Author Topic: Al Qaeda Rebranding Itself to Improve Image, Arab Diplomat Says  (Read 6200 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Al Qaeda Rebranding Itself to Improve Image, Arab Diplomat Says
« on: December 14, 2011, 09:45:24 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/12/14/al-qaeda-rebranding-itself-to-improve-image-arab-diplomat-says/

Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula wants to rebrand itself, to get rid of the negative image that it gets from the larger terror organization.  They are increasingly going by the name "Ansar al Sharia" which stands for Army Of Islamic Law.

Mash the link for more.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HankB

• friend
Re: Al Qaeda Rebranding Itself to Improve Image, Arab Diplomat Says
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:50:32 AM »
. . . Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula wants to rebrand itself, to get rid of the negative image that it gets from the larger terror organization . . . 
What are they going to do, switch to biodegradable explosives in their car bombs and suicide belts, and lead-free bullets when they machine-gun shoppers and schoolchildren?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:39:16 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/12/14/al-qaeda-rebranding-itself-to-improve-image-arab-diplomat-says/

They are increasingly going by the name "Ansar al Sharia" which stands for Army Of Islamic Law.

Oh, great. Now, even Al Qaeda has gone PC on us.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
"Ansar al Sharia" which stands for Army Of Islamic Law.

Goody.  

Carrie Nation with a machine gun.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 01:31:50 PM »
A kinder, gentler Al-Qaeda?  I love it.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 03:40:22 PM »
A kinder, gentler Al-Qaeda?  I love it.

Works for me. We wasted the folks responsible for 9/11, Cole, et al and the rest go away. That's called victory. I honestly don't care what face saving gestures they make, or what they title themselves, as long as they go away, stay away and play nice enough that we don't have to kill more of 'em.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 05:17:52 PM »
Well, the IRA sorta did that a few years back ...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »
Well, the IRA sorta did that a few years back ...  =|

Yes, and where are they now?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 07:15:13 PM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 10:05:44 PM »
Reminds me of:

Blackwater >  Xe > Academi
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 10:09:23 PM »
Maybe the Obama campaign sent over a few advisers to help them with their "hope & change" message.....

;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 10:48:28 PM »
Maybe the Obama campaign sent over a few advisers to help them with their "hope & change" message.....

;/
Sending advisors to Al Qaeda? That makes me immediately think of a Joe Pesci movie - Eight Heads in a Duffle Bag.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 11:25:50 PM »
Reminds me of:

Blackwater >  Xe > Academi

Except Academi is now forbidden from taking essentially any foreign contracts involving weapons, paramilitary training or advanced technology due to violations of US export control laws. They're still allowed USG contracts, domestic and case-by-case foreign export licenses.

That was a fun briefing. So in this case, the name changes are actually an attempt to distance themselves from previous activities. Though I doubt it will work in Academi's case.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 11:50:47 PM »
Eirinn  ???

Are they now the same IRA of the days of yore?

Oh wait. Not. Laying low and waiting, in itself, weakens a terror group.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 12:38:10 AM »

;/

Isn't that NASA's new mission?   [tinfoil]

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 06:26:41 AM »
Fecal matter by any name is still a turd.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Lee

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 08:05:46 PM »
Well, the IRA sorta did that a few years back ...

and some Israelis.  
Or as Newt would say...post Ottoman Freedom Fighters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irgun
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_David_Hotel_Bombing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deir_Yassin_massacre

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 12:31:40 PM »

;/
That's a win.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 01:43:47 PM »
Cardigan sweaters...Welcome to Abu Musab al-Zarkawi's Neighborhood.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame