Author Topic: CBO: Social Security Now Officially Broke  (Read 6157 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
CBO: Social Security Now Officially Broke
« on: January 26, 2011, 03:07:33 PM »
https://www.nationalreview.com/exchequer/258075/cbo-social-security-now-officially-broke

The CBO’s revenue/expenditure estimates now place the program in permanent deficit.

What can I say?  The day that everyone who doesn't have their head shoved up a dark & odorous place predicted would come, has come.

It is a new day, a day when general revenues will prop up Social Security, rather than the other way around.

That sound you hear off in the distance?  That is the sound of a crash.

Cheers!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: CBO: Social Security Now Officially Broke
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 03:12:57 PM »
Or the sound of a shot heard around the world. 
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 03:17:23 PM »
I wish I could put my mandatory state pension contributions into my IRA. Gonna take it from all sides if I live long enough.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 03:28:21 PM »
yup, I am skee roooed.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 04:53:54 PM »
Right now, this minute, SS isn't broke, there's still a surplus accumulated over past decades; but we are starting to tap into that, and unless we do something, SS will eventually start contributing to the deficit - in a big way.

In my eyes, SS is different from many other "entitlements" because for retirees, it represents benefits that have been earned. There's a moral and ethical claim on benefits that retirees can make. (That claim is a bit tenuous for persons other than retirees who collect benefits.)

Still, that makes SS different than other "entitlements" such as food stamps, WIC programs, EITC, college tuitiion discounts for illegal aliens, midnight basketball, and a whole host of stuff that would probably appall most of us if we knew the full story; too many of these are pure giveaways. And I doubt if the Obamunists would even consider putting those on the chopping block.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 05:16:22 PM »
Right now, this minute, SS isn't broke, there's still a surplus accumulated over past decades;

AaaaHa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.... aaa haa ha ha ha... whew... (reads again) ahaa haaha ha ha ha  :laugh:

sighhh

I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but all of that money has been spent on general funding. The SSA has a big stack of Treasuries for all that surplus. These IOUs (Treasuries) can't be repaid. SS benefits will be cut, taxes increased, defence cuts, other programs cut, and debt increased to cover the shortfall.

In my eyes, SS is different from many other "entitlements" because for retirees, it represents benefits that have been earned. There's a moral and ethical claim on benefits that retirees can make. (That claim is a bit tenuous for persons other than retirees who collect benefits.)

Still, that makes SS different than other "entitlements" such as food stamps, WIC programs, EITC, college tuitiion discounts for illegal aliens, midnight basketball, and a whole host of stuff that would probably appall most of us if we knew the full story; too many of these are pure giveaways. And I doubt if the Obamunists would even consider putting those on the chopping block.

Yeah, you mean legitimate entitlements like GM and Chrysler bondholders that were short changed outside of normal bankruptcy rights to benefit those with more political clout?
Cause if we are talking about legitimate entitlements, I have full faith that our gov't will do the right thing. (<--- sarcasm)
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 05:43:49 PM »
HankB:

You're such a kidder!

drewtam:

I might be wrong, but I think I recall that the SS "surplus" is in super-speshul SS-only IOUs, not even actual treasuries.

<googles>

Heh, I wasn't so far off:
"special-issue securities" that are not marketable.

Where is the ROFL smiley?  Or would I need the ROFSD* frownie?

* Roll On the Floor in Suicidal Despair

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 06:01:45 PM »
Next up?  Confiscation of private retirement funds.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 06:19:16 PM »

Don't cry for me, Argentina.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 06:23:30 PM »

Yep. It will happen. And it will get very ugly.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 09:29:59 PM »

Five years ago, there were seventy million participants with 401(k) alone.  I guarantee the number of people who would be happy with confiscation of their entire retirement assets would be under 5 percent.  Even the most hardcore partisan supporter gets irate when the rules apply to them.  Confiscation of private retirement funds in one blow would be flat out politically impossible.  So is fixing Social Security.

Only political possibility is raising revenues or inflation via inflating the money supply.  I'd lay down cash on inflation, personally.  You'd have to, more or less, double revenue to make the federal budget dead even.  I'm not sure how much you'd have to increase the revenue to cover the Social Security liabilities.  But, you'd have to raise taxes significantly more than double in order to adjust for diminishing returns. 

Even if one does believe in the Social Security securities being "real money", they still must be redeemed with actual money from somewhere.  That's probably going to be from general revenue.  It's basically just an accounting trick to avoid having to say "Yes, we spent the surplus to the last penny."  Now they can say that they used money to buy nontransferable securities, and spent said money but still have those wonderful nontransferable securities.

Honestly, my bet is that they try to do it the "right way" (selling Treasury securities) for as long as possible.  Once the auctions begin to fail, they'll sharply raise interest rates.  At this point, the US ratings will probably be downgraded.  This will continue for a while.  Then investors will either stop buying, or simply not buy enough to keep the federal government operating. 

There's three solutions.  Spend less (not politically acceptable outside of token amounts), take in more (somewhat more politically acceptable, but makes folks unhappy) or cheat (inflate the money supply).  Cheating also have the virtue of not only paying for operating costs, but also diluting previous debt.  Quickest way to get a government out of debt is to devalue the currency to the point that you can trivially pay off your debts.  Also happens to be the worst way of dealing with your debt problems.  I doubt we'd see hyperinflation like the Turkish lira or any number of African currencies, but it'd still be quite painful. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 04:40:24 AM »
Yep. It will happen. And it will get very ugly.

For a day or two maybe. Then those that protest will be labled as racist, un/anti-american, and/or a handful of other nasty lables.
A new season of American (M)Idol will come on followed by another Survivor reunion and most people will just go on about thier lives. The tiny minority that really protest will get spanked by .gov and be forgotten.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 09:03:47 AM »

401k's for sure.  A few months ago, Wilkow was playing clips of some woman who's wiggled her way into writing financial legislation who supports doing just that.

Five years ago, there were seventy million participants with 401(k) alone.  I guarantee the number of people who would be happy with confiscation of their entire retirement assets would be under 5 percent.  Even the most hardcore partisan supporter gets irate when the rules apply to them.  Confiscation of private retirement funds in one blow would be flat out politically impossible.  So is fixing Social Security.

It won't be quite that obvious.  Hell, it probably won't even be by law.  It'll be done quietly by some agency formed during the "financial reform". Maybe through the new Consumer Protection people.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 09:04:42 AM »
The point was, SS benefits are NOT the source of today's deficit or today's national debt. The news is reporting that the SS trust fund is still in surplus, and won't run out of money until 2037 - but since we've begun drawing it down already, now is the time to fix it, if we can.

Government has been, and continues to, pirate/steal SS funds for other, NON-SS programs. That doesn't make SS the problem, it makes the rest of government the problem. Pointing to SS "entitlements" as the source of today's deficits and today's national debt is dishonest. (Dishonesty from fed.gov? Who would've thunk it?  ;/  )

And they continue to swindle the SS trust fund. Consider how SS retirement benefits are now taxed - fed.gov pays out benefits with the left hand, and then takes back a chunk with the right hand . . . but what they take back doesn't go back to SS, it goes into the general fund.  This way they get to steal the money, launder it through retiree's accounts, and not even pretend they're going to pay it back.

As for confiscating 401(k) or other retirement funds . . . that would become really nasty, and .gov knows it. They may tinker with or phase out 401(k), IRAs, Roths, etc., but outright confiscation? I don't see it. Consider -  if 0.01% (one in ten thousand) of the victims decide to "vote from the rooftops" (to use a euphemism) being a government employee would become a job with greatly reduced long term prospects. And the .gov reaction would be both swift and harsh . . . provoking more violent backlash. A vicious spiral that will spin out of control, with no winners. Very bad for everyone.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 12:47:01 PM »
Apply enough class warfare, go after the rich first, and much of the population would go along with it.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 01:05:55 PM »
Apply enough class warfare, go after the rich first, and much of the population would go along with it.

401(k) and IRAs are predominately for workers.  401(k) caps out at $16,500/yr.  So it's not really feasible to go after the rich people's 401(k)s, as they don't tend to have them. 

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »
Meh.  

I think it's a mistake to presume that 401(k)s don't belong to the wealthy.  By far, most private retirement accounts, and most of the assets held in private retirement accounts, belong to white collar workers at the higher end of the income spectrum.  Even at the lower ends, anyone with some retirement savings is still far wealthier than the poor who have nothing but empty SS promises.  

I think it's a further mistake to assume that fact or reality will have anything to do with the politics.  The purpose of this sort of action is never to solve an actual problem with a sensible solution.  It's about convincing voters to give power to the proponents of the plan.  

Does anyone doubt politicians' ability to convince the penniless voting poor that anyone with a quarter or half million dollar retirement account is wealthy?

There's an awful lot of money tied up in retirement accounts, and those who have 'em will fare much better than those who don't.  I think those are the only ingredients necessary for confiscation to be a possibility.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:50:04 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 02:23:26 PM »
Well, my measly retirement is in the gov't Thrift Savings Plan. I guess at the first sneeze of legislation to finger that I cash it, take the penalty and interest hit and then buy all the TEOTWAWKI crap I need. They have no claim to it, the gov't does not match funds, so every penny is money I kept away from myself. If it comes to that bad of a state, just remember, you can't fight city hall. But with enough gasoline...
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 07:23:44 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 07:41:15 PM »
The fact that thing is called 'truthiness' tells us all we need to know about the author's political leanings.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/truthiness/

a few points

He's painting a rosy picture and using a number of specious arguments.

The money isn't there and it won't be there when I retire. Why should I be forced to pay into Social Security so that the baby boomers get to keep stealing from their children and grandchildren hoping to push the day of reckoning off onto another generation.

It's a shame we know longer think like this:

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

Instead it's, "If there must be trouble, let my children deal with it. I deserve a good life. I've worked for it. Screw the kids."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 07:53:32 PM »
The fact that thing is called 'truthiness' tells us all we need to know about the author's political leanings.

really?  do tell me all about his political leanings?  i wait with bated breath.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 10:55:02 PM »
The money isn't there and it won't be there when I retire. Why should I be forced to pay into Social Security so that the baby boomers get to keep stealing from their children and grandchildren hoping to push the day of reckoning off onto another generation.

You don't think there's tens of millions of us "baby boomers" (I hate that monicker) who have been screaming about having our money confiscated to support this Ponzi scheme for the last 40+ years of our careers?

I'm one of those, and I don't expect it to be there in just seven years when I would be eligible for full benefits.