Author Topic: Ruger LCR  (Read 6631 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Ruger LCR
« on: October 26, 2010, 09:32:02 PM »
Anyone have or shoot one? What do you think? I want a dinky gun and am thinking of getting one. The new boot grip model in .38.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Ruger LCR
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 10:05:21 PM »
Buddy of mine has one.  If you can get the larger capacity magazine so that you can hold it with more then two fingers, it's a great gun.  
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 10:06:09 PM »
A friend has one.  He likes it.  I don't believe he has ever had any issues with it.  IMO, it is a polished version of the Kel-tec.  

For pocket guns, they are good, IMO.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 10:06:19 PM »
Buddy of mine has one.  If you can get the larger capacity magazine so that you can hold it with more then two fingers, it's a great gun.  

LCR, not LCP.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 10:27:37 PM »
LCR, not LCP.

My bad.  The LCP is fun gun, and good at what it's designed for....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 10:59:46 PM »
I woulda been interested in the LCP, or the S&W Bodyguard .380, but this is CA, where they just this month de-listed the classic Walther PPK & PPK/S.

Hence the interest in the little .38. I was looking into the S&W Bodyguard .38 too, but so far I've gathered that the trigger on the Ruger is (surprisingly to me) rated as much better and smoother than the S&W. I'm trying to find a shop that has one in stock to check out that doesn't involve me spending more money in gas to get to than the gun costs.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 11:21:39 PM »
I dry-fired one at the local GS several months ago.
The trigger beats my SW642 by a lot.

Now that they have a .357 version out, it looks very interesting!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 06:36:16 AM »
If I didn't already have an Airweight J-Frame, I'd get an LCR for CCW.  It's just as light (feels so in the hand) and has a better trigger.

Chris

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 07:15:53 AM »
I just bought one earlier this month.  Haven't carried it much and only shot it a little so far, but I like it.  I got the one with the laser grip, more for fun and DA training capability than anything else.  I like the small size, smooth exterior that doesn't snag anything, and Ruger's reputation for stoutness.  It fits my hand well and seems to be as comfortable to shoot with +P as a lightweight gun can be.  I don't like the transfer bar rattling around when you shake it.  Overall I am pleased.  I think it will be around a long while.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 08:48:42 AM »
Ha.  I missed the mention of the .38 or I would have realized you were talking about the revolver. 

Some dealers locally had the S&W Airweight 38 on sale for $399 last year so I got one of those.  I don't know anyone who has the new Ruger 38. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 10:36:23 AM »
I just bought one earlier this month.  Haven't carried it much and only shot it a little so far, but I like it.  I got the one with the laser grip, more for fun and DA training capability than anything else.  I like the small size, smooth exterior that doesn't snag anything, and Ruger's reputation for stoutness.  It fits my hand well and seems to be as comfortable to shoot with +P as a lightweight gun can be.  I don't like the transfer bar rattling around when you shake it.  Overall I am pleased.  I think it will be around a long while.

The one concern I have looking at the boot strap model (BGXS) is that the tritium front sight looks like it could snag, or at least more so than other LCR configurations. If so, I would guess there were no frame changes between the BGXS and the previous configurations that would keep a guy from sticking a boot strap style grip on the standard LCR.

I was looking at the Crimson Trace model, just because it seems like that could at times be helpful on a gun with such a short sight radius. I have zero experience with laser sights though. Does the one on your LCR look like it would work well for a lefty (from the pov of activation and also not getting in the way of a good grip)?

griz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 11:44:49 AM »
I think so.  Seems like the left thumb would be the only potential obstruction and I don't think it would be a problem.  I'm at work now, unarmed :angel:, but will see tonight if my left paw fits it.  Answer tomorrow.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 06:41:52 PM »
Question: Which LCR would be preferable?....the .357 (heavier, more versatile) or the .38SPL (lighter, smaller grip)?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 06:46:52 PM »
Question: Which LCR would be preferable?....the .357 (heavier, more versatile) or the .38SPL (lighter, smaller grip)?.....

Do you ever see yourself firing .357 out of a lightweight revolver?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 07:48:14 PM »

I used to have a Dan Wesson 15-2 that included a 2.5" barrel. The 15-2 was a pretty hefty frame and I really didn't like shooting full .357 loads out of it with the short barrel on. That experience is why I'm looking at the .38 version of the LCR for myself.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 10:10:21 PM »

Possibly....I'm more interested in the durability of the steel frame vs. the aluminum frame...is the extra weight worth it?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 10:44:38 PM »
I dunno anymore...last time I was at The Bullet Trap, I hefted a Taurus titanium 38 special that was similar priced to the LCR, felt similarly light, and much less plastic. I'm sure the LCR is actually some trivial amount of ounces lighter, but the plastickyness doesn't do it for me now that I know there are other lightweight revolvers in the same price range.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 10:51:56 PM »
I dunno anymore...last time I was at The Bullet Trap, I hefted a Taurus titanium 38 special that was similar priced to the LCR, felt similarly light, and much less plastic. I'm sure the LCR is actually some trivial amount of ounces lighter, but the plastickyness doesn't do it for me now that I know there are other lightweight revolvers in the same price range.

I have one of the Total Titanium .357mags if you want to shoot one.  Double up on your earpro. at the Bullet Trap.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 11:13:54 PM »
Double up on your earpro.

You forgot to mention making sure your medical insurance is paid up and your orthpedic surgeon is on standbye.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

griz

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 08:41:32 AM »
I tried it southpaw.  As you can see my thumb is no where near the laser, so that should be no issue.  That's as natural a grip as I am capable of with my clumsy left hand, so that's pretty much the way I would fire it.  The switch is in the center of the groove for the middle finger, so that should be totally ambidexterous.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 09:16:51 AM »
Thanks Griz! That does look totally ambidextrous.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 08:46:32 PM »
Well, went and plunked the ducats down a couple of hours ago. Decided to go for the standard.

The only bummer is that I was going to get it yesterday, but got caught up with work. If I would have, I could have picked it up on Saturday the 20th. Now I have to get it on the 22nd because the store isn't open on Sundays. I've got all of T-day week off and want to take it with me when I go to the folks so I can shoot it some. So now if I want to do that I have to stick around town and miss two days of dove hunting. Stupid work. Stupid CA 10 day wait. Grrr.

Now, off into the wild, wild Web to find a holster... :)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »
Well, went and plunked the ducats down a couple of hours ago. Decided to go for the standard.

Standard means what?  No laser, or .38 instead of .357?

The only bummer is that I was going to get it yesterday, but got caught up with work. If I would have, I could have picked it up on Saturday the 20th. Now I have to get it on the 22nd because the store isn't open on Sundays. I've got all of T-day week off and want to take it with me when I go to the folks so I can shoot it some. So now if I want to do that I have to stick around town and miss two days of dove hunting. Stupid work. Stupid CA 10 day wait. Grrr.

Now, off into the wild, wild Web to find a holster... :)

Do let us know how it turns out.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 09:27:41 PM »
Standard means what?  No laser, or .38 instead of .357?

Do let us know how it turns out.

Standard is the .38 with the Hogue Tamer grip, which is a bit larger than the boot grip. I saw that the after-market boot grip sells for like $30, so I figure if the standard Hogue grip is too bulky to stick in a pocket, I can always buy the boot grip later.

Plus the boot grip model Ruger sells comes with the Tritium front sight, which the more I looked at it, the more I didn't want it because I figured it could be a snag waiting to happen.

I'll be sure to post after I've put some rounds through it. :)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 05:07:09 PM »
Thanks Griz! That does look totally ambidextrous.

I used to have an sp101 and had put a c trace laser on it, I didn't like it. as a righty I sometimes blocked the laser plus it was uncomfortable. I much prefer the houge grip
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."