I have no choice but to immediately and totally sever my allegiance to Governor Palin and back instead the Obama campaign, who are far more likely to hide their dodgy emails where noone is likely to be able to hack them.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: LATEST PALIN SCANDAL!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 10:43:55 AM »
W00t!

All ur email are belong to anonymoUS.

Must read MOAR.

Sauce?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

agricola

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 10:48:15 AM »
W00t!

All ur email are belong to anonymoUS.

Must read MOAR.

Sauce?

Its on Wikileaks, which is down since the story broke.  The link below the SHOCKING IMAGES contains most of what was on there.  They (Wikileaks) were saying they had all the emails and would release any which proved to be of political relevance - which either means they are conducting a bidding war (possible, they have done this before) or there isnt anything actually of relevance there (more likely, given the sizes of the inbox shown and the fact that nearly anyone would have wanted to scoot through the mails in the hope of finding a silver bullet before releasing it).

"Make peace, you fools"

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 11:01:48 AM »
*yawn*

Wake me up when something important happens.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 11:41:04 AM »
Sounds like the DU is up and running......chris3

agricola

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 05:10:40 AM »
"Make peace, you fools"

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 07:30:34 AM »

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 07:39:10 AM »
I noticed the bogus info about anonymous in the original story too.

I just laughed.

"Anonymous" isn't an illuminati cabal on 4chan looking to raise Ron Paul to American Emperor and then brainwash him into approving state-subsidized lolcatz pr0n.

Anonymous is a non-account posting on 4chan.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 09:13:35 AM »
Guy Fawkes masks are in stock at the local halloween store...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 09:34:55 AM »
Memo to US Secret Service: Net proxy may pinpoint Palin email hackers
Track this topic Print story Post comment
Not quite Anonymous
By Dan Goodin in San Francisco " Get more from this author
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/18/palin_email_investigation/
Posted in Security, 18th September 2008 01:22 GMT
Memo to law enforcement investigators tracking down who broke into Sarah Palin's Yahoo email account: Gabriel Ramuglia might be a good place to start.

The 25-year-old webmaster and entrepreneur is the operator of Ctunnel.com, the browsing proxy service used by the group that hacked into the vice presidential candidate's personal email account and exposed its contents to the world. While he has yet to examine his logs, he says there's a good chance they will lead to those responsible, thanks to some carelessness on their part.

"Usually, this sort of thing would be hard to track down because it's Yahoo email, and a lot of people use my service for that," he told El Reg in a phone interview. "Since they were dumb enough to post a full screenshot that showed most of the [Ctunnel.com] URL, I should be able to find that in my log."

Ramuglia got into the proxy business a few years ago, after schools began blocking access to an online game site he used to co-own. Pretty soon, people began using the proxy service to access YouTube, Gmail, MySpace, and dozens of other sites that are routinely blocked by IT departments.

To prevent abuse of the service - such as the occasional bomb threat or other illegal act that's been known to happen - Ramuglia logs each user's IP address, along with the time and web destination. That often isn't enough to track down people who access extremely popular websites. But in this case, the perpetrators included a whole string of random-looking characters when posting screenshots of Palin's hacked account. That will probably be enough for him to pinpoint the proverbial needle in the haystack.

The information at the moment is on a server at a Chicago colocation site owned by FDC Servers. Logs are automatically flushed after seven days, so the clock is ticking for law enforcement, who presumably are under intense pressure to protect the privacy of a candidate for the White House. Of course, there's always the possibility that Ctunnel.com was only one of multiple anonymization services the email hackers used to cover their tracks, but there's only one way to find out.

Ramuglia said if he is contacted by law enforcement officials he will probably give them the information they seek. At time of writing, he's received no inquiries from any law enforcement agencies, he said.

The breach of Palin's account "is pretty clearly against my terms of service," he said. "As exciting as it is to be in the news, this is not the type of activity I can encourage by any means."
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 11:13:18 AM »
Sounds good....until they find the IP address is a coffee shop in a big city....good luck from there.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 11:18:56 AM »
Sounds good....until they find the IP address is a coffee shop in a big city....good luck from there.....

Then you've got DHCP leases for that IP address which resolve to MAC addresses.

The first 6 characters of a MAC address tell you the make/model of the network adapter.

You go to the manufacturer and find the serial number of that adapter and where it was sold/installed.  Then go to newegg or Best Buy and pull the credit card receipt.  See where this goes?

Or, you just go to all the ISP's in the area and have them check their DHCP logs for the same MAC address.
--Lysander Spooner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 11:26:47 AM »
Then go to newegg or Best Buy and pull the credit card receipt.  See where this goes?

Or, you just go to all the ISP's in the area and have them check their DHCP logs for the same MAC address.

Then you find out the laptop and/or adaptor was bought used, with cash, or stolen. 

I also seem to remember there being ways to change or fake the MAC address, but that might have been with old adaptors that are not used in laptops or anywhere else for that matter.  That info is at least 10 years old now...

Chris

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 11:58:50 AM »
Then go to newegg or Best Buy and pull the credit card receipt.  See where this goes?

Then you find out the laptop and/or adaptor was bought used, with cash, or stolen. 

I also seem to remember there being ways to change or fake the MAC address, but that might have been with old adaptors that are not used in laptops or anywhere else for that matter.  That info is at least 10 years old now...

Chris

Changing the MAC address is still possible on some new cards

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 12:02:16 PM »
I also seem to remember there being ways to change or fake the MAC address, but that might have been with old adaptors that are not used in laptops or anywhere else for that matter.  That info is at least 10 years old now...

That implies a level of sophistication and forethought beyond that of most 4chan users.

Most are looking for their next batch of anime hentai so they can "fap lots."  

Mac address spoofing is very easy to do and most ISP's don't work around it, but if I spoof my wireless mac address to 00:11:22:33:44:55 at the coffee shop, go hack Mike Irwin's email, then go back home and use that same spoofed address from there, I'm gonna leave a trail.

If this guy trusted the 4chan community enough to dump his evidence and passwords there, he's a frickin' idiot.  Probably had his *member* in his hand and typing with the other hand during the whole thing, looking for pics of Palin wearing a bikini and holding an RPG or something equally obscurely vulgar.

Even if he bought with cash or a used computer secondhand, he's gonna probably use that same MAC address, even if spoofed, from somewhere more permanent and identifiable if he didn't do it in the first place from his mom's basement.  

While wearing his wookie suit.
--Lysander Spooner

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
MAC ID
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 12:23:25 PM »
If I'm posting from home, the only MAC ID you're gonna see is my top level router.

If I'm wandering the streets, the MAC ID will be the wireless broadband card I have through my cell provider.  Can't spoof that, or I suddenly get no more connection.

If I'm in a coffee shop, it's my (built-in) WiFi B card, and that doesn't spoof either.

Somewhere in a box at home I have a WiFi card that I could use exclusively for nefarious purposes, so long as I was careful not to over-use it.  It was purchased with cash in a city some 1,200 miles away where I haven't lived for five or six years.

The amount of premeditation it would take to leave no electronic footprints . . . yeah, I could do it . . . but it's a lot like work.

I'm thinking that some too-clever-by-half Dew-swilling attention-addicted wanker will not have taken the needed steps to insulate himself from the high-voltage discharge that will now follow his self-constructed lightning rod back to him.

I'd pay good money to be there when the bolt hits him.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: MAC ID
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 12:46:34 PM »
If I'm posting from home, the only MAC ID you're gonna see is my top level router.

If I'm wandering the streets, the MAC ID will be the wireless broadband card I have through my cell provider.  Can't spoof that, or I suddenly get no more connection.

If I'm in a coffee shop, it's my (built-in) WiFi B card, and that doesn't spoof either.

Somewhere in a box at home I have a WiFi card that I could use exclusively for nefarious purposes, so long as I was careful not to over-use it.  It was purchased with cash in a city some 1,200 miles away where I haven't lived for five or six years.

The amount of premeditation it would take to leave no electronic footprints . . . yeah, I could do it . . . but it's a lot like work.

I'm thinking that some too-clever-by-half Dew-swilling attention-addicted wanker will not have taken the needed steps to insulate himself from the high-voltage discharge that will now follow his self-constructed lightning rod back to him.

I'd pay good money to be there when the bolt hits him.

When your computer talks to your local router, it gets an IP address based upon its MAC address.  Your router is "mostly" capable of hiding the contents of your network, and all your public IP address gets submitted via Network Address Translation (NAT).

But, NAT does encapsulate the internal network IP of the requester into the packet headers.  Caches of this information can exist.  It can be separated out by people with the right type of knowledge.  Me?  Nope.  I'm a database and applications guy.  But a Cisco or telecom jockey could do it.

BTW, turn on your laptop, right click on the wireless NIC, go to properties.  Hit the "configure" button.  You can probably find MAC address imitation (or some other similar wording) in there.

ETA:  Not that it's something that will help this guy.  He's probably got the NSA on his *expletive deleted*ss right now.  He'll get nailed for this, and for kiddie pr0n from 16 year old Czech girls or the like.  He'll be gone for a long time.
--Lysander Spooner

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 04:15:48 PM »
maybe it was Sparticus

Wink

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 04:54:25 PM »
State rep says son focus of Palin e-mail hacking rumors

News Sentinel staff and wire
Originally published 04:53 p.m., September 18, 2008
Updated 05:54 p.m., September 18, 2008

NASHVILLE - State Rep. Mike Kernell said today that he was aware of Internet rumors about his son being the subject of speculation that he accessed the personal e-mail of vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

Asked whether he or his son, a student at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville, had been contacted by authorities investigating the break-in of Palin's account, he responded:

"Me, no."

As far as his 20-year-old son, David, he said: "I can't say. That doesn't mean he has or hasn't (been contacted by investigators)."

Kernell, D-Memphis, cited the father-son relationship.

He said he had talked to his son today, but that he talks to his son regularly.

He declined further comment.

Attempts to reach the younger Kernell for comment were not successful.

The FBI and the Secret Service started a formal investigation Wednesday into the hacking, according to the Associated Press.

A first-hand account reported by the Associated Press suggested her account was vulnerable because a hacker was able to impersonate her online and obtain her passord.

The alleged hacker, using the e-mail address rubico10@yahoo.com, posted Wednesday to a forum on the website 4chan about how he used Yahoo! Mail's password-recovery tool to obtain the Alaska's governor password.

"i am the lurker who did it, and i would like to tell the story," rubico10@yahoo.com wrote.

The hacker guessed that Alaska's governor had met her husband in high school, and knew the Republican vice presidential candidate's date of birth and home Zip code, the Associated Press reported.

Using those details, the hacker tricked Yahoo Inc.'s service into assigning a new password, "popcorn," for Palin's e-mail account, according to a chronology of the crime published on the Web site where the hacking was first revealed.

Yahoo declined to comment today on details of the investigation, citing Palin's privacy and the sensitivity of such investigations, according to the Associated Press.

The person who claimed responsibility for the break-in did not respond Thursday to an e-mail inquiry from the Associated Press.

The break-in of Palin's private account is especially significant because Palin sometimes uses non-government e-mail to conduct state business. the Associated Press reported.

The Associated Press and Commercial Appeal of Memphis contributed to this story.

More details as they develop online and in Friday's News Sentinel.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 05:32:11 PM »
Using those details, the hacker tricked Yahoo Inc.'s service into assigning a new password, "popcorn," for Palin's e-mail account, according to a chronology of the crime published on the Web site where the hacking was first revealed.

David Kernell

hmmmmm

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 05:55:52 PM »
Palin scandals are boring. Now I know why certain folk don't want her in. She's not very newsworthy.

"HUGE SCANDAL! VP Palin was seen not covering her mouth while coughing." Or "Palin naps while Wall Street Crumbles!"

I expect a Fistful scandal would be more entertaining.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 06:37:19 PM »
I'm not at liberty to comment on that at this time.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 06:52:22 AM »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 07:57:54 AM »
possible obama campaign linkage
http://terryfrank.net/?p=3591

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 08:19:40 AM »
NAT does encapsulate the internal network IP of the requester into the packet headers.

No, it doesn't.