Author Topic: Airsoft guns  (Read 6616 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Airsoft guns
« on: October 23, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »
Would an ak replica have a orange plastic tip?
This re 13 year old shot in california

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: Airsoft guns
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:36:16 PM »
Would an ak replica have a orange plastic tip?
This re 13 year old shot in california

I believe they're all sold that way - but many kids will pull that tip off or spraypaint it, for obvious reasons.

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 06:37:16 PM »
Yea. This time it was bad. Real bad

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 06:40:25 PM »
I have a hard time believing that a 13 year old would make threatening movements with an airsoft towards cops with drawn guns.

If he truly did, he deserves what he got.  Not channeling or mocking anyone on the forum, I mean that whole-heartedly.

I just can't think any 13 year old is THAT stoopid nowadays.

I think this is twitchy supercop over-reaction, yet again.  The notion that a 13 year old in CA can even FIND an AK is preposterous.  By default, it has to be a toy.  And the cops ought to have considered probability before engaging this particular nail with their hammers.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 06:46:14 PM »
I have a hard time believing that a 13 year old would make threatening movements with an airsoft towards cops with drawn guns.

The problem is, too many cops have been trained to regard ANY movement as "threatening," and to act IMMEDIATELY to neutralize the threat. Who knows what the kid did, or might have done? If he even blinked, a cop on an adrenalin rush could easily have perceived it as "threatening."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 06:49:02 PM »

If he truly did, he deserves what he got.  Not channeling or mocking anyone on the forum, I mean that whole-heartedly.

I just can't think any 13 year old is THAT stoopid nowadays.

I think this is twitchy supercop over-reaction, yet again.  The notion that a 13 year old in CA can even FIND an AK is preposterous.  By default, it has to be a toy.  And the cops ought to have considered probability before engaging this particular nail with their hammers.
Why do you believe a 13 year old couldn't find an ak?
When we wanted a gun in dc we went to the local high school to cop one

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 06:51:14 PM »
The problem is, too many cops have been trained to regard ANY movement as "threatening," and to act IMMEDIATELY to neutralize the threat. Who knows what the kid did, or might have done? If he even blinked, a cop on an adrenalin rush could easily have perceived it as "threatening."

This is clearly bad training then.  Guns drawn and pointed at a threat like this, finger should be off the trigger and alongside the frame unless there is actual demonstrable malice on the part of the target.

Cops get away with drawing guns and pointing them for authoritah's sake far more than you or I do, and are allowed to point guns at people to obtain compliance.  As such, training needs to enforce strict trigger discipline.

I'd really like to see dashcam footage of this.  Doubt it will ever surface. =|
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 06:56:58 PM »
If they were away from car it won't exist. Makes a good case for body cams. Really wanna see the dallas cams footage

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 08:01:06 PM »
Why do you believe a 13 year old couldn't find an ak?
When we wanted a gun in dc we went to the local high school to cop one

The story he's referencing actually is about a kid with a fake "rifle". 

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/23/Calif-Sheriffs-deputies-shoot--kill-13-year-old
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

• friends

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 08:35:04 PM »
Yeah, you'd be asking for a bullet if you pointed that at me.  Or those deputies.  If that's the gun in question.

I still would love to see video of the altercation.  Just 'cuz the kid had a realistic looking airsoft gun doesn't mean he pointed it at anyone.
--Lysander Spooner

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 09:29:56 PM »
Updated article from the local cyber-fishwrap:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Friends-question-killing-of-boy-who-had-fake-rifle-4920174.php#photo-5360155

Photos 2 and 11 in the slideshow are pics of the fake gun the kid was carrying.  Looks like the muzzle was broken off or cut off, hence no orange tip.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 09:44:03 PM »
This looks to be on the cheap junky end of Airsoft if it even is Airsoft...

However, there is a lot of it that comes in without the orange tips from Asia anyway. Or, like the "medium-end" Tokyo Mauri Airsoft P90 I got wayyyyy back around 2000 so I could skirmish with a group of friends who were looking for a cheap alternative to paintball, it came with a plastic junk orange flash hider, and a metal FN-style slant brake hidden down in the instructions packet.  :angel:

Orange paint that comes off easily with alcohol is also popular with the higher-end Airsoft. 
I promise not to duck.

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 10:21:46 PM »
There is supposed to be some amateur vid that starts right after shooting before cops approach the down kid with statements from the gut who drove up while cops were crouched down on otherside of car from kid.

Had a 9 year old point a replica at me once while working that was scary real looking.
I have not so mixed feelings about letting kids have those

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 11:49:18 PM »
I have a friend who is heavily into airsofts. He has mostly all pistols, but even the meddle-grade ones are indistinguishable for a real firearm at even five feet away. He sent me one to look at once. It was an airsoft copy of a Wilson Combat 1911, and with the red muzzle cover removed (which he did immediately), there was no way to know it wasn't a real 1911 without handling it.

The red tips are required by law, but they are useless. The kids all take the red off so their toys will look real, and the gang bangers paint the muzzles of their Glocks red hoping the cops will think it's an airsoft. It a lose-lose situation all around, IMHO. They are fun to play with, but parents should NOT allow their kids to take them off their own property, or to play with them in the front yard where they can be seen from the street. It sucks, but this case illustrates the consequences.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:33:08 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 11:53:01 PM »
I have a friend whoo is heavily into airsofts. He has mostly all pistols, but even the meddle-grade ones are indistinguishable for a real firearm at even five feet away. He sent me one to look at once. It was an airsoft copy of a Wilson Combat 1911, and with the red muzzle cover removed (which he did immediately), there was no way to know it wasn't a real 1911 without handling it.

The red tips are required by law, but they are useless. The kids all take the red off so their toys will look real, and the gang bangers paint the muzzles of their Glocks red hoping the cops will think it's an airsoft. It a lose-lose situation all around, IMHO. They are fun to play with, but parents should NOT allow their kids to take them off their own property, or to play with them in the front yard where they can be seen from the street. It sucks, but this case illustrates the consequences.

Don't blame the tool.

Even if the kid was walking around with a real AK, police have no grounds shooting someone who doesn't DESERVE shooting.  Behaviors should be the cause of bullets, not props.
--Lysander Spooner

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 12:00:04 AM »
Don't blame the tool.

Even if the kid was walking around with a real AK, police have no grounds shooting someone who doesn't DESERVE shooting.  Behaviors should be the cause of bullets, not props.
A 13yo kid probably isn't too cognizant of muzzle discipline.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 12:05:29 AM »
A 13yo kid probably isn't too cognizant of muzzle discipline.

Then he earned his bullets, if that's the case. =|
--Lysander Spooner

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 12:07:13 AM »
I have a friend whoo is heavily into airsofts. He has mostly all pistols, but even the meddle-grade ones are indistinguishable for a real firearm at even five feet away. He sent me one to look at once. It was an airsoft copy of a Wilson Combat 1911, and with the red muzzle cover removed (which he did immediately), there was no way to know it wasn't a real 1911 without handling it.

The painted tips are only required to be imported into the US, the law ends there.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 12:44:15 AM »
Then he earned his bullets, if that's the case. =|
Yeah. This exact same thing has happened a couple of times before. Never ends well for the kid, and I'm sure the cop that shoots him down isn't gonna get over that too soon. A truly ****** situation, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the kid thought it would be funny to point the gun at the cop, just to spook him.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 01:42:34 PM »
I've got a propane-powered "AirSoft" ("PropaneSoft?") Colt MKIV clone that looks and hefts so realistically that I'm damned glad it does have a non-removable plastic red tip on it.

Just from currently-available information, I don't know if this incident is justifiable legally, but putting myself in the Officers' places on the overall fact pattern, and with all that's been going on with these school attacks, I can sure see it justifiable emotionally.  Kid with what looks like a rifle (or, for that matter, even an adult) waves it around without muzzle training, and I can understand the "condition red" muscle reaction to it.

On the other hand, just from assorted videos I've seen, mind you, I can understand the confusion of the "suspect" under the conflicting commands hollered by the police.

"Drop the gun," "Hands in the air," "Get down on the ground," etc. all coming at once from different Officers, can result in an unthinking "Huh?" and turning-around response which would lead to those muscle-reactions.  I don't know if it's procedurally possible in a tense active situation, but maybe there ought to be only one designated officer who shouts commands in situations like these.

Yeah, I know, an extra layer of complexity added on to a "situation," but it might be worth thinking about.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:10:19 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 03:04:45 PM »
It's also possible the kid didn't believe it was really the police and might have thought it was some friends of his joking around.  In which case he might have pantomimed "mowing them down" before realizing it was the real deal. 

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 03:21:48 PM »
Yea i deal with kids that age and there is really no way to tell how they might act sometimes. And i was no better at that age. Crying shame all the way round for everyone

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 04:19:06 PM »
Even as a youngster, I never pointed toy guns at police. And by age 13 - having outgrown actual "toys" - I wasn't roaming the neighborhood with my Crosman .22 pellet gun  - growing up in Chicago, my marksmanship training was limited to certain limited situations. (Which probably still would have put me in hot water if found out.)

As for the red muzzle plug . . . as a kid, that would have been discarded or painted over (Magic Marker) within minutes of taking possession of the toy.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 04:39:52 PM »
No need to second guess the police. They all got to go home safe at the end of the day, so all is alright.  :police:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama