Author Topic: Man accused of shooting CCPD officers found not guilty  (Read 6170 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Man accused of shooting CCPD officers found not guilty
« on: December 15, 2016, 04:23:16 PM »
I saw this on another site and thought y'all would be interested in seeing this also. 
http://www.kristv.com/story/34045158/man-accused-of-shooting-ccpd-officers-found-not-guilty

CORPUS CHRISTI -
A Nueces County jury has delivered a not guilty verdict in a case where a man accused of shooting three CCPD SWAT officers.

Ray Rosas was found to be not guilty in a shooting that happened February 19th, 2015. Police were serving a warrant at his home on Churchill Drive when they say he opened fire and shot three officers.

http://www.caller.com/story/news/crime/2016/12/13/man-acquitted-officer-involved-shooting/95396862/
Jurors explain why. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2016/12/15/the-inexplicable-prosecution-and-vindication-of-ray-rosas/?utm_term=.b81464e48d48

It appears to be a simple case of a homeowner firing on police as they attempt a no-knock raid.  No one was killed, but a few police were injured.  The suspect who was a nephew living there was not present at the time of the raid. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Man accused of shooting CCPD officers found not guilty
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 04:47:48 PM »
Wow, the jury's post-acquittal commentary sure delivered a swift kick to the prosecution's and CCPD's jimmy.  They hit most of the notes:
1. Differing treatment for regular citizens vs LEOs for the same action.
2. LEOs not doing their homework and ensuring the guy they want to arrest is actually in the residence.
3. Brazen testilying by some LEOs.
4. LEO flash bang distraction device worked as intended and defendant was distracted enough he didn't know it was LEOs tearing through his home.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 05:51:02 PM »
Sadly, justice has not been served.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 10:38:08 PM »
Sadly, justice has not been served.

True -- no police officers were prosecuted for the fuster cluck.

The bad news is that he was ever charged in the first place. And that police departments across the country continue to put themselves and the public at risk by conducting such volatile, high-stakes raids not just on people suspected of nonviolent, consensual crimes but also on people like Rosas, who aren’t even suspected of such crimes but merely happen to be related or connected to someone who is.

I've been saying for years that no knock, "dynamic entry" warrants should be totally outlawed. Same with the so-called "knock and enter" warrants, which is when the cops stand outside the door, tap a couple of times, whisper "POLICE," wait 9.73 seconds, and THEN smash down the door.

The state’s case against Rosas was weak. The cops did no surveillance on the house before the raid. They didn’t verify that Rosas’s nephew was in the home at the time of the raid. They subjected not only Rosas to the violent tactics but also his elderly, disabled mother, who could also have been injured or killed in the gunfire. The officers gave conflicting testimony about his demeanor after the raid. Some said he was uncooperative and profane (both of which would have been perfectly understandable, given the circumstances). Others said he was cooperative and apologetic. Before deliberations, the judge in the case instructed jurors to factor in the fact that the state had failed to produce some critical evidence and that they should consider that evidence unfavorable to the state. Prosecutors eventually dropped the attempted capital murder charges but pressed on with the multiple charges of aggravated assault.

Business as usual. This is why/how there are no knock, dynamic entry warrants being served at incorrect addresses, or at correct addresses except that the subject of the warrant moved out MONTHS before, yada, yada.

The CATO institute tracks this kind of stuff. It's pretty scary, actually.

A number of the comments fault the police higher-ups, and I agree with that. But there's another group that also bears a lot of culpability -- the judges who sign these warrants. They should be FORCED to read every single report of a SWAT "warrant service" in complete, agonizing, excruciating detail before they are ever allowed to consider signing one of these warrants. Better yet, the legislatures should just make all such raids illegal. They endanger the police, they endanger innocent people, and they endanger people who may live in proximity to a house being raided.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 02:13:04 AM »
A number of the comments fault the police higher-ups, and I agree with that. But there's another group that also bears a lot of culpability -- the judges who sign these warrants. They should be FORCED to read every single report of a SWAT "warrant service" in complete, agonizing, excruciating detail before they are ever allowed to consider signing one of these warrants. Better yet, the legislatures should just make all such raids illegal. They endanger the police, they endanger innocent people, and they endanger people who may live in proximity to a house being raided.

A number of police departments have ended the practice of no-knock warrants and raids outside of things like hostage situations.

The police chiefs and sheriffs generally say that they don't really miss them.  If a suspected drug house has enough drugs to be worth raiding(as opposed to raiding a home, finding half a blunt, and calling it good), they aren't going to be able to get rid of them in an hour, much less a few minutes or the seconds that are used to sell no-knocks.

Instead, they get a little strategic.  What I've heard:
1.  Tapping the sewer line out of the house.  Drugs come out of that, those in the house not only get drug charges, but attempted destruction of evidence charges...
2.  Actually staking out the house.  Find out how many are in it, as well as if it's really a drug house.
3.  Pick people up after they've left, until the place is suitably empty.  Especially wait for the kids to be out.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 07:58:44 AM »
Where have they ever tapped a sewer line?
I can flush 50 g's worth of dope in 30 seconds. So long as it's not weed
And there are evidentiary concerns your hypothesis leaves unaddressed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 11:55:15 AM »
From reading the linked story, I think what really seems to have killed the prosecution's case is charging the victim with the shooting of the cop who was actually shot by another officer - in effect saying "We want to punish YOU because OUR trigger happy cop is an incompetent moron."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
Re:
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 03:24:41 PM »

The biggest question to me is if the potential for destroyed evidence is worth the risk of injury or death to police officers and the people in the location.  However, I agree with the other idea that there are other ways to take control of the location with less risk. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 10:03:06 PM »
Good. While I don't condone shooting cops, do stupid crap win a prize.
The case law is worth it alone.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 10:07:12 PM »
Good. While I don't condone shooting cops, do stupid crap win a prize.
The case law is worth it alone.

Well, he stopped shooting once he realized they were cops. As far as the homeowner was concerned, he was shooting a bunch of home invaders. He should never have been charged.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re:
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 10:19:18 PM »

1.  It was in a news story a while back.  Probably a semi-unique opportunity on their part.
2.  Is even $50k worth of dope worth the risks of a high shock value SWAT raid?
3.  It's not my hypothesis.  It's the statements from police departments where they've ended the practice of going after presumed drug houses with no-knock warrants.

Personally, I think that the police should explicitly be told that, while they may still be able to do no-knock raids, that since such raids are so high-speed and deliberately disruptive to the senses of the occupants, that the occupants will not be considered "competent" during the raid because it's so high speed that they can't make informed decisions.  Ergo, They get shot, by the occupants or OTHER police, which happens about as often(because SWAT raids are fast and often chaotic), that it's on their own heads.  No murder charges.

I remember in one case that the police and prosecutor tried to press murder charges on a home owner who was completely unarmed because one SWAT officer shot and killed another SWAT officer.  In his case they found a minor amount of drugs.

HankB

• friend
Re:
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 09:04:17 AM »
. . . I remember in one case that the police and prosecutor tried to press murder charges on a home owner who was completely unarmed because one SWAT officer shot and killed another SWAT officer.  In his case they found a minor amount of drugs.
I remember a case where police and prosecutor tried to press murder charges on an escaped prisoner because a police officer responding to the call ran his vehicle off the road and fatally crashed his squad car . . . some 40 miles away from the scene.

Were I a juror and heard a DA trying to press something this asinine . . . I'd have a very strong inclination to dismiss EVERYTHING the prosecution presented, since their credibility would be zero.

I suspect this sort of thing was at play in the current case being discussed here.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 09:58:55 AM »
Those kinda charges are pretty routine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 11:53:18 AM »
Those kinda charges are pretty routine.

Too true -- and that's a problem that needs to be dealt with.

This wasn't even a case of jury nullification. Jury nullification applies when the defendant is legally guilty of the charges but the jury refuses to convict. This was a jury doing what a jury is supposed to do -- telling the prosecutor and the cops they had no case. Big thumbs up for the jury.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 08:26:56 AM »

- They threw in a flashbang before identifying themselves. Even if they did 'announce' themselves afterwards, it should count as a no-knock.
- Unshockingly, no video from a body camera or the SWAT vehicle
- No pre-raid survey
- Didn’t make sure the person the warrant named was in the house before the raid

Honestly, I'm generally leery of no-knock warrants. You can't blame someone for shooting random unidentified strangers breaking into their house. There theoretically is a higher bar for no-knock warrants, but it should be better codified with actual sanctions if said bar is not met. Because it regularly is not.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 09:03:29 AM »
You can't blame someone for shooting random unidentified strangers breaking into their house.
Correct.

And armed men screaming "POLICE" or "WARRANT" as they break in prior to presenting a warrant or allowing the homeowner to view their credentials does NOT constitute identification in my book.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re:
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 09:18:22 AM »
The biggest question to me is if the potential for destroyed evidence is worth the risk of injury or death to police officers and the people in the location.  However, I agree with the other idea that there are other ways to take control of the location with less risk. 

Edward will always side with the police, it's not worth it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re:
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 09:35:58 AM »
I can flush 50 g's worth of dope in 30 seconds.

Using standard inflated police "street values," that's what, two Norco and an old contact lens?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 11:30:41 AM »
A number of police departments have ended the practice of no-knock warrants and raids outside of things like hostage situations.
That.

I can't think of a situation other than a hostage or mass shooter situation where cutting utilities and waiting a day or two for them to come out isn't a better and safer strategy for everyone involved.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 12:14:15 PM »
That.

I can't think of a situation other than a hostage or mass shooter situation where cutting utilities and waiting a day or two for them to come out isn't a better and safer strategy for everyone involved.
Less opportunity to play with their neat toys . . .

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 12:25:26 PM »
Less opportunity to play with their neat toys . . .

I didn't think SWAT used the "Armadillo".  It's for patrolling high-crime areas, according to Green Bay PD  (no idea how well it works)
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 12:38:03 PM »
- They threw in a flashbang before identifying themselves. Even if they did 'announce' themselves afterwards, it should count as a no-knock.
- Unshockingly, no video from a body camera or the SWAT vehicle
- No pre-raid survey
- Didn’t make sure the person the warrant named was in the house before the raid

Honestly, I'm generally leery of no-knock warrants. You can't blame someone for shooting random unidentified strangers breaking into their house. There theoretically is a higher bar for no-knock warrants, but it should be better codified with actual sanctions if said bar is not met. Because it regularly is not.
It sounds like the lack of video is part of what pissed off the judge too.  If that video was supposed to be available and wasn't, that should warrant some pretty serious penalties on the part of the prosecution and police.  IMO, that should be illegal since it is essentially destruction of evidence.   The judge or the victim should be pressing charges against the police and prosecutors. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 12:39:48 PM »
Question for the Legal Eagles:  Since the judge mentioned all these things the prosecution failed to produce, shouldn't that be grounds for dismissal of the case or summary judgement acquittal?  The video alone should mean the judge throws it out IMO.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2016, 12:48:26 PM »
It sounds like the lack of video is part of what pissed off the judge too.  If that video was supposed to be available and wasn't, that should warrant some pretty serious penalties on the part of the prosecution and police.  IMO, that should be illegal since it is essentially destruction of evidence.   The judge or the victim should be pressing charges against the police and prosecutors. 

I'm sure it was an 'equipment malfunction'-funny how that happens when premeditated crimes are committed.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2016, 12:53:54 PM »
Question for the Legal Eagles:  Since the judge mentioned all these things the prosecution failed to produce, shouldn't that be grounds for dismissal of the case or summary judgement acquittal?  The video alone should mean the judge throws it out IMO.

IANAL, but if the judge throws out the case the prosecutor can try again with the ducks in a row this time; it's not double jeopardy.  Let a defective case goto a jury and have them acquit, and it's over.

"It's good, though..."