Poll

can you shoot slugs through a 395kb shot gun with c-lect a choke?

yes
2 (100%)
no
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: slugs through 395kb  (Read 6645 times)

menthol99

slugs through 395kb
« on: November 29, 2011, 10:09:07 PM »
i recently picked up a mossberg 395kb bolt action shotgun. want to know if you can fire a slug round through it with the c-lect a choke setup it has and on what setting should it be on!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: slugs through 395kb
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 10:28:34 PM »
If the owners manual doesn't say I'd contact Mossberg and ask them.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 12:31:45 AM »
Wouldn't mind hearing a modest diatribe about the rationale of chokes in the first place, or how slugs might be affected by, or affect upon, a particular choke design.

Shotgun woobie here without a single "shotty" in the safe.  Wouldn't mind a little enlightenment on the topic, if anyone's feeling talkative.

My philistine and uninformed perspective on it, is it ain't a marksman's weapon anyways... and chokes are just trying to squeeze an extra x% of tightness-per-distance out of a dispersal group.  The notion of any choke on a slug just strikes me as unnecessary, bordering on neglectful or damaging.  I'd love to be properly elucidated on the topic, though.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:59:17 AM »
What AZRedhawk44 said, but I'm going to add my iggerant comment that I've always been told that slugs should only be shot out of unrestricted bores.

Maybe a shotgunner will come along and edumacate us all.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:26:37 AM »
If it's a soft lead Foster-type slug, or Brenneke, even better if it's riding in a plastic wad, they generally can go through the weakest/slightest sort of choke known as "Improved Cylinder" or simply "Improved" safely. The hollow skirt of the Foster, and the raised ridges of the Brenneke are purposely made to swage down on firing to conform to the forcing cone of the bore, and of the choke.

The stress to the choke really isn't that different than squeezing down a shot column moving at 1200-odd FPS. And the stress of a soft pure lead slug passing through an IC choke is generally within the bounds of the variations of different loads of ammo, such as 3" magnums, steel shot (if the shotgun is so rated), and the differences in different maker's wads, shot sizes and their muzzle velocity.

Tighter chokes, like "Modified" or "full" are unsafe with slugs in my over-cautious approach. However, in the interest of full disclosure, there is lots of "standard" advice out there in fully modern shotguns to use whichever choke provides the best groups for you, up to and including a full choke.

Also, most multi-chokes have a wide open cylinder/slug setting.

So a slug is probably safe on the C-lect a choke's widest setting, putting my money where my mouth is, were it up to me, I'd be willing to shoot a Foster slug through your setup it were it my shotgun and probably one or two clicks tighter if I saw an improvement in it's groupings I deemed worth it.

However I would still want to find some factory documentation for that choke if at all possible, but depending on how old it is, it may not actually apply to the tech of modern ammo that's often got a lot of "lawyer proofing" built into it these days.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:36:26 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 09:34:29 AM »
Make sure you have someone running a video camera as you try this to post your results from your test.

Also make sure you have someone else hold your beer before trying this also. [popcorn]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:41:30 AM »
Before I bought a slug barrel for my Remmie 870 Wingmaster, I regularly fired rifled slugs through a 30-inch, full-choke barrel. This is a pre-steel-shot full choke, too, made in the mid-70s.

Would I do it? Sure. The way our overly-lawyered society is today, I doubt manufacturers would let something lke this go untested and without dire "YOU WILL DIE!!!" warnings everywhere.

This, however, is but one man's uneducated opinion. Your mileage, eyesight and facial scars may differ.  ;)

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 03:54:19 PM »
TFL's shotgun board is pretty good to get schoolin' on shotguns.  I think the two best are likely McCracken & Lapin.  And sm.

Shotguns can be decently precise as slug-throwers.  Just gotta find the right slug for your individual shotgun.  Mossberg also produces, IIRC, a rifled bolt action shotgun which has been used by military snipers in urban areas for 12ga slug's penetrative power.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 08:25:28 PM »
Wouldn't mind hearing a modest diatribe about the rationale of chokes in the first place, or how slugs might be affected by, or affect upon, a particular choke design.

Shotgun woobie here without a single "shotty" in the safe.  Wouldn't mind a little enlightenment on the topic, if anyone's feeling talkative.

My philistine and uninformed perspective on it, is it ain't a marksman's weapon anyways... and chokes are just trying to squeeze an extra x% of tightness-per-distance out of a dispersal group. 

Pretty much.  A tighter choke keeps a shot column together for a longer distance, which can be critical when hunting birds or other game with shot at longer distances as individual pellets don't really weigh that much, and the more you get on target the better.  It's generally less important for HD, since it's unlikely that you will need to engage a target beyond the effective distance of buckshot out of a cylinder bore (no choke) or improved cylinder choke, and if you need the distance a slug gives you, those are the chokes you want anyway.

As for accuracy, sometimes slugs are more accurate with improved cylinder, sometimes they like no choke. It depends on the gun and the ammo, so it's generally a good idea to experiment and find out what combination works best. This is for non-sabot slugs.  Sabot slugs need a rifled barrel for accuracy; they need the spin to stabilize.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 10:43:33 PM »
Wow I thought I was the only person with one of these guns.
Ironic because I got about 15 shotguns for free that had been a flood. Most were crappy guns to start with, but I got most of them up a running. They all look like crap except this one. They all spent a week underwater in foam cases. This gun still has all the finish. The only thing I did not do was refinish the stock.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods