Author Topic: Oh hell. 1911 bug is clawing at me.  (Read 6612 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Oh hell. 1911 bug is clawing at me.
« on: September 13, 2011, 10:49:40 AM »
Y'all are a bad influence. :lol: Now I've convinced myself I need another 1911.  >:D

I've been good. Gave up a lot of hobbies and interests to pay off debt. Goal achieved.

Another 1911 means I can start reloading again ( I only have .45 acp dies)

Damnit. :laugh:

Thanks a lot, scout26, for waking up the bug. Sheesh, posting about 185 gr. and all on a gun related board. :laugh:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:59:30 AM by grislyatoms »
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: Oh hell. 1911 bug is clawing at me.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 10:51:40 AM »
I know exactly what I want, too. S&W 1911.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:52 AM »

Another 1911 means I can start reloading again ( I only have .45 acp dies)

???

So you have a 1911 now, but don't reload?  Idoangeddit.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:26:14 AM »
???

So you have a 1911 now, but don't reload?  Idoangeddit.

I think he does not have a 1911 now, but has had one in the past.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
No 1911 now. I had a Kimber UC II, a Springfield Champion Loaded, and Springfield G.I. Sold them all when the IRS gnarled/gnailed me a while back.  ;)

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 11:34:29 AM »
Actually, can't include the Kimber in that reckoning. I sold it because it was a POS.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 12:04:06 PM »
I know exactly what I want, too. S&W 1911.

I'm looking real hard at the SW1911SC . . . Commander-size, scandium frame, factory bobtail . . . on paper, it's awfully darn close to the pistol I've been WISHING S&W would produce for years.

Now, if I can only find a local dealer that actually has one in stock so I can see if the pistol's execution lives up to the paper specs . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 12:17:07 PM »
I
'm looking real hard at the SW1911SC . . . Commander-size, scandium frame, factory bobtail . . . on paper, it's awfully darn close to the pistol I've been WISHING S&W would produce for years.
Stop the sidelining and just jump.

I bought a full size SW1911 tight after they came out, and it is an awesome gun.
I since picked up a few others, one being a SA Champion 4".
The fit and finish of the SW is better than the SA.
I have been thinking about dumping the 5" SW and getting exactly what you are looking at there.
I assume that you are looking at this bad boy:

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 01:13:27 PM »
If I could get that pistol, without the external extractor, in .38 Super, I'd be a happy fellow. As it is, I'm still heavily tempted.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 01:23:04 PM »
Odd - it looks like SW makes nothing in .38 Super in the 1911 format.
I even checked the Performance Center listings.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 01:49:28 PM »
They were offering one 5" target setup last I looked. it's an oddball chambering across the industry, pretty much. My holy grail carry rig is a LW Commander in 9x23 Win/,38 Super.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 02:36:31 PM »
I don't suppose that a 9mm platform would allow changing to a .38 Super barrel and mag, would it?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 03:03:13 PM »
I don't suppose that a 9mm platform would allow changing to a .38 Super barrel and mag, would it?

I don't see why not.  Most 9mm 1911 mags are .38super mags blocked off at the back.  I'd want to make sure the extractor was good for 9mm, given the .38super is semi-rimmed.

Thing is, what does .38Super do that 9mm+P and 9mm+P+ don't already do?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 05:04:55 PM »
I wonder if one of those jointed, spring loaded extractors like the Aftec might work?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 06:10:21 PM »
I don't see why not.  Most 9mm 1911 mags are .38super mags blocked off at the back.  I'd want to make sure the extractor was good for 9mm, given the .38super is semi-rimmed.

Thing is, what does .38Super do that 9mm+P and 9mm+P+ don't already do?

Caliber: 9mm Luger Plus P
Bullet Wt.: 125gr CORBON Self-Defense JHP
Velocity: 1250fps
Energy: 434ftlbs
Test Barrel Length: 4.0 Inches

Caliber: 38 Super Auto Plus P
Velocity: 1325fps
Energy: 487ftlbs
Test Barrel Length: 5.0 Inches

Caliber: 9x23
Velocity: 1450fps
Energy: 584ftlbs
Test Barrel Length: 5.0 Inches

The above are CorBon numbers. (I didn't see a 9x19+P+ listing). Even allowing for the barrel length difference, the improved velocity and energy at equivalent bullet weights are worth it to me. YMMV.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 06:41:37 PM »
The .460 Rowland is common on the .45 1911 platform, and easy to do. as I recall.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 06:47:39 PM »
I got a customized hardly shot 1966 Colt 1911A I might be persuaded to part with for the right price. Then again, maybe not. I'd be kicking myself in the ass forever more just like when I sold my 71 Mustang. Still miss that car.  :'(
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 08:08:35 PM »

Why, yes, since you ask.

I've built two 9mm/.38 Super switch-barrel 1911s. The case head is close enough in diameter that most "9mm" slides today are actually cut for the .38 Super case head. Most people even find that there isn't much trouble feeding 9mm ammo through .38 Super magazines, too, but I don't think I'd recommend that for a self-defense setup.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 08:59:23 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 09:03:19 PM »
Why, yes, since you ask.

I've built two 9mm/.38 Super switch-barrel 1911s. The case head is close enough in diameter that most "9mm" slides today are actually cut for the .38 Super case head. Most people even find that there isn't much trouble feeding 9mm ammo through .38 Super magazines, too, but I don't think I'd recommend that for a self-defense setup.
Well, there you go!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 09:14:12 PM »
Thanks a lot, scout26, for waking up the bug. Sheesh, posting about 185 gr. and all on a gun related board.  :laugh:

Glad, that if nothing else, I serve as a bad influence.  =D

If you scroll down on Brigid's Blog she has a picture of delicious looking chocolate chip cookies and it reads:

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies.

That kills me every time.

I'm privileged to be able to call her my friend.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:25:56 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 10:09:47 PM »
If you scroll down on Brigid's Blog she has a picture of delicious looking chocolate chip cookies and it reads:
Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies.
That kills me every time.
I'm privileged to be able to call her my friend.
That is an excellent site, thanks!
Recipes, guns, bacon, guns, dogs, guns, humor.
I can't use it for hunting in my state but it does see some uses elsewhere, like a trip to the wild, stalking the rogue Yukon Maple-Bacon Quiche (recipe coming up in the comments). The original recipe is a Canadian one, written in French. In translation I might have accidentally added some more bacon.
I am making this for the kids this weekend!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 11:40:45 PM »
Ed Browns classic custom centennial.
http://www.edbrown.com/centennial.htm
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 07:59:24 PM »
IStop the sidelining and just jump.

I bought a full size SW1911 tight after they came out, and it is an awesome gun.
I since picked up a few others, one being a SA Champion 4".
The fit and finish of the SW is better than the SA.
I have been thinking about dumping the 5" SW and getting exactly what you are looking at there.
I assume that you are looking at this bad boy:

Close:

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain