Author Topic: Confidential docs seized during unrelated raid.  (Read 6142 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Confidential docs seized during unrelated raid.
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2013, 02:19:14 AM »
This, and

How do DC beat cops and SWAT officers, serving a fairly mundane warrant for contraband guns and ammo... even know what classified/confidential/sensitive government information looks like?

They normally say " [Agency Name] For Official Use Only" or "Sensitive" or some such in large colored letters.  It's not that hard to tell.  If they saw the header page without the FOIA request attached it would look suspicious.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Confidential docs seized during unrelated raid.
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2013, 05:09:18 AM »
They normally say " [Agency Name] For Official Use Only" or "Sensitive" or some such in large colored letters.  It's not that hard to tell.  If they saw the header page without the FOIA request attached it would look suspicious.
yup and in one of the articles thats exactly what is described in the affadavit.
did the reporter not look at post raid paperwork?
the documents she "didn't know were missing" were on the receipt.

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Re: Confidential docs seized during unrelated raid.
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 05:56:58 AM »
Just one more reason to not keep physical documents and only retain digital copies in encrypted format.

Been paying attention to the news about the NSA recently?  Encryption isn't going to save you if they have a zero day exploit into your system.

physical copies are actually better in this case.  Just be sure you encode/use pseudonyms for any personally identifiable information for your sources.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2013, 06:00:48 AM »
Been paying attention to the news about the NSA recently?  Encryption isn't going to save you if they have a zero day exploit into your system.

physical copies are actually better in this case.  Just be sure you encode/use pseudonyms for any personally identifiable information for your sources.

Encrypt the computer enough that they'll take it to the lab.  Thermite and a RFID trigger in your laptop an antenna built into your front door.  Laptop outgates the house.....fwoosh.

>:D >:D

(this might end up with added charges depending on how fast the guy taking the laptop drops it but they won't have your data.)

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2013, 07:44:23 AM »
Ah, yes.  General Warrants make a return to the present.  Seems such warrants were a major irritant to the colonists and a precipitant of the revolution.  A Start Page search of general warrants show a lot of activity with the concept here and now.

https://www.eff.org/files/filenode/att/generalwarrantsmemo.pdf  is of particular interest due to its brevity and source.  The nut
Over the past few years our government has argued that the modern exigencies of national security have changed the rules of the game and that the niceties of judicial process simply no longer apply. Madison likely would have rejected this argument, but he wouldn’t have been surprised by it. “Perhaps it is a universal truth,” Madison wrote in a 1798 letter to Thomas Jefferson, “that loss of liberty at home is to be charged against provisions against danger, real or pretended, from abroad.”
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2013, 08:35:46 AM »
thanks i learned sumthin today
i don't believe this was a general warrant.

i wonder if thet realize how far up the creek he is and are looking for any legal crevice to hide in
damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2013, 11:28:44 AM »
Ah, yes.  General Warrants make a return to the present.  Seems such warrants were a major irritant to the colonists and a precipitant of the revolution.  A Start Page search of general warrants show a lot of activity with the concept here and now.

https://www.eff.org/files/filenode/att/generalwarrantsmemo.pdf  is of particular interest due to its brevity and source.  The nut

I had always heard of those referred to as "Writs of Assistance."  Abominable, no matter the name attached to this particular dung pile.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!