Author Topic: Smart Watches  (Read 6608 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Smart Watches
« on: October 05, 2013, 10:39:05 AM »
Just saw this article on "why I need a smart watch". I don't actually, no matter how cool it is, because I won't be able to see anything on the damn thing. I'd love to see the twenty-somethings at Google who come up with this (admittedly cool) stuff be handed the devices to use when they turn 50. :)

I have a killer Citizen flight watch I used to wear all the time at work, but I had to stop wearing it a few years ago because the only thing I can see on it are the actual watch hands. Even with reading glasses on, I can no longer easily read some of the markings on the freakin' E6B. Even my smart phone, though I really like and use quite a few of the features, has become harder to use with some websites without putting reading glasses on. At some point you can make stuff too small for the amount of info you want it to provide.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/5-reasons-youll-wear-a-smart-watch
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Smart Watches
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 10:43:15 AM »
We're still using a clunky old dumb phone because the new ones have numbers to small to see to dial.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 10:47:13 AM »
I am at this very moment wearing a Casio ProTrek ABC solar watch that I bought specifically because it has a clean analog face with large white hands.  I can see immediately the time even without my glasses.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:13:22 AM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 10:48:17 AM »
Shades of Dick Tracy and his two-way wrist TV (originally wrist radio, but Chester Gould kept up with the times).

I agree. I don't even wear a chronograph any more -- no use for the other two or three tiny dials, regardless of what they're assigned to report. I don't even wear a watch with a date window, and haven't for years. A wrist watch is for telling me what time it is, and an analog dial is far better for that than a digital. The best watch is still a plain, GI-style "tactical" watch.

Sort of like this Timex, but without the date window:

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »
I know we'll be made sport of by the younger APS members, but man, the whole eyesight thing really sneaks up on you, doesn't it? I had 20/15 vision until around 46. Then I in the span of a few years I went to 20/20, then I sometimes needed reading glasses but could usually make do without them (though menus in dark restaurants were a chore), to now I'm at around 20/25 and I cuss at myself everytime I go to the home depot for something and forget my reading glasses (which I hate to carry around) because  I can't make out the packaging description on something I want to buy.

If they really want to make a smart watch, they should make one that turns 1 point font into 12 point font.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 11:04:24 AM »
I am at this very moment wearing a Casio ProTrek ABC solar watch that I bought specifically because it has a clean analog face with large white hands.  I can see immediately the time even without my glasses.

Got a Hummer watch.  Big white face.  Big black hands.  Big black numbers.  Put an expansion band on it.  All is well.

Rules for commercial success:

Formerly:  "Find a need and fill it."

Presently: "Create a need and fill it."

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:10:42 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 12:10:16 PM »

For me, that is far, far to "busy".  Too much different stuff wanting me to read an interpret it.

I use a Timex Expedition, mostly like Hawkmoon's.   White face, black numbers, hands that glow in the dark, and Indiglo.

Everything I need, nothing I don't.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 12:19:40 PM »
 :lol:

It's just hilarious to see you old-timers whine and moan.

I wear one of those, but with a blue face, and a normal, leather band. That's a good watch, that takes a lickin'.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »

Pardon me while I go shop ebay for a **** cane.

Your time will come, youngster.

I wear one of those, but with a blue face, and a normal, leather band. That's a good watch, that takes a lickin'.

My sweat would have a leather band (and a "base metal bezel") reduced to junk in short order.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 02:08:09 PM »

at least we're old enough to know it's a watch not a lollipop!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 02:15:14 PM »
Dr. Seuss was right, old age is not for sissies! =D
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 02:18:27 PM »
Your time will come, youngster.

When I'll complain that it's easier for young folks to use small gadgets?
  :P

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 02:36:27 PM »
Maybe you old timers need to get something like this,

:rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 04:07:13 PM »
I know we'll be made sport of by the younger APS members, but man, the whole eyesight thing really sneaks up on you, doesn't it? I had 20/15 vision until around 46. Then I in the span of a few years I went to 20/20, then I sometimes needed reading glasses but could usually make do without them (though menus in dark restaurants were a chore), to now I'm at around 20/25 and I cuss at myself everytime I go to the home depot for something and forget my reading glasses (which I hate to carry around) because  I can't make out the packaging description on something I want to buy.

If they really want to make a smart watch, they should make one that turns 1 point font into 12 point font.  :laugh:

Tell me about it! I used to have 20/15 as well and used to be able to see things or read print that almost no one I knew could see.

I noticed my vision declining at around age 40. I hate carrying reading glasses.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 04:53:35 PM »
 Just you wait, you that carry reading glasses with you.  The day will come when you realize that Ben Franklin was right and bifocals make sense.

Although no-line progressives are easier to live with, they are very expensive, even at the cheap $59.99 for 2 pair of glasses places.  The very definate lines of the glasses I get through the VA  took a while to get used to, but I've been living with them comfortably for some time.  Now, if I could just get stores to tilt their upc/unit price tags for stuff so I can read them without getting down on my knees before I tilt my head up to bring the reading part of the lens into play.

No, all those oulde phartes walking around with their noses in the air are not being haughty - they are just trying to read stuff that they cannot bring down into the reading field.

As for watches - I'm retired.  All I really need to know is what day it is, and sometimes even that is not important. :P

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 05:15:35 PM »
^ "No, all those oulde phartes walking around with their noses in the air are not being haughty - they are just trying to read stuff that they cannot bring down into the reading field."

That's the only reason I don't use bifocals.  My tendency was to have to look down over my nose at folks.  Made me (and them) feel like I was being haughty.  I still have those bifocs stored away somewhere.  They're OK when driving so you can see both the road and the instruments, but otherwise, meh.

I just switch glasses.  Minor pain.

Terry
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:21:30 PM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 08:14:51 PM »
Just you wait, you that carry reading glasses with you.  The day will come when you realize that Ben Franklin was right and bifocals make sense.

Well it just happens that although I bounce around between 20/20 and 20/25, when I took my Class 2 Flight Physical a couple of months ago, I got the dreaded "must have glasses for near vision" special requirement. Since I've been doing a bit of drone stuff lately sitting outside on boats, I decided to try out some "bifocal sunglasses" that Costco was selling in a three pack. Regular sunglasses with a +1.5 insert. They actually worked pretty well in letting me both look up in the sky without getting blinded, and back at the computer and controller with the magnifiers. The only problem was that I was still bobbing my head around trying to go between near and far instead of just moving my eyes.

I just got into Mammoth a couple of hours ago for some fishing, and where I think these glasses will shine will be tomorrow when I need to have sun protection and also tie itty bitty flies onto leaders.

Re: the Timex Expedition, that's what I have with me right now, just with the nylon strap.

Re: fistful being a smartass, I have made note of his comment and set a google calendar reminder for ten years from now so us old guys can make fun of him when he posts his first "I need reading glasses" topic.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
Now, if I could just get stores to tilt their upc/unit price tags for stuff so I can read them without getting down on my knees before I tilt my head up to bring the reading part of the lens into play.

Amen Brother!!

btdt
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 10:53:31 PM »
I know we'll be made sport of by the younger APS members,[/quote

Not from me man. 25 and got less than perfect vision in the left eye.

And not that I particuarly want one (I was dragged kicking and screaming into the smartphone world last year) but I simply don't see a "smart watch" surviving long. I wear $30 Timex watches for a reason...I do not see a smart watch standing up to the frequent water immerssian, shock, beating against stuff all day long, welding heat, and other factors my watch sees every day.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 11:26:15 PM »
*shrug*

I'll admit something here I probably shouldn't, because someone is gonna make fun of me. I don't know why but reading analogue clocks is not something I can do at a glance.
Yes, if pressured I can tell time, but it takes a few moments.

I think most digital watches look dorky and the regular ones don't really do much for me, soo... Between that and the fact I don't like crap on my wrist, I've never worn watches.

I'll be honest, I don't see the point of the Smart Watch thing, either. Even with perfect vision and the whole young whippersnapper thing going for me, I don't see a screen that small being functional in any real way. Maybe if it was all voice controlled, it could be almost useful.

Really. In all honesty, what is so darn tootin' important that you can't take the phone out of your pocket? And if you can't take your phone out of your pocket, should you really be fussing with whatever it is anyway?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 11:37:10 PM »
I'll admit something here I probably shouldn't, because someone is gonna make fun of me. I don't know why but reading analogue clocks is not something I can do at a glance.

Reading an analog clock is one of those things you just gotta get used to and you'll be able to do it quickly. I wasn't able to do it quick until I brought an analog watch to force myself to.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 11:43:55 PM »
*shrug*

I've never been all that quick at reading analog, either, but I like analog watches anyway. It doesn't help that I now have a 24-hour Skilcraft clock on the wall above my desk.

And FWIW, I wasn't making fun of anybody for their vision problems. It's the complaining that us young whippersnappers are making tech you can't use.  :rofl:

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 04:27:45 AM »
*shrug*

Helps if you use quarters instead of sixtieths.

"Quarter Of (insert hour)", "Half past (hr)," "Quarter past (hr)."

I discovered a while ago that most really young folks don't know how to handle that.  Everything's down to the minute, as in "Six-forty-eight," due, of course, to digital readouts.

As if "Quarter to seven" isn't close enough for most things.  I mean, when was the last time anybody set up a meeting for "Six-forty-eight?"

<grin>

Terry

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 04:34:46 AM by 230RN »

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2013, 06:01:34 AM »

I've never been all that quick at reading analog, either, but I like analog watches anyway. It doesn't help that I now have a 24-hour Skilcraft clock on the wall above my desk.

And FWIW, I wasn't making fun of anybody for their vision problems. It's the complaining that us young whippersnappers are making tech you can't use.  :rofl:

The 24 hour clocks are fun ones to read even if you are use to reading analog clocks.  You will get use to it.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 11:51:43 AM »

Your mistake is in thinking that an analog clock has to be "read." It can be, of course, but the advantage an analog dial of any type has over digital is that it doesn't have to be "read," it can just be looked at. As 230RN posted, you don't try to read it to the minute, you glance at it and get a sense of where the hands are -- then you look back to whatever you were doing (like, maybe, driving) and let the mind process what the eyes saw.

There's a reason why race drivers don't use digital tachometers and gauges. It doesn't take long for their minds to become accustomed to where the needles usually point when everything is running properly. So all they have to do is glance down -- if the needles are in the usual places, all's right with the world and there's no need to "read" a dial to see that the oil pressure is 63 psi. 60, 61, 65 -- doesn't matter, I've got oil pressure in the proper range, hammer down. But if that needle that usually points straight up is suddenly pointing down and to the left -- now it's time to pay attention. With digital instrumentation, you have to read the output every time you want information. I once had a rental car with a digital speedometer and all digital instruments. It was horrible -- I hated it.

But I grew up in the era of analog dials and analog clocks. We learned how to "tell time" ("The big hand is on the ten, the little hand is on the three -- what time is it?"). With a digital timepiece, there's no such thing as "telling time" -- it's just reading the digital output.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:56:23 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design