Author Topic: Emergency heat  (Read 6640 times)

Hutch

• friend
Emergency heat
« on: January 03, 2010, 09:41:37 AM »
Amigos/amigas, is it safe to burn a candle inside an inclosed car when stranded in dangersously cold temps?  If you have to lower a window to any degree, I would presume that heat lost in that way would vastly exceed the meager output of a "candle-in-a-can".  My further guess was that there is enough natural air infiltration in a car to prevent asphyxiation with the candle trick.  If not a candle, is there another cheap trick?  I have a BOB I maintain at my remote office (I fly every week), with a coupla candles, "space blanket", etc.  If I have to UA the AO, then it's rental car time and a 750 - 800 mile jaunt.  I love BOB threads, but let's just keep this on heat/warmth, since I'm traveling this week and I'm thin-blooded Southerner.

Thanks!

"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Emergency heat
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 09:44:32 AM »
I've never considered a heat source, I just pack a big bag of all my cold weather gear as well as a sleeping bag.  I consider that to be much more practical.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 09:55:42 AM »
I probably should have elaborated more.  This is for my BOB in a remote location that I fly to weekly.  Keeping all my warm clothes in the car is not an option.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
BOB?

I hate acronyms.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 10:13:50 AM »
Heat packs would make more sense to me for Bug Out Bag emergency heat. The ones that you tear the divider in the bag & shake the contents. No CO & eight to ten hours heat. can be placed in pockets at first & later in direct skin contact to make use of the last of the heat produced. If you can't find the "Hot Hands" or "Hot feet" dedicated heat packs, the "thermo" brand advertised for aching muscles will work. they're more expensive, they have attachment methods & really do out enough heat to warm your bones.

Candles, if you live in warmer climes, may melt & distort in the BOB.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 10:38:33 AM »
Good tips.  My wife dearly loves the Christmas present from my future S-I-L, which was a case of HotHandS - 2.  So, naturally, I bought 2 more cases...  =D.  I wonder if I can buy them locally, or if I need to try and get a half-dozen or so thru TSA =(

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 10:44:23 AM »
Order them online & have them direct shipped to your remote office.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 10:52:59 AM »
BOB?

I hate acronyms.

Bug Out Bag.  Usually a 72 hour survival kit.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 12:34:17 PM »
I vote for the hand warmers, although a candle is probably safe as long as the flame is kept away from anything combustable.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 12:52:29 PM »
I think the old stand-by is kitty litter in a metal pan, or in the good old days hubcap, and a few ounces of gas from the car.  Doable, and you will notice if you start to use up the air. I think I would go for an Esbit stove. I usually have one in the car. Failing that, find a car full of college ladies also stranded. To your wife, "It was horrible, but I had to survive to get home to you honey."  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 02:39:15 PM »
Another vote for hand warmers.  Buy 'em by the case and they're unbelievably cheap.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 03:11:58 PM »
When I was up in MN, I kept one of those Coleman Catalytic heaters and a 16 oz container of propane in the vehicle. That throws off enough heat to keep the vehicle warm even with a window cracked and little CO.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 03:38:43 PM »
The cabins of most cars aren't particularly well-sealed, so I wouldn't hesitate to burn a candle or an esbit tab or something.  Your best bet is probably to use an esbit to heat up some water and drink it, so that the heat produced can go directly to your core body temp.

That said, the best place to combust fuel to keep yourself warm is in your body.  Keep some high calorie food handy and eat that when you're cold, let your metabolism do the work.  You'll need a supply of water, too, so the candle or fuel tab is still a good idea for melting snow.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 04:57:30 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 04:57:42 PM »
Cars are horrible to try to use as shelter - they're really good at conducting heat right out of themselves due to things like poor sealing, the gap between the floor and the road, etc.

That said, I'd go with heating up water with a small tablet stove and drinking it - that will be the most efficient way of heating you. Another good one is, as stated, use no-flame hand warmers to heat yourself up. They're cheap and really do work.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 05:14:55 PM »
Best solution is two people in the same sleeping bag  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 05:17:03 PM »
I read an article in Field and Stream once that talked about a small coffee can, a roll of toilet paper, and a bottle of rubbing alcohol.  If I remember correctly you simply put the TP into the coffee can and add about an inch of alcohol to the bottom, saturating the cardboard tube as you do.  It could be worth an experiment.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 07:21:16 PM »
if you are outside lamp oil, diesel,or k1 will work to, it smokes something awful though  =D

edit: dropped an are =(
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:26:58 PM by sanglant »

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 07:34:55 PM »
I would look into a small stove to heat water or food that you can then drink. Even if you find other means to warm yourself you will still need a way to heat water to drink. If you have to warm yourself for fear of freezing you don't want to be chowing down ice to satisfy your thirst.

So I'd duel approach with the small stove and hand warmers. Open a warmer, stick it under you jacket, and it will help keep you warm.

As to a car being bad shelter, it is due to it's poor insulation. But I'd take it in a heart beat over nothing.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 07:40:53 PM »
i had heard the candle would raise the car temp by 10 degrees
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 08:39:26 PM »
Cars are horrible to try to use as shelter - they're really good at conducting heat right out of themselves due to things like poor sealing, the gap between the floor and the road, etc.

But unless this is in a very, very cold place, temps are more often in the wet cold range than the hard and dry cold range (of course, as I type this, it's twenty degrees or so, and I about froze my face off running in seven degrees last night).  If it's wet out, a dry car will be safer than a wet ditch/field, maybe even than a wet wood.  With the right insulating/heating stuff, a car will be ok.  In deeper cold, of course, one can always take the heating gear outside.

And I know virtually nil about heat dynamics, particularly compared with other people here, but that figure of a candle raising car temp by ten degrees is so imprecise as to be impossible.  Raise it from what?  How heated is the car already?  How cold is it outside.  I could be wrong, but I think that both of those factors would affect how fast the car gets cold.  Are we starting our candle test when the car is cold?  If so, what's the point, unless it's a dead car in which someone has taken up residence?  Is it a well-built and insulated small car (can't think of any off the top of my head, but there's gotta be some such critter), a utility van, or an SUV?  Seems that with so many variables at play, any figure like ten degrees has gotta be pure invention.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 11:08:43 AM »
I read an article in Field and Stream once that talked about a small coffee can, a roll of toilet paper, and a bottle of rubbing alcohol.  If I remember correctly you simply put the TP into the coffee can and add about an inch of alcohol to the bottom, saturating the cardboard tube as you do.  It could be worth an experiment.

I forget the street name for those, but I've heard of hunters using that method to keep warm in a tree stand or other semi-enclosed stand.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 11:12:57 AM »
I personally toss my +10 mummy sleeping bag in my vehicle if I travel out of town in the winter. Figure if I get stuck between the clothes I have one and that bag I should stay pretty warm.

I do need to think about a colder rated bag thought for that reason and camping during hunting season.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 01:39:39 PM »
something i just realized, don't count on a car not being well sealed. i can drive up a mountain without affecting my headache, but open the door and OUCH. it depends on whether the vent is open or on recirculate. :angel: i keep a space blanket in my car, and i bought some flannel throws, but they were to big for a impreza. [tinfoil] i bet a bigger car would have places you could stick the throws and couldn't even see them. [popcorn] this kind of throw (i know there ugly, but there cheap[i found mine in OD green =D])