Author Topic: Senate Republican Leader basically says GOP should fold over debt issue  (Read 6167 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20078789-503544.html

"After years of discussions and months of negotiations, I have little question that as long as this president is in the Oval Office, a real solution is probably unattainable," Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell said in remarks on the Senate floor.

Still, McConnell said Republicans would "do the responsible thing" to avoid default, suggesting that a deal on the debt ceiling could be reached without a "real" deficit reduction package.

"The president has presented us with three choices: smoke and mirrors, tax hikes, or default. Republicans choose none of the above. I had hoped to do good, but I refuse to do harm. So Republicans will choose a path that actually reflects the will of the people, which is to do the responsible thing and ensure that the government doesn't default on its obligations," he said.

No.  No.  No.

Dear sweet fluffybunnykittehs, no.

McConnell wants to let the children get their way, because it's just too hard to do the right thing.

Eff ewe, McConnell. 

Obama stands there and says old people won't get their SS checks and will be eating cat food if there is no debt deal by August 2, and the Stoopid Party rolls over and exposes their soft spots to get stabbed by the Dems.

Argh.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Also of interest in the article:

Mr. Obama has repeatedly said he wants a deal that would allow the U.S. to avoid confronting the issue again until after the 2012 elections and vowed on Monday that he would "not sign a 30-day or a 60-day or a 90-day extension."

Can you believe the gall of this guy?

God forbid he be accountable for his policies during election season. ;/
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

MicroBalrog

• friend
How did McConnel become Senate Majority Leader?

Are they chosen by seniority? Or was there a vote?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
He's not Majority Leader.

He's the Republican Leader.  Also known as the Minority Leader right now, though that title really only has meaning in a 2-party system.

The more these wimpy blue-blood GOP folk talk, the more it appears we need a 3rd party... making the concept of Majority/Minority leadership moot.
--Lysander Spooner

sanglant

• friend
we need a runoff leadership system*, the dems want a week minority leader then they can risk voting for them instead of the majority leader. >:D

*most votes, majority leader. second most votes, minority leader. one vote per congresscritter. :laugh:

HankB

• friend
. . . Obama stands there and says old people won't get their SS checks and will be eating cat food if there is no debt deal by August 2, and the Stoopid Party rolls over and exposes their soft spots to get stabbed by the Dems.
Obama's comments really are a golden opportunity - the GOP really could make a heck of a political point out of this . . . "Obama's VERY FIRST CHOICE is to starve our seniors while he continues to spend on foreign aid/Federal hiring/diversity programs/windmills/etc."

But they won't.  :facepalm:

They're The Stoopid PartyTM.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
He's not Majority Leader.

He's the Republican Leader.  Also known as the Minority Leader right now, though that title really only has meaning in a 2-party system.

The more these wimpy blue-blood GOP folk talk, the more it appears we need a 3rd party... making the concept of Majority/Minority leadership moot.

YEah, sorry. Got my terms confused. How does the minority leader get chosen?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends

Voted upon by the minority party.
--Lysander Spooner

longeyes

• friend
Someone needs to tell him he's signing the death warrant of the Republican Party if he does that.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
The other thing that irks me is ANYONE from the Senate having the bawlz to even open their damned mouths about this issue, without first having a bill originated in the House upon which the Senate shall base their work:

Quote from: that pesky Constitution thing, Article 1
Section. 7.

All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.

Debt instruments are a means of raising Revenue.  This debt debate is about authorizing the Treasury to monetize additional debt instruments.

STFU, Senate.

--Lysander Spooner

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
I went searching for an appropriate facepalm for this level of Stupid and found this one. It seems strangely appropriate on several levels.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

Obviously, they put potential Senators through a battery of rigorous tests of intelligence, character, civics, and charisma and then choose the absolute lowest-score as the winner.

Or, maybe not.  The result sure looks the same, though.

<deam_time>Would that Kentucky's OTHER senator were minority leader</dream_time>
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
"Stupidity" is much too kind for these traitorous whores.  Let's call it what it really is.   First McConnell says he can't deal with this President, then, unaccountably, he throws him a life preserver, hauls him aboard, and hands him the exclusive keys to the pilothouse.  He appears ready to cede vast Congressional power to the Executive.  Why?  Stupidity?  I really don't think so.  Maybe McConnell is afraid of facing the people if Obama goes ahead and tries to stop Social Security payments?  The man is too feckless to represent anyone, much less lead.  We need fighters, not "negotiators."

It is all unraveling, and, frankly, it needs to.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/mcconnells-plan-confuses-the-chattering-class/2011/03/29/gIQAxEAGBI_blog.html?hpid=z3
If you go onto Twitter or check some Web sites (right and left) you will find loads of chatter about the McConnell debt disapproval plan. Most of it is wrong. Members of the chattering class are so anxious to chatter that they feel compelled to do so without understanding the subject matter at hand. Throw in some bad faith (certain right-wing bloggers would declare the GOP leadership traitors if they proposed only $4 trillion in cuts and got President Obama to decline to run for reelection), add in some liberal suspicion (warranted since this is not the first time that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has eaten their lunch), and presto: You get some of the worst “reporting” in recent memory.

more

an alternative opinion
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Waitone

• friend
After the election I proposed a scenario whereby we would know in 6 months whether or not there will be a viable republican party in the future depending on how it dealt with Obama and his party members.  The TEA party types breathed life into a dead republican establishment.  If establishment republicans reverted to type the TEA party types would simply decline to support it.  So far Boehner seems to have grown a spine; McConnell doesn't feel the same heat as does Boehner.  The one time in the last month I've listened to Limbaugh he was pontificating that one man stands between Obama and reelection and that is Boehner.  Give Obama the grand deal and Obama wins because it takes one of his two biggest failings off the table.  I find myself in agreement.  And if Boehner caves my original schedule looks prophetic.

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MechAg94

• friend
After the election I proposed a scenario whereby we would know in 6 months whether or not there will be a viable republican party in the future depending on how it dealt with Obama and his party members.  The TEA party types breathed life into a dead republican establishment.  If establishment republicans reverted to type the TEA party types would simply decline to support it.  So far Boehner seems to have grown a spine; McConnell doesn't feel the same heat as does Boehner.  The one time in the last month I've listened to Limbaugh he was pontificating that one man stands between Obama and reelection and that is Boehner.  Give Obama the grand deal and Obama wins because it takes one of his two biggest failings off the table.  I find myself in agreement.  And if Boehner caves my original schedule looks prophetic.

If Boehner caves, he can forget gaining any more seats in Congress and might not get reelected himself.  Rush mentioned that public opinion is trending far in favor of NOT increasing the debt limit and FOR cutting spending.  If Boehner bucks that trend, he is a fool. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/mcconnells-plan-confuses-the-chattering-class/2011/03/29/gIQAxEAGBI_blog.html?hpid=z3
If you go onto Twitter or check some Web sites (right and left) you will find loads of chatter about the McConnell debt disapproval plan. Most of it is wrong. Members of the chattering class are so anxious to chatter that they feel compelled to do so without understanding the subject matter at hand. Throw in some bad faith (certain right-wing bloggers would declare the GOP leadership traitors if they proposed only $4 trillion in cuts and got President Obama to decline to run for reelection), add in some liberal suspicion (warranted since this is not the first time that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has eaten their lunch), and presto: You get some of the worst “reporting” in recent memory.

more

an alternative opinion

So you're of the mind that Mitch McConnell is just snookering those leftist rubes, huh?  I heard Jim DeMint saying McConnell's plan would go nowhere.  I hope he's right.  Obama has his back to the wall, and McConnell wants to throw down his arms and retreat.  That's how it looks from here.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
Looks to me like McConnell just had his Gresham Barrett moment.  He is through.  His is just not reading the TEA leaves.  McConnell is just another establishment republican who is clueless as to what is happening out here in Hicksville USA.  I think he just ensured he will joint Orin Hatch and Dick Lugar in spending more time with their families.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

zxcvbob

• friend
Looks to me like McConnell just had his Gresham Barrett moment.  He is through.  His is just not reading the TEA leaves.  McConnell is just another establishment republican who is clueless as to what is happening out here in Hicksville USA.  I think he just ensured he will joint Orin Hatch and Dick Lugar in spending more time with their families.
I was thinking his Neville Chamberlain moment.  [barf]
"It's good, though..."

longeyes

• friend
When is Pixar going to do an animated version of these characters? :facepalm:
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Grahamnesty has weighed in on the debt issue:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/07/14/politics/main20079379.shtml

Quote from: Grahamnesty
"Our problem is, we made a big deal about this for three months," Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina told The New York Times, illustrating the difficult position in which senior Republicans find themselves.

"How many Republicans have been on TV saying, 'I am not going to raise the debt limit,'" Graham told the newspaper, including himself among the GOP members dealing with the seemingly no-win situation. "We have no one to blame but ourselves."

How about you actually stick to your promises?

What a Grahamhole.
--Lysander Spooner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
http://www.ronpaul.com/2011-07-14/conviction-not-compromise-ron-pauls-first-2012-tv-ad/

...and, with Ron Paul's new ad, it'll really be an albatross around the neck of the GOP leaders....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Waitone

• friend
Quote from: Grahamnesty
"Our problem is, we made a big deal about this for three months," Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina told The New York Times, illustrating the difficult position in which senior Republicans find themselves.

"How many Republicans have been on TV saying, 'I am not going to raise the debt limit,'" Graham told the newspaper, including himself among the GOP members dealing with the seemingly no-win situation. "We have no one to blame but ourselves."
See how much easier life you be if you just didn't stand for anything.  No principals, no belief, no guiding lights and you've got maximum flexibility.  I hope Graham finds a new gig cause he won't survive the next election.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
I hope Graham finds a new gig cause he won't survive the next election.

Every election I hope for that and every election my fellow voters send him back to Washington...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

sanglant

• friend
When is Pixar going to do an animated version of these characters? :facepalm:
not Pixar, but here you are. i'll leave the casting to you. :angel: [popcorn]