Author Topic: What do you get when you cross a teenager with a...  (Read 1310 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: What do you get when you cross a teenager with a...
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2024, 11:51:07 AM »
I read recently that a significant cause of senior citizen driver accidents was misjudging the speed of oncoming traffic. Well, it's sure hard to judge this when the the oncoming traffic is doing 80+ mph.

I don't know about non-seniors.

I've been appalled lately by the ridiculous driving shown in car ads. 
Believe me, I have nothing against testosterone, but do you have to prove you have it by shitty, stupid, ahole, fuckheaded driving?

Go get laid, g-dammit.

Terry, 230RN

ETA:  Heh.  I've been bragging about not having a traffic ticket for 25 years and I recently had occasion to have that checked out  officially as part of an "844" scam that was tried on me.  My last ticket was in 1990.  Heh-heh.

Heh-heh-heh. Pardon my braggadocio.  I guess it takes balls to be a good driver nowadays.  Just about anybody can be an ahole driver --that's real easy.  <outright laugh>

« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 01:16:00 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2024, 12:37:29 PM »
Last ticket I got, and it was only my 2nd, was in 1995 going up I-65 in Indiana and was because apparently I missed the construction zone speed drop sign. I'm thinking a semi blocked my view of it. As he was writing the ticket I asked where's the construction zone? Give me a dirty look as he handed me the ticket. There wasn't an actual construction zone just a sign saying slow down for one. Going back the other way on the way back I checked, yep there was a sign but no actual construction.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2024, 02:11:54 PM »
The body shop folks here have been doing a gangbuster business... Sideswipes, mirrors torn off, etc., etc.

The car that gets stolen is usually a total. Newer cars get jacked, and they get the key.
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2024, 06:37:59 PM »
Last ticket I got, and it was only my 2nd, was in 1995 going up I-65 in Indiana and was because apparently I missed the construction zone speed drop sign. I'm thinking a semi blocked my view of it. As he was writing the ticket I asked where's the construction zone? Give me a dirty look as he handed me the ticket. There wasn't an actual construction zone just a sign saying slow down for one. Going back the other way on the way back I checked, yep there was a sign but no actual construction.

My 1990 ticket was the result of having to slow down from 55 to 25 northbound at a little dippy town on Route 85, Denver to the Grasslands.  The sign was pretty much hidden by trees and bushes and just past a 55mph highway sign.  Plead not guilty, the Magistrate listened to me very carefully, then offhandedly said "Guilty." Classic speed trap.  Fine was $35, translates to around  $100 in today's dollars.

A man's gotta know when the fix is in.  Bendova and take it, or protest and then bendova and take it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2024, 07:43:38 PM »
My last ticket, about 3 years ago, was on the same stretch of road.

I wasn't paying attention, was late for work, and was clocked doing 52 in the 35.

Just today I noticed that new signs have gone up notifying drivers that the school zone will be photo speed enforced starting 29 April.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2024, 12:25:45 AM »
My commute takes me past an elementary school.

On my way TO work, there's a white sign with black letters that says "School Zone Ahead." A short distance beyond that is a yellow sign with flashing lights that says "School Zone - Speed Limit 25 MPH when flashing." A short distance past the school drive way is a sign that says "End of School Zone."

On my way FROM work, there's a white sign with black letters that says "School Zone Ahead."  A short distance past the school drive way is a sign that says "End of School Zone."

Anybody see the difference?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2024, 07:26:12 AM »
I read recently that a significant cause of senior citizen driver accidents was misjudging the speed of oncoming traffic. Well, it's sure hard to judge this when the the oncoming traffic is doing 80+ mph.

I don't know about non-seniors.

I've been appalled lately by the ridiculous driving shown in car ads. 
Believe me, I have nothing against testosterone, but do you have to prove you have it by shitty, stupid, ahole, fuckheaded driving?

Go get laid, g-dammit.

Terry, 230RN

ETA:  Heh.  I've been bragging about not having a traffic ticket for 25 years and I recently had occasion to have that checked out  officially as part of an "844" scam that was tried on me.  My last ticket was in 1990.  Heh-heh.

Heh-heh-heh. Pardon my braggadocio.  I guess it takes balls to be a good driver nowadays.  Just about anybody can be an ahole driver --that's real easy.  <outright laugh>

The driving in car commercials is tame compared to how the idiots drive out in the real world.

My favorite is when they whip between lanes cutting everybody off. Saw a retard try his next whip change too quick and he broke loose and shot across five lanes sideways.

Called 911 for the dumb *expletive deleted*ck and then 911 dispatch wanted to act like I was an idiot for not suicide diving across five lanes of traffic at night to assist him (I was in the fast lane) and then didn’t want to believe me that it had actually happened when I didn’t have sight of what happened to him as he went off the road
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2024, 08:12:21 AM »
My commute takes me past an elementary school.

On my way TO work, there's a white sign with black letters that says "School Zone Ahead." A short distance beyond that is a yellow sign with flashing lights that says "School Zone - Speed Limit 25 MPH when flashing." A short distance past the school drive way is a sign that says "End of School Zone."

On my way FROM work, there's a white sign with black letters that says "School Zone Ahead."  A short distance past the school drive way is a sign that says "End of School Zone."

Anybody see the difference?

Yep, that may have to do with the prevailing flow of traffic into and out of the school entrance, how the road is used, etc. It's likely that the traffic engineers who did the study on that intersection didn't believe that the flashing yellow light system was necessary for the other side of the road.

The school across the street from me recently cut in a bus entrance on the street into my community.

There's no plan to put up flashing lights, speed limit signs, etc. outside of the general "school student crossing" signs even though there are a lot of walking students on that road.

Why?

Because that road is low traffic volume, has a 25 mph speed limit already (residential) has multiple stop signs along its length, and terminates in my community in a dead-end round about. And the school provides crossing guards at the intersections who are, often, county police officers.

Oddly enough, though, the main intersection for the high school (on the road where the accident occurred), didn't have those flashing yellow school zone signs until fairly recently, and that one I never understood because there are a lot of walkers on that route who cross that main road. And that's a primary bus entrance.

My guess is that it wasn't seen to be necessary because the light at that intersection has pedestrian crossing controls on it.

My other guess is that the school system around here, the 11th largest in the United States, is a bunch of cheap, lying, sack of *expletive deleted*it idiots. My community went hammer and tong with them over the renovations to the school across from my place (for which the new bus entrance was cut).

The lies the told the community to drum up support for the major reconstruction project they've engaged on were stunning.

For years we demanded that they deal with parents who were using our narrow street as a kiss in ride for their whelps. Parking in our private community, block our entrance, completely blocking the road, and more.

"We've sent out messages and e-mails, we've done everything we can! It's just too much trouble to have a teacher down there during beginning and end of school day!"

Their tune changed when they wanted community support for the building project. They finally agreed to a written in proffer that at least one teacher would be at that entrance every day to deal with parents. They're doing it, but everything else that they "promised" but which wasn't written into the proffers?

So sorry, we can't do that!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 08:27:42 AM by K Frame »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2024, 02:26:40 PM »
Back about 2012, when I was driving expedited freight runs, I was up in northern indhio, and it was about midnight. I'm doing 62 mph, cruise control, which was the truck's sweet spot. I see lights coming to pass me. It is two cars.  They pass, and I dialed 911...

"Hey, I'm on I-whatever at about milemarker... 90, and I have a moron alert for  you."

"Yessir, what is the problem?"

"I just got passed by two cars doing around 75, and here's the fun part..."

"Yessir, speeding is bad..."

"They were about ten feet apart."

"That doesn't sound safe."

"Because that's how long the tow rope was... hang on... hang on... Okay... You need to send someone to the bridge at mile 92 - looks like the rear car pitted the front car when they tried to take the exit... One of them is off the road, and the other one is under the bridge. I cannot tell if anyone was injured."

"Thanks for the help."
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2024, 04:37:07 PM »
""Because that's how long the tow rope was... hang on... hang on... Okay... You need to send someone to the bridge at mile 92 - looks like the rear car pitted the front car when they tried to take the exit... One of them is off the road, and the other one is under the bridge. I cannot tell if anyone was injured."

I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or laugh until I cry...

Maybe I'll just give Seren her dinner and start mine instead.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: Today at 03:07:23 PM »
I thought "civilian" towing on interstates (and probably other places) was illegal ITFP.  Main thing about vehicle towing and water skiing is never let the line go slack.