Author Topic: Jawa Sand Crawler Prototype?  (Read 1254 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Jawa Sand Crawler Prototype?
« on: November 13, 2013, 11:26:56 AM »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Jawa Sand Crawler Prototype?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 11:32:30 AM »
Huh.  Wonder how it handles uneven terrain.  Coastal or inland plains is about the only place it would operate worth a *expletive deleted*it I imagine.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »
I can't figure out why some student project is getting so much airtime.  It's not like anyone is getting ready to build one or something.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 02:25:40 PM »
Ultimate bug-out vehicle ?   :lol:

Fuel mileage is probably terrible  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 02:34:05 PM »
So, what's the value proposition of something so enormously more expensive then building on earth?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 02:40:59 PM »
So, what's the value proposition of something so enormously more expensive then building on earth?

From the article, nothing but a lot of vague hippie BS.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 03:07:30 PM »
Fuel mileage is probably terrible

Probably runs on ethanol, provided by farmers on the government dole...    ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 03:24:14 PM »

Maybe a colony on another planet or something... I don't see it being useful on Earth anywhere though without crushing the ever-living hell out of roads it crosses.  Although I imagine it has auto-leveling capabilities and could probably lift up or at least lighten its footprint on whatever tank segment is over a road bed to prevent excessive damage when crossing.

A mining and refining and manufacturing station all in one on Mars, for instance.  A gigantic RepRap manned with a crew of tens of thousands, complete with what appears to be an airport runway and could be equipped with a space launch facility.

But the same mission could probably be accomplished more inexpensively by trucking raw materials to a central refining and processing facility.

I guess the value would be sociological rather than material:  If you want to build a roving metropolis-colony rather than the current socio-economic model of industrial centers and rural resource gatherers.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 03:34:27 PM »
Looks like an early prototype Spice extraction facility . . . better be careful of sandworms.  =|

So . . . a little time with a CAD package developing a photo-realistic image of a fantasy moving city (with the obligatory "green energy" message) now qualifies as a Master's thesis?   :facepalm:

(BTW, notice how in the second picture it doesn't cast a shadow on the ground?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 03:35:32 PM »
Clearly the two monstrosities need to be combined. City defense and all.

This may be true, but there's a LOT of space on inland plains.

There's some sort of Steampunkish story series set on post-apocolyptic Earth where giant robotic crawler cities fight and chase smaller ones down, and things like the mining scoops tear the prey cities up and "eat" them for resources.

Ah, found it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Engines
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:39:38 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 03:35:40 PM »
Given the terrain and that it can't travel on roads or over mountains, where would you put something like this where it could go somewhere useful?  Just about anywhere on earth, it will either run into obstacles or hit mud/sand and sink in.  

Not to mention that this seems like the wet dream of someone who wants to dump trash and waste out the back end and just move on to somewhere else.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

erictank

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 07:27:13 PM »
SHIELD Helicarrier Mk 1.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 07:27:22 PM »
They over thought this one.  Why build a land based behemoth when the planet is mostly water?   Come to think of it,  didn't they make an awful Costner movie of the same?

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour