Author Topic: Napolitano: US Citizens biggest terrorist threat to US  (Read 6116 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Napolitano: US Citizens biggest terrorist threat to US
« on: February 22, 2010, 03:45:05 PM »
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100221/D9E0R8H02.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano says terrorists who are U.S. citizens or live in the country legally and plot against the U.S. are just as big of a concern as international terrorists.

She says that when she started as secretary a year ago, the focus was largely on international terrorists who want to harm U.S. interests. But in the past year, more of the violent extremism that has been seen overseas is showing up in the U.S.

She says officials need to drill down and analyze the factors that make a young person, raised in the U.S., migrate to extremist beliefs and actions.

Napolitano was speaking to governors who are in Washington for their annual conference.

Yeah, it's a short article and could be too short of a synopsis...

Keep it clean while Tea-Partying, Appleseeding, rallying or any other form of poli-critter agitating.

But keep agitating them. =D ;)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

PTK

• friends
Re: Napolitano: US Citizens biggest terrorist threat to US
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 03:50:48 PM »
She says officials need to drill down and analyze the factors that make a young person, raised in the U.S., migrate to extremist beliefs and actions.

Overbearing government and their incessant analyses of our actions, of course.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 03:58:40 PM »
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100221/D9E0R8H02.html

Yeah, it's a short article and could be too short of a synopsis...

Keep it clean while Tea-Partying, Appleseeding, rallying or any other form of poli-critter agitating.

But keep agitating them. =D ;)

As much as I hate defending this woman, we have had a lot of "home grown" terror of the same type as we are fighting overseas.

Now, given their "right wingers are terrorists" memo from last year, she may not be referring to the muslim terrorists here, but I'm hoping she's referring to them.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 04:17:47 PM »
As much as I hate defending this woman, we have had a lot of "home grown" terror of the same type as we are fighting overseas.

Now, given their "right wingers are terrorists" memo from last year, she may not be referring to the muslim terrorists here, but I'm hoping she's referring to them.
I doubt that she is.

The last time we had a democrat administration, law enforcement put together a report on the dangers of eco-terrorists - you know, those who burn SUV dealers & housing developments, and spike trees. The admin slapped the authors down, and TOLD them that "right-wing white militias" were the problem, and their next report d****d well better say so.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 06:03:19 PM »

Folks thought I was off my rocker when I did my Cassandra impersonation back during the Bush years.  Every single terrorism law drafted will eventually be used significantly more against more or less normal US citizens than any foreign terrorist.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 06:04:07 PM »
How can you say that home-grown terrorists/violence are any worse in the past year?    

Luby's in Texas, Columbine, and VTech all happened previously.  People have flow planes into govt buildings before, or blown them up.  Have people forgotten the Unibomber?  That was quite a few years ago.  There are quite a few other incidents and multiple murders that someone could classify as "terrorism" if they wanted to.  Why do a lot of buildings police agencies have procedures for dealing with bomb threats?  

If her memory is that short, she isn't qualified for that job.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 11:28:16 AM »
Well, this is a problem that we will eventually solve; after all, we've been replacing America's stock for forty years now.  Just be patient; the bad actors are being swapped out.  You can thank Ted Kennedy for getting that ball rolling...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 10:37:19 PM »
The title of this thread is a little hysterical. 

WASHINGTON (AP) - Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano says terrorists who are U.S. citizens or live in the country legally and plot against the U.S. are just as big of a concern as international terrorists.

Nowhere in this article does Napolitano say that US citizens are the biggest threat.  Consider this the first strike in the war for reading comprehension skills.  :facepalm:  My comments are in no way to be considered support for the Secretary of DHS, she can fight her own battles.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 10:48:22 PM »
The issue is who brought them here--and why.

Time to identify polices, motives, and names.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 11:50:11 PM »

The Fort Hood shooter is  a perfect example of this.  Again, don't mistake me for thinking that veteran's are the enemy because in that case I am the enemy.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 12:35:57 AM »
So when can I expect the predator drone to bump off Bill Ayers?  [popcorn]
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 02:46:48 AM »
I found, given the context of the article, that she is pretty clearly referring to Muslim terrorists who happen to be citizens or legal immigrants.

This discussion involved the guys going off to Somalia or the ME for terrorist training.

There's enough to slam her for without reaching.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 11:00:18 AM »
The fact that they are citizens or iegal immigrants is EXACTLY what I am concerned about.  In the latter case it points to State Dept. policies that badly need questioning and have for a long, long time.  Perhaps you are familiar with the "Invade the world, invite the world" charge?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 05:37:59 PM »
Given that most of the folks that have gone jihadi did it years after getting here I'm not sure what the State Department could actually do about it.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 05:51:07 PM »
The reach, it hurts. :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”